Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:47 PM

16 posts, read 48,225 times

Advertisements

Hi

We (My husband and I) have already relocated from South Florida to Madison, WI. May be this post comes a bit late. However here is my situation:

1. We are in our late 20s. No kids yet.
2. We relocated here for my husband's job.
3. I quit my job to move here.
4. We are South East Asians.

My Husband never liked Florida much so it was an easy move for him. It was more difficult for me as I lived my job and its was extremely difficult leaving my friends. Also everyone in Florida were kinda shocked that we would leave South Florida for Wisconsin.

Here are his reasons for leaving South Florida:

1. Its not a good place to raise kids. School system is pretty bad compared to the rest of the US. My point is that the people I have come across and pretty smart and successful. So I dont understand the whole deal about Florida schools being bad.

2. Not a progressive place. He feels its more of a touristy place and not for young professionals who are career oriented.

I have been here only for a week but this life seems to be way too slow for me. Its really laid back and I am looking for a more fast paced city life. Also i have been hearing horror stories about the winters. Let me add that I am not be a big water person so I am not really missing the Florida beaches.

I am thinking of convincing my husband to move back to Florida. However I do not want that to be an emotional decision hence this post.

Am I being too quick to write this city off? I would really like to hear objective view from people on this forum, especially people who have relocated to Wisconsin and how they feel about this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 01:07 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,026,691 times
while we no longer live in Madison, we did for 25 yrs before moving south ( lifelong WI residents ). We always did like what we had there, but it for us was the winters that took their toll and led to our moving, nothing else.

You are correct on some of the points you raise.
It's not going to give you the full big city feel, as it is not a big city. On the flip side, it also doesn't carry as much of the "baggage" the large cities do. At least not on the larger scale. If you feel the need for the big city, then take a weekend and go down to Chicago or up to Minneapolis. Both can give you more then enough things to do for a long weekend, and are within hours of Madison so driving is easy enough.

For the weather, yes winter can be harsh. If you can embrace it ( meaning find outdoor activities you enjoy ) then you may even look forward to it. If you both are summer people, and hibernate in the winter, then it will be harder and longer.

We were more then happy with the area, as far as raising our child went. Enough things for her to do, while still being able to somewhat shelter her from at least some of the terrible things out there.

My suggestion, without knowing how long you have been up there; is to venture out and see the state. The time is coming shortly where an hour drive from Madison will take you to some beautiful fall scenery. Hit the "cities" a couple times just to give yourself a break and keep a positive attitude about ya. And finally give it thru the winter, so you not only see the other seasons, but are giving your situation another 6 months to improve. Come spring, you both are unhappy, then I guess a decision has been made. But you may find you can not only adapt but also flourish up there.

Best of luck

Old 09-22-2009, 02:23 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,597,424 times
The time to do your research, visiting, is before you make a lateral move. Don't quite know how you got the impression Madison is a "big" city. Asking those on a forum to make decisions as to whether you should move back where you just came from is a gamble and could be biased.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 09-22-2009 at 02:33 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 02:28 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,619,556 times
You can always visit Chicago and/or Milwaukee for your fast pace fix. Easy drive to both major cities. Also, by all means, plan a get away in the winter months. I am not a Florida person, but its heavan come Febuary. '
Please give it more time. You are still a new kid on the block, you need a longer period of adjustment. Good Luck to you.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:32 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
Get ready for winters in Wisconsin....

Old 09-22-2009, 03:19 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,026,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Get ready for winters in Wisconsin....
funny thing is, on a day like that school would have been in session ( maybe a 2 hour delay ). Down here, the threat of a flurry and schools cancel a day in advance, and stores get hit for supplies like a hurricane is coming. They blame lack of plows. Plows. For flurries........
Considering a decent # of northern transplants live down here ( and all with their 4wd suv's ), one would think that if the snow was light enough that a simple sneeze would clear the driveway, that life could go on as normal...

Old 09-22-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
The time to do your research, visiting, is before you make a lateral move. Don't quite know how you got the impression Madison is a "big" city. Asking those on a forum to make decisions as to whether you should move back where you just came from is a gamble and could be biased.

We did all our research (atleast the best we could) and also visited Madison couple of time before moving here. I did not get a big city impression during both my visits. As I said my husband is really happy here. Its me that's getting homesick (though Florida is not really my home- was living there only for the last three years).

May be I was just venting out here and wanted to hear something positive about Madison. The first (and probably the only) thing people talk about is the big change in weather. I guess I just want to hear other positive things about Wisconsin over Florida.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
while we no longer live in Madison, we did for 25 yrs before moving south ( lifelong WI residents ). We always did like what we had there, but it for us was the winters that took their toll and led to our moving, nothing else.

You are correct on some of the points you raise.
It's not going to give you the full big city feel, as it is not a big city. On the flip side, it also doesn't carry as much of the "baggage" the large cities do. At least not on the larger scale. If you feel the need for the big city, then take a weekend and go down to Chicago or up to Minneapolis. Both can give you more then enough things to do for a long weekend, and are within hours of Madison so driving is easy enough.

For the weather, yes winter can be harsh. If you can embrace it ( meaning find outdoor activities you enjoy ) then you may even look forward to it. If you both are summer people, and hibernate in the winter, then it will be harder and longer.

We were more then happy with the area, as far as raising our child went. Enough things for her to do, while still being able to somewhat shelter her from at least some of the terrible things out there.

My suggestion, without knowing how long you have been up there; is to venture out and see the state. The time is coming shortly where an hour drive from Madison will take you to some beautiful fall scenery. Hit the "cities" a couple times just to give yourself a break and keep a positive attitude about ya. And finally give it thru the winter, so you not only see the other seasons, but are giving your situation another 6 months to improve. Come spring, you both are unhappy, then I guess a decision has been made. But you may find you can not only adapt but also flourish up there.

Best of luck
Thanks. I guess you are right. I need to give it some time. Its been just a week since I moved.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:28 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,003,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Changeistuff View Post
Hi

We (My husband and I) have already relocated from South Florida to Madison, WI. May be this post comes a bit late. However here is my situation:

1. We are in our late 20s. No kids yet.
2. We relocated here for my husband's job.
3. I quit my job to move here.
4. We are South East Asians.

My Husband never liked Florida much so it was an easy move for him. It was more difficult for me as I lived my job and its was extremely difficult leaving my friends. Also everyone in Florida were kinda shocked that we would leave South Florida for Wisconsin.

Here are his reasons for leaving South Florida:

1. Its not a good place to raise kids. School system is pretty bad compared to the rest of the US. My point is that the people I have come across and pretty smart and successful. So I dont understand the whole deal about Florida schools being bad.

2. Not a progressive place. He feels its more of a touristy place and not for young professionals who are career oriented.

I have been here only for a week but this life seems to be way too slow for me. Its really laid back and I am looking for a more fast paced city life. Also i have been hearing horror stories about the winters. Let me add that I am not be a big water person so I am not really missing the Florida beaches.

I am thinking of convincing my husband to move back to Florida. However I do not want that to be an emotional decision hence this post.

Am I being too quick to write this city off? I would really like to hear objective view from people on this forum, especially people who have relocated to Wisconsin and how they feel about this place.
I do not not know what city you currently reside in Wisconsin, but the proposition is pretty clear:

With Fla you get a subtropical climate with horrible social conditions as a balance.

The exact opposite is true for Wisconsin.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
I do not not know what city you currently reside in Wisconsin...
Yeah, she hid that part right in the middle of her first sentence.

Anyway, to the original poster: it sounds like you're predisposed to not like the place, and that's not good because that almost always leads to an unfavorable outcome. The way I see it you have three options: 1) persuade your husband to move back; 2) set aside your predisposition long enough to give your new home a chance, or 3) be miserable. Hopefully you'll do #2 and hopefully you'll find some redeeming qualities about Madison. If after that you find the place is still intolerable, I guess you'll have to have a sit-down with your hubby.

If you need a dose of city life from time to time, Milwaukee is a one-hour drive away and Chicago is a 2.5 hour drive away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin