Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:02 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Welp, glad to see another Republican failure. Walker is dragging Wisconsin down to the toilet.

I'm not glad. These failures don't hurt them. They're still rich and continue to line their pockets. The people that suffer are the middle and lower classes, and future generations. I can't be glad for that type of failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 12:15 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,409,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm not glad. These failures don't hurt them. They're still rich and continue to line their pockets. The people that suffer are the middle and lower classes, and future generations. I can't be glad for that type of failure.
I agree for sure. I didn't mean it like that.

What saddens me is how many people parade this guy (and other politicians) as a saint when he openly vows to make their lives worse. He openly despises unions and education, the two pillars of a healthy middle class. How can people not see it?

Old 02-25-2015, 02:08 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,399,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I agree for sure. I didn't mean it like that.

What saddens me is how many people parade this guy (and other politicians) as a saint when he openly vows to make their lives worse. He openly despises unions and education, the two pillars of a healthy middle class. How can people not see it?
"Divide and conquer" worked perfectly, that's why.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:29 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
When I see what Walker has done to Wisconsin, I'm so glad Washington State dodged a bullet. We had a "moderate" Republican AG that tried to run for governor in 2012. Because of his "moderation" he had a fair chance of winning. But he jumped into the Obamacare lawsuit and spoke at a Tea Party rally in Olympia. Those commercials ran 24/7 and he was undone.

I'm amazed Walker was re-elected. In addition to everything else he's done, he's proposing taking $300M from the universities? A guy with no college degree gutting education budgets. Will Wisconsin go the way of Kansas?

Old 02-26-2015, 01:04 PM

738 posts, read 1,000,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
When I see what Walker has done to Wisconsin, I'm so glad Washington State dodged a bullet. We had a "moderate" Republican AG that tried to run for governor in 2012. Because of his "moderation" he had a fair chance of winning. But he jumped into the Obamacare lawsuit and spoke at a Tea Party rally in Olympia. Those commercials ran 24/7 and he was undone.

I'm amazed Walker was re-elected. In addition to everything else he's done, he's proposing taking $300M from the universities? A guy with no college degree gutting education budgets. Will Wisconsin go the way of Kansas?
^^This^^ is a very valid question. Ya know...if things had truly improved in the state (significantly decreased property taxes, increasing business development, saw leaps in job growth, boasted educational scores, enacted environmental protections, etc.), I suspect that would be something to put on a potential candidates resume to show with pride of accomplishment. But what the state has gotten in return for all the political wrangling is...what?...

He speaks of balancing the state budget while gutting the university budget. He slashed bargaining rights for public school teachers (mostly women), while simultaneously allowing those for police and fire departments (mostly men) to remain intact. He's always on local news (when he's actually here in the state) giving speeches at companies where they have expanded and he "crows" about how his policies have created all these great jobs...even though the company has added only 12. There has been some new business development Walk-O-Meter: Create 10,000 new businesses | PolitiFact Wisconsin, but like all politicians, most promise waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than they can actually deliver. In his case, he went beyond just stretching the truth. According to Business Insider, Wisconsin's ranking was 39th among 50. Non-farm payrolls increased 1.6%; GDP grew by 1.7%; wages decreased by 0.46%. State Economic Growth Rankings - Business Insider Certainly, with the new Right to Work For Less legislation, Wisconsinites may well look forward to more stagnant if not falling wages in the future.

At this point, he can pretty much institute whatever he wants. In that regard, he's been politically savvy using sleight-of-hand with just about everything that has been done. At least in Kansas, people knew exactly what they were getting and voted the guy in anyway. In Wisconsin, there IS no excuse for the stupidity that's been put in office.

RVcook

Old 02-26-2015, 01:52 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,236,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
"Right to work" happening next week. A lot of people seem to be excited about seeing their fellow residents taken down a peg, yet again.
This is the perfect summation of it all. Perfect.
I just don't get it. Working people hating on working people. Jealous of pensions and dental plans.
A whole lotta "I ain't got that."

Old 02-26-2015, 08:52 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,927,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
I just don't get it. Working people hating on working people. Jealous of pensions and dental plans.
The whole "divide and conquer" nonsense, brought to you by the Koch Brothers, and their puppet, Scott Walker. And now the whole "right-to-work" crap, which will further pit Wisconsonite against Wisconsonite, and further drive down wages and salaries.

The hope that the national press corps does a much better job than the pussycat WI scribes in exposing, and taking down, this fraud..

Old 02-27-2015, 06:14 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post

This is what I will never get. Why take down your neighbor when you should be demanding it for yourself? Is it just because people are lazy and tearing others down takes less energy that improving their situation?

DO NOT tell me we can't afford to pay and treat people well. We have record corporate profits (they're through the roof) and executive pay is also at record levels. The money is there. The profit is there. The only thing that has changed is the distribution.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:30 AM

752 posts, read 567,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
"Ah, because in state-wide elections they vote in professional wrestlers and c-grade celebs - got it!"
Jesse Ventura was elected once with a smaller share of the vote (37%) than most losing candidates receive. Al Franken is extremely intelligent (reportedly scored a perfect 800 on the math section of the SAT, was admitted to Harvard on academic merit, graduated with honors), has demonstrated a longstanding engagement with public policy (undergraduate degree in political science, fellow at the Kennedy School of Government), and is by many accounts an excellent senator.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:58 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,399,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
Jesse Ventura was elected once with a smaller share of the vote (37%) than most losing candidates receive. Al Franken is extremely intelligent (reportedly scored a perfect 800 on the math section of the SAT, was admitted to Harvard on academic merit, graduated with honors), has demonstrated a longstanding engagement with public policy (undergraduate degree in political science, fellow at the Kennedy School of Government), and is by many accounts an excellent senator.
People mock Minnesotans for having elected Ventura, but you have to give them credit for not going along with the status quo at the time. Many people in that state were fed up with the two major parties at the time. He only served one term, so it's not like electing him really mattered that much in the long run either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin