Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 04:21 PM

430 posts, read 292,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Interesting- the three people I know who had CV-19 earlier in the the year are feeling fine and not having any long lasting issues. (At least as far as I know)
I had covid and know a few more people who are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 05:31 AM

4,677 posts, read 3,880,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Fake news.

https://www.aha.org/statistics/fast-facts-us-hospital

Scroll down to the map with the octagons: Anticipated excess bed usage ~5% due to CoViD, bringing average bed usage up to 65%. Hardly a strain on the system.

Gov. Mr. Rogers opened a temporary hosp to handle CoViD cases at the Mil Fair Grounds: 530 beds-- 11 are being used as of 10/31/20. https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-...e-facility.htm
Your first link site's still down & says "may not be available at the moment, but will be accessible soon." I'm curious to see those numbers. It's not what I'm seeing or reading personally.

Some things can't be totally accounted for by numbers. Where I work we are constantly getting pressure from MDs, discharge team, administration to get acute patients out the door quicker than we normally would to make room for possible covid patients. Some weeks it happens where we don't get any covid patients so the panic was unnecessary. The bigger hospitals in Madison are constantly trying to offload some of their patients to smaller hospitals for swingbed (people who need a little more time to rehab before going home) to make room & there's pressure that way.

Also there's a big stress on home health right now a lot of healthcare workers across the country are noticing. Patients are going home quicker from the hospital, & sometimes aren't ready to be home yet so homecare is dealing with more acute cases/less medically stable. Also patients are much less likely to go to a nursing home for rehab or long term because most don't allow visitors. Some nursing homes aren't taking admissions because they're dealing with covid in the facility. So patients are failing at home & home health is going into some train wreck situations.

The field hospital I've heard is tough to admit to. The patient has to be mostly independent, have a discharge plan set, & know for certain they're going home after hospitalization (not needing rehab or going back or to assisted living or a nursing home.) So mostly younger adults in their 50's, 60's, 70's.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:38 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,142,080 times
funny, haven't seen the couple of usual Sconnie trolls on the Minnesota covid threads lately, wondered where they went

Old 11-02-2020, 11:45 AM

7,327 posts, read 5,214,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Your first link site's still down & says "may not be available at the moment, but will be accessible soon." I'm curious to see those numbers. It's not what I'm seeing or reading personally.

That site basically showed that usual occupancy rates are bunched from state to state around 60% and that they are expecting another 5% for CoVid pts. The hospitalization rate for CoViD is 5% of cases reported by WI at this "time of crisis."

Retired several yrs, I practiced out of two hospitals on the edge of Chicago- one 800 beds, the other 300 beds. Occupancy rates there were on the order of 90% and not unusual to go on by-pass for several days each year. ...I would imagine the discrepancy in the estimates have to do with less utilization in less densely populated service areas. As I mentioned earlier, a smaller institution can quickly become overwhelmed by a small local cluster of cases.

I am quite familiar with "home care" having regularly done house calls for home-bound elderly pts for many years. As I'm sure you know, "home healthcare" is mainly a support effort to give the impression that the family has some back-up. Very little actual care is rendered other than VS & med monitoring. It's a social call...If a nursing outfit feels frustrated by the growing demand for service, it's because they regret they can't take full advantage of the favorable financial position they could be in. Home nursing is largely a scam. An occasional 15 minute visit is hardly effective nursing care.

Old 11-06-2020, 05:48 AM

4,677 posts, read 3,880,229 times
So much for the Law & Order loving Trump crowd actually following Law & Order.

Quote:
An Associated Press analysis reveals that in 376 counties with the highest number of new cases per capita, the overwhelming majority — 93% of those counties — went for Trump, a rate above other less severely hit areas.

Most were rural counties in Montana, the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa and Wisconsin — the kinds of areas that often have lower rates of adherence to social distancing, mask-wearing and other public health measures, and have been a focal point for much of the latest surge in cases.
Counties with worst virus surges overwhelmingly voted Trump

And speaking of Covid . . . As COVID hospitalizations in Dane Co reach record high, UW Hospital opens second critical care area for COVID patients. But all the Covid media news buzz will magically go away once voting occurs, right?

Old 11-06-2020, 06:46 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,789,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
So much for the Law & Order loving Trump crowd actually following Law & Order.

Counties with worst virus surges overwhelmingly voted Trump

And speaking of Covid . . . As COVID hospitalizations in Dane Co reach record high, UW Hospital opens second critical care area for COVID patients. But all the Covid media news buzz will magically go away once voting occurs, right?
So liberal Dane County is a hot spot.

The AP should know better than to politicize a virus that goes in waves and every part of the country eventually gets their turn, masks or no masks.
I wear masks by the way. Sometimes get a little annoyed when people don't. Not that I'm sure it greatly matters, but people need to respect other people's concerns.
Yes it's also a government mandate which is partly why I play along like going the speed limit and wearing a seatbelt.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:47 AM

4,664 posts, read 3,301,716 times
As one who tries to always stay positive, I feel like unless a person is truly staying in a home away from human contact and having food and goods delivered (and then having to sanitize everything, first), it seems now like everyone may become subject to the virus.

From March to June I did not personally know anyone that had the virus.

From July to September, I knew someone who knew someone who had it.

Since October I personally know people who have it.

And this is all while people around me are practicing social distancing, wearing masks, washing hands, etc.

I swear my daughter had it, based on the symptoms. But when she tested the result was negative. (but thank God for that!)

So I don't know what to think.

I guess everyone should continue to take best care. That's all we CAN do!

Be safe, happy , and healthy everyone!

Old 11-06-2020, 08:54 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,326,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
So liberal Dane County is a hot spot.

The AP should know better than to politicize a virus that goes in waves and every part of the country eventually gets their turn, masks or no masks.
I wear masks by the way. Sometimes get a little annoyed when people don't. Not that I'm sure it greatly matters, but people need to respect other people's concerns.
Yes it's also a government mandate which is partly why I play along like going the speed limit and wearing a seatbelt.
Some people are probably thinking that wearing a mask will make up for not social distancing, etc.-- the "magic wand" theory.

As we head further into late fall and winter, it's important for people not to get sloppy and complacent.

Amazingly, the election is over and Covid-19 is still here!

The NYT recently posted an interesting article on the effectiveness of masks. It probably won't resonate with the most ardent anti-maskers, and there are those who dismiss the NYT as if it were Politico or Breibart, but it's an interesting feature with some 3-D visuals:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ticles-ul.html

Old 11-07-2020, 11:02 AM

8,297 posts, read 23,156,913 times
I will say this, some of you people take politics as the end all and be all, while it's very important it's almost religious cult like for a lot of people. We have a new president, time to move on and get on with your lives. Keep in mind that even with a new president 99.99% of your problems are still your fault.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:49 AM

7,327 posts, read 5,214,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
it's an interesting feature with some 3-D visuals:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ticles-ul.html
How funny you should think that's "proof!" Remember those old commercials-- the animations of why two blades in your Bic razor is better than one? An artist draws art according to how he feels (or is told to) draw it. It's not science.

Way back in this thread I sited the only actual science on the subject: masks are irrelevant to the spread of the virus. Only exposure to a known source and extended time spent in restaurants & bars were positively correlated with risk of infection....Under political pressure, the authors were encouraged to publicly "qualify' their conclusions-- without any data to back that PC opinion up.

The election is over, No need to push the false narrative anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin