Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:48 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times

Advertisements

Living in Green Bay will add decades to your life, because every month you live there will feel like ten years. The job will quickly be the only reason you have for staying, and it probably won't be long before you start hating the job because of that.

Moving from Minneapolis to Green Bay is like time-traveling to 1200 AD. None of the other things you mention in your post exist in Green Bay, and they never will. It's just Chuck E. Cheese and Applebee's every day. Don't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 06:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
There used to be a pretty good underground music scene in the mid/late 90s, mostly pop punk (Boris the Sprinkler being the biggest), but I've not heard anything coming out of there for awhile. Had a lot of fun at punk shows there then, but not a BIG scene by any means. Nothing like Mnpls or Chicago.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:46 AM

223 posts, read 391,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There used to be a pretty good underground music scene in the mid/late 90s, mostly pop punk (Boris the Sprinkler being the biggest), but I've not heard anything coming out of there for awhile. Had a lot of fun at punk shows there then, but not a BIG scene by any means. Nothing like Mnpls or Chicago.
I made a couple trips up to the Concert Cafe as a teenager. Back then Green Bay might have actually had a better punk scene than Milwaukee and Madison, and a lot of touring bands would skip those cities and go straight to Green Bay from Chicago. Then the Packers got good again, and Green Bay's civic "leadership" seemed hell bent on getting rid of anything that didn't fit the superficially wholesome image they wanted to present to all of the national media that was suddenly paying attention to their town. The Concert Cafe and their other all-ages venue (think it might've been called The Option) were shut down not too shortly after that. Now Green Bay is just one giant football-themed amusement park with no culture of its own... sort of like a colder, more industrial Orlando, but with more guns, meth and crappy beer. Of course, they always find a way to hide those things before the next time Sunday Night Football comes to town.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post
I made a couple trips up to the Concert Cafe as a teenager. Back then Green Bay might have actually had a better punk scene than Milwaukee and Madison, and a lot of touring bands would skip those cities and go straight to Green Bay from Chicago. Then the Packers got good again, and Green Bay's civic "leadership" seemed hell bent on getting rid of anything that didn't fit the superficially wholesome image they wanted to present to all of the national media that was suddenly paying attention to their town. The Concert Cafe and their other all-ages venue (think it might've been called The Option) were shut down not too shortly after that. Now Green Bay is just one giant football-themed amusement park with no culture of its own... sort of like a colder, more industrial Orlando, but with more guns, meth and crappy beer. Of course, they always find a way to hide those things before the next time Sunday Night Football comes to town.

Ha, yeah, been to CC and went to a bunch of basement shows... I was able to get shows there for touring bands coming through when I couldn't in MKE or Madison (where I was)... they'd be like 20 people, but good energy. This was around 95-99.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:16 AM

108 posts, read 150,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuscoCasa View Post
I have a possible job opportunity in Green Bay. What is the city like for someone in their 20's? I'm more of a big city person, so I'm unsure of how I would do in Green Bay, knowing it's not a huge city. I'm not into the bar/clubbing scene...More of a "hipster" to be honest, into healthy living, like ethnic food, books, coffee shops, music, etc.

Any thoughts appreciated!
You will be bored to death in Green Bay. I am currently living in the Fox Valley and although it is slightly better my wife and I are counting down the days until we can leave the state.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:35 PM

109 posts, read 142,633 times
Thanks for all the insights! I appreciate them very much. It does not sound like I would fit in Green Bay very well or enjoy living there!

Old 07-19-2014, 08:35 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
I'm 25 and have always loved going to Green Bay. I love Green Bay; people are friendly and welcoming. I didn't find it boring, but then again I'm an old soul at heart and like quiet.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:37 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post
I moved TO Green Bay as the Cafe was just launching, and it was maybe the best venue in the Midwest. It's been written about in books/histories/documentaries (in fact, a documentary about it specifically is being made right now). It was great. There was a real internationally known scene in GB, and local kids were starting bands that ended up touring all over the world. The city 100% shut this scene down. They arrested people for having basement shows and put so much pressure on the Cafe/RnR HS with piddly fines and things of that nature that the whole thing shut down and everyone (literally hundreds of people) moved to Milwaukee, sparking a resurgence of Milwaukee's music scene. It was the dumbest thing I've EVER seen a city do. You are a backwater in the middle of nowhere and somehow you have an internationally known music and arts scene, so you drive everyone out (because they "looked weird" or "were probably drinking underage"). I stuck around a little bit, until the city shut down another venue because black people liked going there once a week for rap battles, and that's how I ended up in Milwaukee.

Green Bay blew it. I don't hate the city, and I hope it somehow rebounds, but they're making their bed. The citizens and the business owners want it to be 1964 Middle America timewarp due to the Packers (I love the Packers AND music/arts), and that's unsubstainable.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:44 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Green Bay blew it. I don't hate the city, and I hope it somehow rebounds, but they're making their bed. The citizens and the business owners want it to be 1964 Middle America timewarp due to the Packers (I love the Packers AND music/arts), and that's unsubstainable.
Boy, if that's not the perfect summation of Green Bay in 25 words or less, I don't know how it could be better. Nice job!

Old 07-21-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Boy, if that's not the perfect summation of Green Bay in 25 words or less, I don't know how it could be better. Nice job!

Right on. Repped that. Perfectly said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin