Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 8,893 times

Advertisements

I grew up camping every summer at Sundance Campground. I've recently learned that it no longer exists. I drove to the area and was stunned by how grown over it was. I'd love to find out if there is any land available for sale in the area, expecially where the campground once was.

Most of my childhood memories tie back to my summers at Sundance. If you ever camped there, I'd love to hear from you.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 06:16 AM

7 posts, read 40,325 times
I spent a lot of summers up at Sundance campground, my family and I started going there in the early '80s, later I continued to go there on my own with friends. I think the end came around 1992 or 1993, the very last year only families that had a year long lease could camp. I have many photos one that I really enjoy was a photo of the Sundance sign that was taken to "burn up" the last photo on a role of film.

Sundance was a great campground the likes of which I have not seen in a long time. I think what was their demise is their lack of advertising, and the tourist information in Hayward did not give their info to readily since they were not in Sawyer county. I would like to hear yours or anyones stories about Sundance campground.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:03 AM

1 posts, read 8,658 times
I'm looking for a place to camp and sail this August. A friend told me about Sundance campground, and this forum is the only place where it came up on the web. The Eau Claire Lake chain sounds wonderful. Know of anyplace you can camp on it? Thanks.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 8,450 times
I spent almost every summer of my childhood on Upper Eau Claire Lake. I am 29 now and havent been nack in probably 10 years but it is a place I will never forget. Aside from the stunning natural beauty of both the earth and the people which inhabit this area and the nearest town of Barnes this was a place where many life lessons were learned. My grandfather owned a cabin on the lake and it was there I learned how to swim, ski, fish and for all intensive purposes become a man. My grandfather was very involved in the community and church. Barnes community church was built when I was maybe 6 or 7 and I remember going there to see the progress the men had made everyday. There used to be a little restaurant called 'The coffee cup' on the way to church and grandpa and grandma always stopped there to have coffee and I had a piece of pie. I also fondly remember a bait shop I belive was called Jim's Bait at the corner of the highway and lake road. We frequented this place and Grandpa was friends with "Jim". There were certain traditions for the males in our family which had been started by my Uncle Paul who was my grandparents only son and my mothers younger brother. When you were big enough and strong enough you were allowed to try to swim to the other side of the lake or to the island. Grandpa would follow youin one of the boats in case you got tired. I was taught about boats at a very young age and was first allowed to commandeer a canoe and then a fishing boat and then finally the power boat for skiing. There was also a pontoon though I had no desire to drive it made for wonderful afternoons on the lake in which Grandma would pack us all a big picnic lunch and we would go out on the lake to eat, fish and swim off the boat. I made some good friends at the lake and was especially close with 2 young men named Benji and Brian. Benji didnt live at the lake he was in town because his father was the pastor at Barnes church. Many days his father drove him to the cottage and would sit and talk to Grandpa (who was a retired minister) about things while Benji and I played in the lake or the woods which seem to surround everything. Sunday afternoon was usually some whiffleball games at Benji's house after church. He was a big Twins fan. I hated the twins. Brian was a neighbor at the lake whose Grandparents also owned a cabin down the shore from us. He was better friends with my little sister but we got into mischief anyway. I remember going to the dump and watching the bears. When I was old enough I was allowed to camp out on the island overnight. We would pack our canoe up and Grandma would make sure we had plenty of food for the trip. We had to hide our canoe because camping was not allowed but it sure was fun to have the island to explore. My Grandmother died a couple of years ago and my Grandfather died just recently at the age of 92 and the cabin is no longer in my family as it had become a chore to put the dock in the water and manage the boats when they got old. Had I been in a financial position at the time of sale to afford this place I would have bought it immediately so I could share with my wife and children and nieces and nephews and In Laws and anyone else I could convince to make the drive up to the northwoods the pure joy that seemed to inevitably accompany my every trip. I have lost contact with all of the people that became a family to me and wish that I was still able to make that trip every summer. I try to convince myself that the nostalgia I have is more for childhood than for the lake and the woods and the people but I know inside that a trip there today at age 29 would be just as beautiful. I would obviously miss my grandparents and some of their friends who have passed on but life springs new and they would want me to share this place with younger generations. Hello to the Berg's and Graver's. My grandparents were Mildred and Ervin Schmidt. I am Dianne's son. My name is Jason Johnson or as Benji affectionately nicknamed me "Tex".

Old 04-18-2008, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 8,444 times
Unhappy Sundance Campground

I'm shocked to learn that Sundance no longer exists. I grew up going to Sundance almost every summer for like 10 years in the 80's. I'm so bummed.

Sundance brought back so many memories of the good parts of my childhood.

Wow

Old 07-01-2008, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 8,267 times
Default Sundance Campground

Wow how funny it is to see comments on the memories of Sundance Campground. today i was researching the address to the camp ground because I had to give it to a friend whom is coming to the lake this weekend for the 4th of July. I drive it by heart every summer, and couldn't tell you the address after 20+ years. I also grew up there in the summers at the campground. My grand parents had a camp sight there for over 30 years I bet. I used to work there in the general store when I was 14-17. It was a great time. So peaceful and beautiful. In the early to mid 90's the campground closed and was sold to my family, so we could enjoy camping and keep the memories we had. There are a few people who have camped there for 30+ years and they rent a site for the summer, it is no longer a public campground. Some of the land was sold off and is now private property with homes built. I am fortunate that my parents kept a huge chunk of land and one of the beaches for our private use. I look forward to going their this weeknd with family and friends to continue the great memories, and make new ones. Suzi

Old 07-08-2008, 03:08 AM

1 posts, read 8,230 times
Default Sundance

Wow this is way too weird! My familly too grew up making our summer memories at Sundance! We must have started camping there when I was 6-7 years old. (25+ years ago) I learned how to waterski there, my brother & I were always the first ones to ski at the start of the season, and the last! The movies behind the store, (woody woodpecker) renting the paddle boat to go to the island and spending the day at the packed beach with everyone, and ending the day playing ghost in the graveyard! My parents are still friends with the owners and are able to keep on enjoying it. Just seen you Suzi there this past weekend!!! What a wonderful time! We built a "cabin" down the road, and I too would love to be on that lake! That's what I am doing now, looking at the property for sale and found these posts. Lots of wonderful memories at Sundance! Thank you Suzi & family!!!!!!

Lori

Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 AM

Jim's baits is still there, at least as of 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplej1978 View Post
I spent almost every summer of my childhood on Upper Eau Claire Lake. I am 29 now and havent been nack in probably 10 years but it is a place I will never forget. Aside from the stunning natural beauty of both the earth and the people which inhabit this area and the nearest town of Barnes this was a place where many life lessons were learned. My grandfather owned a cabin on the lake and it was there I learned how to swim, ski, fish and for all intensive purposes become a man. My grandfather was very involved in the community and church. Barnes community church was built when I was maybe 6 or 7 and I remember going there to see the progress the men had made everyday. There used to be a little restaurant called 'The coffee cup' on the way to church and grandpa and grandma always stopped there to have coffee and I had a piece of pie. I also fondly remember a bait shop I belive was called Jim's Bait at the corner of the highway and lake road. We frequented this place and Grandpa was friends with "Jim". There were certain traditions for the males in our family which had been started by my Uncle Paul who was my grandparents only son and my mothers younger brother. When you were big enough and strong enough you were allowed to try to swim to the other side of the lake or to the island. Grandpa would follow youin one of the boats in case you got tired. I was taught about boats at a very young age and was first allowed to commandeer a canoe and then a fishing boat and then finally the power boat for skiing. There was also a pontoon though I had no desire to drive it made for wonderful afternoons on the lake in which Grandma would pack us all a big picnic lunch and we would go out on the lake to eat, fish and swim off the boat. I made some good friends at the lake and was especially close with 2 young men named Benji and Brian. Benji didnt live at the lake he was in town because his father was the pastor at Barnes church. Many days his father drove him to the cottage and would sit and talk to Grandpa (who was a retired minister) about things while Benji and I played in the lake or the woods which seem to surround everything. Sunday afternoon was usually some whiffleball games at Benji's house after church. He was a big Twins fan. I hated the twins. Brian was a neighbor at the lake whose Grandparents also owned a cabin down the shore from us. He was better friends with my little sister but we got into mischief anyway. I remember going to the dump and watching the bears. When I was old enough I was allowed to camp out on the island overnight. We would pack our canoe up and Grandma would make sure we had plenty of food for the trip. We had to hide our canoe because camping was not allowed but it sure was fun to have the island to explore. My Grandmother died a couple of years ago and my Grandfather died just recently at the age of 92 and the cabin is no longer in my family as it had become a chore to put the dock in the water and manage the boats when they got old. Had I been in a financial position at the time of sale to afford this place I would have bought it immediately so I could share with my wife and children and nieces and nephews and In Laws and anyone else I could convince to make the drive up to the northwoods the pure joy that seemed to inevitably accompany my every trip. I have lost contact with all of the people that became a family to me and wish that I was still able to make that trip every summer. I try to convince myself that the nostalgia I have is more for childhood than for the lake and the woods and the people but I know inside that a trip there today at age 29 would be just as beautiful. I would obviously miss my grandparents and some of their friends who have passed on but life springs new and they would want me to share this place with younger generations. Hello to the Berg's and Graver's. My grandparents were Mildred and Ervin Schmidt. I am Dianne's son. My name is Jason Johnson or as Benji affectionately nicknamed me "Tex".

Old 08-04-2008, 11:32 AM

Everyone has lots of great memories including me and my family. One thing is missing did anyone ever catch fish? I remember a lot of good times but the fishing was difficult with the clear water.

BTW if there is interest I still have the brochure that I can scan and post

Old 08-04-2008, 01:59 PM

Jim's Bait:

http://www.eauclairelakes.com/jimsbaitnconveniencestore.htm] (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpkid View Post
Jim's baits is still there, at least as of 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: