Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 7,347 times

Advertisements

So... My husband got a job that will require us to be in the Stevens Point area. I am a new nurse and will need to find a job also. We have two kids, 6 and 7. Can anyone give me information about where are good elementary schools, good hospitals to work for, and good places to live. We want to be around other families.

We will be looking for a house. We are looking for a 4 bedroom, 2+ bath house... Any info on pricing would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 06:51 PM

22 posts, read 104,535 times
I went to the UW-SP so my perspective living there as a 20-24 year old college student might be a little different than yours will be as a parent..That said, it is a nice city. Personally I like the older neighborhoods in Stevens Point proper. I was not much of a fan of Plover or Whiting...some of those areas seemed like weird small-town sprawly incoherent mess to me. The areas right in Stevens Point along the Wisconsin River are pretty nice, they seemed pretty family-friendly to me. I loved the natural areas surrounding the city--I put many many miles biking and running on 'Green Circle' that circles the city.

I visit from time to time, it's changed & grown on the fringe quite a bit in the last 10-15 years. I recall visiting the hospital once after, well, a night of drinking (you might as well brace yourself--it's a college town and there are lots of guys like me who get liquored up and get hurt acting stupid). Anyway, the hospital was St. Michaels, I believe, and it seemed pretty nice, at least while getting my head sutured up. There's also Rice Clinic nearby. Everything is near the center of town, not far from the university. If you live in this area, you might be able to walk just about anywhere or have very short commutes. Stevens Point is generally a nice well-educated, artsy but not yuppie or overbearing town. Lots of diversity (in a good way) for a city its size. Neat little downtown.

I didn't have kids at the time, so I can't help you with the elementary schools. I think the pricing is reasonable for housing.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:41 PM

6 posts, read 16,774 times
Hi!
By the time you read this, you'll be in this area. I used to work at St. Mike's. Where I was working, I was well cared for as an employee. If you get a chance, you might enjoy working there.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:57 PM

196 posts, read 969,801 times
I knew a guy from Stevens point and he loved it there.
Welcome!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:22 PM

862 posts, read 1,051,497 times
I'm an old man,lived in 17 states,been in 49.Big City to small town.
IMHO Stevens Point may well be THE nicest small city in the USA.
And I'm from Vermont via Syracuse.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:21 PM

9 posts, read 42,954 times
I am a Point transplant having been here 18 years now... as for hospitals... St. Michael's is the in town hospital but due to its recent policy of politics have left many people unhappy. Progressive hospital is in Wausau and even Rapids seems to be coming along. You will probably enjoy living in Plover rather than in Point... the two towns "butt up against" each other and are only minutes from one side to the other... Even if you live in Plover, high school goes to Point ..... they have their own elementary schools in Plover. Great place to raise a family... easy to live 10 minutes outside of city and be in the country. We haven't locked our doors since we moved here. !!!

Old 09-22-2008, 12:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
This thread is 18 months old and the OP never even came back. Just so y'all know.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:23 PM

221 posts, read 1,195,545 times
I noticed the original post was quite old, too, but I sure am enjoying reading about Stevens Point. It has been one of the towns I fell in love with long ago, and it is a place I have seriously considered in where should move. It seems to be a nice, charming town, with lots of recreational opps, and the college offers degrees that interest me. So I love reading what anyone has to say about Stevens Point.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,310 times
Default hoping to relocate to Stevens Point

Hello,

This is my first time ever posting to a blog! My husband has a job opportunity and we are thinking of moving to Stevens Point. We live in a suburb of Chicago and I've travelled throughout Wisconsin many, many times. We have family in Wauwatosa. I have always liked Stevens Point.

We are both in our mid-50s and wonder if there are activities for people our age. I am a teacher and he is a counselor. We know that Stevens Point is a college town and like that fact. We would like ideally to live in a rural area but hesitate to do that because we want to meet people. We wonder if being in town would be best.

I know that it is easier to meet people when you have kids, but, obviously, our kids are grown! Does anyone have any suggestions for us?
Thanks!

Old 11-06-2008, 12:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I had family in Stevens Point once, but I don't know if they're still there. I know my grandparents might have moved to Las Cruces, New Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin