Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:48 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,924 times

Advertisements

I have some buddies that work at paper mills. and building materials and most of them have been going through layoffs about 2 weeks out of the month. now they announce about 3 weeks in dec.

anyone else have friends or family facing layoffs or works. It is really getting tough out there. I am in the northwoods and alot of the jobs are tied to trees and I guess the demand is really really down for most stuff

gonna be a cold winter up here...aaarrrrggghhhhh.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 08:16 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
Things are really slowing down in the Auto sales industry. My sales manager has layed off the HR lady and a few maintenance guys. Luckily I work in a body and shop and as long as cars are coming into our auction we'll have something to clean/fix.

Sales are slowing way down though... Pretty scary.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:37 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
Not yet, but after Christmas all bets are off.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:05 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
These layoffs are affecting everyone everywhere. I meet contractors nearly every day who have gotten so slow they either had to let a few of their crew go, or are doing all the work (what little there is) themselves.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:29 AM

537 posts, read 1,939,884 times
I know one person who was laid off. He is excited because they gave him an education package. He is going back to school and going into the medical field.
I opened up a daycare in August. Business is booming for us. We are licensed for 105 kids and we are up to over 60. We keep adding staff. All our parents are still working.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:48 AM

22 posts, read 62,555 times
Dubuque has held its own until recently. Our company dismissed workers in other areas but left Dubuque's workforce alone. The economy is beginning to slow here too. I'm the first name on the list of potential force reductions should they happen. As slow as it is getting for us, I can't see how the company can keep me around. I really wish they would allow me to become a seasonal worker. I'd be fine with a few months of full time ice fishing.

What is probably going to happen is a further reduction of the work force. The cut won't be temporary. I've worked in numerous states and foreign countries. So the idea of picking everything up and relocating isn't new to me. Living in Wisconsin has been great!! It may be short lived. There are some other job opportunities in Iowa but they're so far west that interstate commuting won't be possible.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:58 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
I have some buddies that work at paper mills. and building materials and most of them have been going through layoffs about 2 weeks out of the month. now they announce about 3 weeks in dec.

anyone else have friends or family facing layoffs or works. It is really getting tough out there. I am in the northwoods and alot of the jobs are tied to trees and I guess the demand is really really down for most stuff

gonna be a cold winter up here...aaarrrrggghhhhh.....

not where I work, we cannot hire enough people.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:12 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Not yet, but after Christmas all bets are off.

UPDATE: DH just found out today that he is #4 in the entire midwest so he's happy and feeling a lot more secure. Phew!

Old 12-03-2008, 04:47 PM

295 posts, read 546,967 times
I just got a new job and my wife just got a raise and we drove down to Chicago and bought a new saab. We went to Nevada for vaction and are spending more money than ever. I guess we are the lucky ones, we have a nice savings and health insurance, OH we are also looking for our first home. I'm buying up stock left and right. Remember buy low sell high.(3rd grade). I was in car sales but when life hands you lemons make a lemon farm. I'm in finance and making more money than ever.

Yeah things are pretty tough.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:19 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
Note to self: Don't ever get too smug It has often been said, many are only a few paychecks away from a bad situation. Humility is key...with that in mind, life continues to be "good" for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin