Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 01:21 PM

128 posts, read 266,750 times

Advertisements

I drive 94 and 43 a lot and everytime I reach the exact county boarder of Ozaukee County the road becomes terrible. The trucks have beaten it up so bad that I usually ride the entire stretch in the left lane (which isnt much better), otherwise it's like being on a roller coaster. As soon as you cross into Sheboygan County the road is fine again. Will Ozaukee County ever repace this section of 43? For someone who has a car designed with little suspension it's like going off-roading....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 02:00 PM

3,450 posts, read 4,503,690 times
^ How many times have I seen this (close to) exact text over the years, with a different "new" poster? I do this drive all the time, and I have never had an issue with the Ozaukee County roads, nor do I think there's an appreciable difference once you hit Sheboygan County.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:54 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,621,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viktor77 View Post
I drive 94 and 43 a lot and everytime I reach the exact county boarder of Ozaukee County the road becomes terrible. The trucks have beaten it up so bad that I usually ride the entire stretch in the left lane (which isnt much better), otherwise it's like being on a roller coaster. As soon as you cross into Sheboygan County the road is fine again. Will Ozaukee County ever repace this section of 43? For someone who has a car designed with little suspension it's like going off-roading....
The road is a disaster. I think it's scheduled to either be ground down again or repaved but I don't remember which.

My Wisconsin car (demoted from Arizona) has 45 series tires and harsh European suspension. Perfect for flying down our beautiful Arizona highways, but awful in Wisconsin. The section of the 43 you are describing is absolutely horrendous. You can look in the rear view mirror and see ridges of an inch or more on every section of concrete. If I don't ditch Wisconsin for good in the next year, I'm going to buy a Land Cruiser or something huge, heavy, and meant for absorbing large imperfections at cruising speeds, where I don't have to constantly monitor every single imperfection in the roads (some of which are an embarrassment to a modern country). Or a Jeep... or a Land Rover. Or whatever. No wonder so many people drive those huge land yachts around there.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:26 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,365,837 times
Wisconsin now has the third worst rated roads in the entire nation. We do have bad weather, but it's more the underfunding of repair work for existing roads that is the culprit. There always seems to be money for new road projects, though.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:17 PM

15,935 posts, read 12,214,095 times
I don't notice a big difference between WI roads and anywhere else in the upper midwest. At least you guys typically use storm sewer drains to drain water instead of the cheapo way of simply having a 'dip' in the road which water flows across during storms which will bottom out your vehicle if you don't slow to 10MPH while going over them like out here in eastern South Dakota.

More interesting is when the dips are on the opposite lane as the stop signs which almost turns it into a 4 way stop.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:55 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,797,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Wisconsin now has the third worst rated roads in the entire nation. We do have bad weather, but it's more the underfunding of repair work for existing roads that is the culprit. There always seems to be money for new road projects, though.

The subsidizing of the frack sand industry really doesn't help in some regions.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:31 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,503,690 times
Where did you see that WI had the 3rd-worst rated roads in the country? I've been all over the USA, and the roads in WI are about average. I've debunked this "bad roads" myth countless times before and I don't feel like looking all the stats up again, but I found 5-10 3rd party state ratings, and Wisconsin wasn't in a single "20 worst" list. It was better than the bottom 20 in all ratings I saw, and in the top half of most of them. Generally, the average was right around the middle, which is reality.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:59 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,365,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Where did you see that WI had the 3rd-worst rated roads in the country? I've been all over the USA, and the roads in WI are about average. I've debunked this "bad roads" myth countless times before and I don't feel like looking all the stats up again, but I found 5-10 3rd party state ratings, and Wisconsin wasn't in a single "20 worst" list. It was better than the bottom 20 in all ratings I saw, and in the top half of most of them. Generally, the average was right around the middle, which is reality.
Maybe the studies you looked at were older. This is current news from the Wisconsin Rapids Tribune (can be found elsewhere as well):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...brEUYQdJAxjD1Q

Old 05-21-2015, 04:09 PM

15,935 posts, read 12,214,095 times
Wisconsin has a LOT more paved roads than any other midwestern state particularly in the SE portion of the state where it seems every old country road that gets almost no traffic is paved. Combined with the heaving that occurs from winter temps and I'm sure it increases maintenance costs for the state of WI compared to other states.

There are many more gravel roads in neighboring states from my experience. Southern WI is a road biker's paradise in the summer. Granted the population density is a bit higher in this area but still there are roads that get little to no traffic everywhere to bike on there.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:12 PM

78 posts, read 228,447 times
43 was repaved last year from Silver Spring in Glendale up to the first Port Washington exit. I don't know about the northern 1/2 of the county but the southern 1/2 is one of the smoothest stretches around. And there's no difference at the Milw-Oz county line because that whole area was resurfaced at the same time last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin