Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:04 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,627 times

Advertisements

I've gotta run this by you guys, because I'm still trying to determine when I react too sensitively to a given situation.

Would it bother you if your coworkers refused to clean up after themselves? For example: mopping the floor and then not emptying the mop bucket, making coffee without emptying the filter, leaving their papers scattered across mutual workspaces, leaving behind bags of trash instead of throwing them in the dumpster, etc.

Am I just being picky or would this bother you as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 05:24 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
It would. I would ask them if they didn't mind cleaning up the rubbish once they had finished their tasks, but not in an aggressive way.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:25 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
I've gotta run this by you guys, because I'm still trying to determine when I react too sensitively to a given situation.

Would it bother you if your coworkers refused to clean up after themselves? For example: mopping the floor and then not emptying the mop bucket, making coffee without emptying the filter, leaving their papers scattered across mutual workspaces, leaving behind bags of trash instead of throwing them in the dumpster, etc.

Am I just being picky or would this bother you as well?
Yes, it's an issue of manners and common courtesy.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:26 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
This periodically happens in every workplace and then shortly after little reminder signs appear in common areas about picking up after oneself...... yes, its very annoying. I hate the little signs, too. Never can understand how people can be so inconsiderate.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:31 PM

Thank you for your responses. Now the hard part is that this is my manager so I don't feel comfortable telling her to pick up after herself. But it really irks me when I come into work and she says that it was a really slow day, but I go in back and see her dishes in the sink, a bag of trash on the floor, full coffee filters but empty coffee canisters for the guests, a full mop bucket, etc.

I'm afraid that if I don't clean up after her, the next shift will be annoyed with me. But I really don't want to be a doormat and act as her maid. On one hand it really annoys me but on the other I'm not sure if it's really a big enough deal to mention. I only work here part-time now that I got my awesome new job. So I could just keep my mouth shut but I'm worried that I'll be in a bad mood one day and just unleash my fury in a very unpleasant way. Yikes.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:00 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
It would, and I would even want to make some rude, cutting remark, but it wouldn't be the best choice. Leave it alone, and let someone else deal with it, unless they report to you.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:09 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
Maybe people are silently trying to get the company to spring for a cleaning service?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:18 PM

387 posts, read 533,012 times
Maybe they are really busy and forgot? Remind your co-worker in a really nice way.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Maybe people are silently trying to get the company to spring for a cleaning service?
Lmao, the owners are so cheap..they would never go for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalTrust View Post
Maybe they are really busy and forgot? Remind your co-worker in a really nice way.
I used to think that as well, but after coming in EVERY single shift and seeing things like this...well, it's not an issue of forgetting. Especially when I'm told (on numerous occasions) that it was a very slow day.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:48 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Yes, it would bother me and I would not clean it up. I clean up my own messes and feel others should do the same. I'd let the next shift know that I did not make the messes that they've inherited as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment