Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:25 PM

13 posts, read 28,874 times

Advertisements

Hello I have recently moved to Milwaukee Wisconsin from Perth Western Australia and was wondering if anyone knew of companies that were comfortable with the whole work visa sponsorship. I am currently in banking for which I have 12 years experience, so would be looking at anything in that field. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 03:17 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here too in case you don't catch the other thread...

I'm curious... if you're looking for a job in finance, why did you move to Milwaukee? It's not exactly a renowned financial hub of the U.S. If you want to stay in the relative area, you're probably going to have much better luck looking in Chicago, which is one of the nation's major financial hubs. If you get work there, you can still be close to Milwaukee as there's a train that runs from Kenosha and will take you straight to Chicago's financial district. Plus, there are many foreign-owned financial institutions in Chicago so the whole visa thing shouldn't be an issue.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:21 AM

I moved to Milwaukee because thats where my partner is from. We have a house in South Milwaukee. I was hoping to get Milwaukee but soon realised that Milwaukee is not as you say "the financial hub" of Wisconsin. I am trying to track down some foreign owned financial companies in Chicago - one of them must want to take on an Aussie - any suggestions?
Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:48 AM

Oh, Milwaukee probably is the financial hub of Wisconsin (though it's possible that title belongs to Madison) but that's like being the King of the Ant-hill.

Top Ten list of foreign banks with operations in Chicago, in order of American-held assets:

1: ABN-AMRO (dba in the U.S. as LaSalle Bank)
2: Bank of Montreal
3: Bank of Tokyo
4: BNP Paribas (France)
5: International Commercial Bank of China (Taiwan)
6: State Bank of India
7: Banca da Roma
8: UBS (Switzerland)
9: Bank Hapoalim (Israel)
10: Caylon (France)

Numerous large domestic banks have a presence here too, the largest such presence probably being Chase Bank. The fact is the large domestic banks are international operations and probably won't have any hangups about hiring a foreigner whose visa paperwork is in order.

Last edited by Drover; 02-08-2007 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-08-2007, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the information. You seem to be up on your bank knowledge? let me guess you are in finance? Please tell me that you are some CEO of a foreign owned company - LOL. Where are you based? And by the way its frustrating being at the top of this ant hill.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:13 AM

Sorry to tell you, I'm not a CEO. I'm not even employed -- I'm a full-time student. I am based in Chicago. The info I supplied is from Crain's Chicago Business magazine.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Sorry to tell you, I'm not a CEO. I'm not even employed -- I'm a full-time student. I am based in Chicago. The info I supplied is from Crain's Chicago Business magazine.
Well nothing wrong with being a student. If I cant find employment than I have to go back to University here in the states. I first have to go back to Australia and apply for my F1 student visa and then re-enter the country. I can study here for approx 3 years and then have to extend it. I cant work whilst here so my poor partner is having to sponsor me. Since 911 the US government has made it very difficult for foreigners to stay in the country and unless you get married there is not many ways. Its frustrating but thats what I have to work with. Have to say though I love Chicago and at least its just down the road from here. Thanks for the info, it should come in handy. Will get in contact with them.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:08 PM

80 posts, read 562,614 times
Default Welcome!!

Just wanted to say welcome to the U.S. and good luck with the job search!

Old 02-09-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefonddulac View Post
Just wanted to say welcome to the U.S. and good luck with the job search!
Thankyou for the big welcome. Its a bit of a change from the warm weather of Australia, but im slowly getting used to it.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:21 PM

How does one ever get used to -25c if they've never been around it before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin