Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:05 AM

6 posts, read 6,914 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move next year to a family friendly year round lake front home. We have had two lakefront homes in the past. Would like to stay out of southern or middle of Wisconsin. Thought about Lake Wisconsin- Lodi, but would like other suggestions. Do not want to live directly in Madison or Milwaukee. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 06:35 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,027,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappichino View Post
We are looking to move next year to a family friendly year round lake front home. We have had two lakefront homes in the past. Would like to stay out of southern or middle of Wisconsin. Thought about Lake Wisconsin- Lodi, but would like other suggestions. Do not want to live directly in Madison or Milwaukee. Thank you in advance.
What are the needs you have as a family, which will determine in part where to look? What about employment, school needs, recreation, perhaps any medical?
Are you looking for water sports or fishing (as not every lake covers both well)?
You mentioned avoiding the southern/middle parts of the state (Lake Wi is in there), so are you thinking the Northwoods or Fox Valley area?
I see in another post you noted to avoid southern states, or there would have been another list of lakes that could have been added for consideration.

Anyhow, more info from what you want/need would help get better details and suggestions from the CD crowd.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:47 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,051,665 times
Need a more complete definition of family friendly, and what are the priorities you are looking for. As ranger mentioned - need more data to give any viable feedback.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:58 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,534,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Need a more complete definition of family friendly, and what are the priorities you are looking for. As ranger mentioned - need more data to give any viable feedback.
Right - does this mean Great Lakes are out? Northwoods is out? Where specifically are you looking? Near MKE/Madison?

Keep in mind that there aren't lakes throughout the Driftless quarter of the state in the SW (though Lake Wisconsin is really the Wisconsin River, so maybe that doesn't matter).

Old 10-21-2014, 10:00 PM

Sorry I was a wee bit tired when I wrote this. I put on this site because I think this state is our top choice. Would prefer the southern or middle of the state. Northwoods is too cold. I am an ER NP, and my husband has an online job, so we are flexible. I have grade school kids and would love to live on a lake with a neighborhood where my kids could have some friends close by. Great school district needed. Would need a ski lake/ River. Hopefully that helps- looking for a 4 bdrm maybe three car garage( place to put boat and snowmobiles) Thank you in advance too. How do I set it so I can see when someone relplies?

Old 10-22-2014, 06:44 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,051,665 times
Being in healthcare gives good job opportunities, so there may be quite a few options. Between Stevens Point and the Fox Valley (Appleton/Neenah/Menasha/Oshkosh) there are a lot of lakes. If you are willing to commute for work you could find something in the Waupaca area which has a very reasonable cost of living and have hospitals to choose from.

Jefferson County in between Madison and Milwaukee is a good option with several very popular lakes and the Rock River to choose from. Good hospitals in Watertown, Fort Atkinson, or either Madison or Milwaukee. The communities with waterfront properties would be Lake Mills, Fort Atkinson, Jefferson, and Cambridge.

Far-West suburbs of Milwaukee, Waukesha County has lots of lakes but lakefront property there is big bucks. I suspect that a 4 bdr will not be found for much less than $500k in Waukesha County. If you have the means, there are a lot of beautiful homes on the water there.

The northwoods is full of water and lots of lake homes that would be affordable, you indicate that you don't want that type of cold though. That area would have the most options, and many are much more affordable than in the Southern part of the state. If you like to snowmobile, I think there may be some real advantages to living in Oneida or Vilas county and sled from the back door without the four hour drive to and from every weekend. Swap the boat for the sleds in the garage at season change...

Good luck.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:30 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,534,781 times
^ Great summary, I have little to add

Agreed that the northwoods is where the majority of the affordable and beautiful lake properties are, though Waupaca gives you a good taste of it and it's right by GB/the Fox Valley.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:40 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,027,874 times
OP, i know one of the recent "back to WI" transplants who comes on here got a place on Lake Poygon (one of the Winnebago chain) which is near the Fox Valley area. Seems they really like their spot, I've only fished on those waters and that was years ago but if i recall there is some nice water for boating as well. And the location could put you near multiple options for work in the medical field.

Anyhow just a general suggestion.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
How about a budget? Properties on bodies of water suitable for boating recreation are pretty pricey, especially if they're within easy shot of Milwaukee/Chicago and even more especially up in the "4-bedroom" size.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:06 AM

thanks. up to 550 maybe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin