Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times

Advertisements

My job requires a lot of independent work. Most days I have no trouble keeping my motivation high, but on those days where I am a little tired, or distracted it is hard for me to keep my fire burning.

I downloaded "Think and Grow Rich" which is very helpful to me in keeping my motivation level high. I am wondering if any of you have any tips or tricks or recommended reading that helps you keep a positive attitude, high-energy and motivation.

Thanks for any good recommendations.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 09:45 PM

274 posts, read 998,644 times
i think motivation/drive is directly correlated with feeling 'happy' and content with where you're at. this is what i do.

1. listen to uplifting music or any song that reminds you of summer
2. set small short term goals for yourself and blow them out of the water
3. take a walk in a park on a sunny day
4. exercise/work out
5. surround yourself with people that are high-energy and positive - it's contagious.
6. write down recent accomplishments that you've achieved
7. constantly tell yourself that things will work out... and if not now or next week, there's always a reason for that. that's because there's another opportunity waiting down the road for you
8. look up positive, inspiring, motivating quotes
9. watch inspirational movies (ie. pursuit of happyness)

recommended reading: anything that makes you laugh. go to barnes and noble and look up the humor section. you'll see books about work, office politics, etc. some are hilarious!

Last edited by Rutt Roh; 06-14-2010 at 10:21 PM..

Old 06-15-2010, 04:50 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
They Did Not Give Up

Get inspired...keep going....block out the naysayers and negative people.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:10 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Work for me goes in phases. Capitalize on the times when you are highly motivated. If you are having a week when you are really motivated, work 12 hour+ days to get as much done as you can, then you don't feel as guilty for slacking off when you can't find the motivation.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:34 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
I find that structure really helps when my motivation is flagging. Jot down a couple of clearly defined and manageable goals for the day. It helps serve as a jump-start and crossing things off the list helps me feel accomplished.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:57 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Great tips everybody! Thanks. Keep em comin'

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,339 times
It's relative.

IMO, it boils down to the basic reason a person works, or what gives them the most pleasure in working. It could be achievement, power, recognition, money, social needs, esteem needs, what have you.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:45 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Work for me goes in phases. Capitalize on the times when you are highly motivated. If you are having a week when you are really motivated, work 12 hour+ days to get as much done as you can, then you don't feel as guilty for slacking off when you can't find the motivation.
I wanted to rep you for this but I need to spread the love. I'm the same way!

Inspirational books help me a lot with stuff like this. I'm reading "Now What?" by Nicholas Lore and although it's mostly aimed at young adults planning their careers, there's a lot of great information about goal setting and how to keep yourself motivated even when you feel like giving up.

A quote that I love is one said by Winston Churchill. "When you're going through hell, keep going."

ETA: Great topic

Old 06-15-2010, 09:37 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,028,157 times
I'm in sales. When it get tough (frequently) I like to listen to sales CD's from authors I like when driving to appointments. I find it helps me keep focused on the job at hand and makes me feel like a professional.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:51 AM

30 posts, read 59,977 times
I like to listen to Dani Johnson and Eric Worre, remind myself that everything I do is for my 8 month old son and he deserves the best I can give him, and I think of the life/quality of life I want to help my family achieve. Owning a home based business is tougher than ever with so many different choices out there now and having so much competition, but I know that not all of those HBB owners have what it takes or will do what it takes to get where they want to be. No matter what anyone says, I have full control over my life - it's the little twists of fate that throw obstacles in our way and I have to figure out how to jump over, crawl under, go through or move around them. That's how I stay motivated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment