Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:31 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times

Advertisements

I find good gossip could be about a slacker co-worker, or a boss giving unreasonable demands. I call these good since they're just means to vent legitimate and valid gripes. Venting is healthy.

But bad gossip is frivolous stuff like x co-worker has a bad hair day, or y co-worker is going through a divorce, etc.

I partake in good gossip, but never in bad gossip. it's not in my personality to do so.

Do you do good gossip, bad gossip, or a mixture of both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 05:25 AM

154 posts, read 526,470 times
Good gossip is hearing what people are saying about you so you can be prepared to fight the gossip when you boss comes to you with what he/she has heard. In the past I ignored what people were saying about me at work, which was a terrible mistake. By the time the gossip about me got to my boss my reputation was nearly ruined and he believed it.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:46 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
A good gossip has nothing to do with you and you also make no comments about the topic either, you just listen at the most without making a single comment.

A bad gossip is either about you (something derogatory) or something you contribute with a derogatory comment of your own which may come back to haunt you (and often does).

Old 07-11-2010, 05:58 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
I disagree that any gossip is healthy. A gossip is defined as: "one who habitually reveals personal or sensational facts. Rumor or report of an intimate nature."

Usually, the venting you refer to is best left alone, fire breeds fire.

While working, I find it is best to keep conversations to how to best serve one's employers. Break time conversations are best restricted to the happy times one experienced recently, or anticipates in the near future. People have enough pain in their lives, dwelling on them in conversation doesn't alleviate pain. Talking about ones problems with someone that can do nothing to help is spreading it around, unmercifully, and asking others to participate in your pity party.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:46 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times
All gossip to me is bad. I don't partake in gossip of any kind because I'm too busy to care about what goes on in someone's life.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:57 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
All gossip to me is bad. I don't partake in gossip of any kind because I'm too busy to care about what goes on in someone's life.
Ditto! Amen to that.

I find that any time I slip something more personal about myself in the work place it always ends up backfiring on me. I don't know why. It's like people at the work place are like a bunch of piranhas waiting to get that bite. I never understood that mentality but that's how most work places are. I ignore all of the gossiping and just get my work done. It sucks though because then you end up getting thrown out of the tight high school-ish social circle that people develop at these places. I'd rather do that though then participate in all of that childish crap.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:02 AM

People who do not key into work related gossip usually have very short careers.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:04 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
One could argue the opposite as well.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:06 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
Quote:
One could argue the opposite as well
People who key into workplace gossip are the least productive and would be fired with the quickness where I work.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:38 PM

Wrong! You need to know what people are saying about you before your boss hears it, believes it and calls you out on it. Good employees always know where they stand with their peers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
People who key into workplace gossip are the least productive and would be fired with the quickness where I work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment