Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 06:39 AM

904 posts, read 665,938 times

Advertisements

Stevens Point is a great place for weekends and also Wausau. Wausau has many nice restaurants and new brew pubs. Both have great concerts in the summer.

Also check out Ignite-Young Professionals in Stevens Point. Its a group that gets together to do good in the area but also to socialize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 05:39 PM

8 posts, read 18,365 times
I would suggest living in Stevens Point, as others have said. The commute to rapids isn’t terrible and there is infinitely more to do, more young people, and overall a better culture. Not to mention more liberal (which I’m assuming you prefer since you lived in Madison.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 3,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Have you really not done any ‘boots on the ground’ comparison of WR yet?
I have. I found a few people here in UW-Madison who come from Rapids and they've given me some advice. I ended up picking a place in the eastern side of rapids, close to the river but also not terribly far from SP if I ever want to go visit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
Also check out Ignite-Young Professionals in Stevens Point. It's a group that gets together to do good in the area but also to socialize.
Noted! Hadn't heard of this group before, I'll be sure to check them out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP233 View Post
Not to mention more liberal (which I’m assuming you prefer since you lived in Madison).
Not really a selling point for me, the more conservative culture is part of why I decided to stay in Wisconsin as opposed to going back to Florida or moving to a place like Chicago or Minneapolis. I'm not terribly political, but the drug culture and such here in Madison makes me a bit uncomfortable (though I largely chalk that up to it being a college town more than anything).

Old 07-07-2019, 12:04 PM

404 posts, read 480,762 times
It would be fun to read an update to this story. How do you like Rapids, how severe was the culture shock and are you still there? LOL I grew up in Rapids but left upon graduating HS.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:21 PM

4 posts, read 3,914 times
Update: Things are going well! Working as an engineer at the mill takes up most of my time, so I've honestly barely had any time to get to know the town and its surroundings. I'm enjoying the parks and lakes around the area, as well as the complete lack of any real traffic. I'll wait until winter to form a real opinion on the quality of life, but so far I'm enjoying it here.

The biggest shock for sure was going to a local church and being basically the only person under 50 (except for the two children fidgeting next to their grandmother). I am also amused by the occasional confederate flag bumper stickers, which I always assumed was a southern thing. Those things aside, I think my only real gripe so far is how dark the roads are at night. I'm afraid I'll hit a deer one of these days, I came fairly close not too long ago. Other than that it's been pretty nice.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:47 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norik View Post
Update: Things are going well! Working as an engineer at the mill takes up most of my time, so I've honestly barely had any time to get to know the town and its surroundings. I'm enjoying the parks and lakes around the area, as well as the complete lack of any real traffic. I'll wait until winter to form a real opinion on the quality of life, but so far I'm enjoying it here.

The biggest shock for sure was going to a local church and being basically the only person under 50 (except for the two children fidgeting next to their grandmother). I am also amused by the occasional confederate flag bumper stickers, which I always assumed was a southern thing. Those things aside, I think my only real gripe so far is how dark the roads are at night. I'm afraid I'll hit a deer one of these days, I came fairly close not too long ago. Other than that it's been pretty nice.
Good to hear.
Church culture is definitely a different thing in Wisconsin. VERY Catholic and Lutheran. A lot of people go, even young, but the demographics of who goes where doesn’t always line up in the same manner as other places especially compared to down south or faster growing areas. I can imagine the difference being more amplified in smaller towns.
Confederate paraphernalia gets sales in all 50 states oddly enough. Not sure why at this point. It can represent a LOT of different things to people.

Embrace winter if you really want to give it a fair chance. See if you like any kind of outdoor winter activity, or at least something that gets you out of the house from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin