Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 10:21 PM

134 posts, read 343,832 times

Advertisements

I'm about to finish my bachelors degree and have a couple years of experience working as a student assistant in my college library. I really like working in a library and would like to do so for at least a few years after graduation. I'm not committed to making a career out of working in a library just yet so it doesn't make sense to jump into an MLS program just yet. What kind of job can I hope to get with a bachelors degree and some experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 10:28 PM

445 posts, read 864,422 times
Library technician or assistant.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:28 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,934,965 times
go to a community college that have a 2 year library technician diploma program

Old 10-27-2012, 07:06 PM

55 posts, read 182,591 times
If you're talking about working in a public library, here are the types of jobs you would be qualified for, and some clarification on job titles:

Shelver/page: put books in order, put books back on the shelves. Salary: slightly above minimum wage, and generally part time. These positions usually require a high school diploma/current enrollment in school. Your main competition would be high school/college students and retirees.

Circulation clerk/ circulation assistant/library assistant: check books out, check in returned books, process books, answer basic questions, deal with angry customers. wages vary, but between $9-14/hr is pretty typical, depending on the amount of responsibility in the individual position, and the variety of tasks you are responsible for. At most libraries, this position asks for a high school diploma, some college preferred.

Library technician: this one is more difficult, because different libraries use it to mean different things. Generally, this is a position on a level similar to a circulation assistant, but you may be asked to do some duties of an associate librarian as well. Often, a technician will have more of a back office role, less customer interaction, but that's not a hard and fast rule. Read the job description to see which one it is.

Library associate/associate librarian/assistant librarian: answer research questions, provide research instruction, recommend books, create library programs. Some libraries still pay peanuts for this position, but in larger library systems (in cities or major metro areas) you can earn a decent wage. Expect a salary of $20-50k/yr. many of these positions are full time, though some part time is available.

I started out as an associate librarian, and it was a great way to get a feel for what being a librarian is like. Unfortunately, nowadays most associate positions go to grads with an MLS. If you are applying for any full time position in a library, you can be sure that some of your competition will have an MLS. It's not impossible to obtain one, but you really ned to know how to sell yourself and your experience for the position. However, if a part time position would work for you, those are a little bit easier to obtain.

Sorry I couldn't offer more optimistic news, but I hope this was helpful.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:28 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Are you willing to work in Nowheresville? Like Alaska, or Montana, or someplace nobody wants to live?

Also, with government budgets getting smaller and smaller and the internet and electronic media getting bigger and bigger, I wouldn't be surprised if the library career opportunities shrink.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:25 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Digital archiving is becoming huge, at college libraries, the Library of Congress, etc. A guy I know with a master's in ethnomusiology (yes) worked his way into being the "personal digital archiving" guy at the LC. He's become something of a tech geek, says that people are usually either on the MLS side or the tech side, but a combination would be ideal.
I think the trade "magazine" is called dLib. Look around- it's the library wave of the future and present.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:57 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Just take the civil test in your state and pass and you'll be a certified . I'm certified to be a librarian but no jobs have came up yet

Old 10-28-2012, 06:31 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Just take the civil test in your state and pass and you'll be a certified . I'm certified to be a librarian but no jobs have came up yet
There is a civil test for becoming a librarian? --- who gives the test?

Old 10-28-2012, 06:47 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
There is a civil test for becoming a librarian? --- who gives the test?
the government..its a basic test you take for any state job.. i took one to become a personnel too..there was another to take to to work in human authority dept too...
i think the test are quite useless but what can i say?

Old 10-28-2012, 11:17 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
No offense meant to all the MLS folks out there (I have a master's so I'm not against them)...

But really a MLS to work at a library...as true full fledged librarian, really? I love libraries and volunteered at one when I was a child and have a great fondness for them that's in my core.

But requiring a librarian to have a Master's reminds me of what some people have mentioned about jobs in general -- requiring more education than is really needed for the job. What about a librarian's job could possibly require that a MLS is vital to the position? That just buys into the master's degree is the new basic degree needed instead of a BA'

I know they do more than 'just look of reference stuff" and check out books -- but really a master's degree? Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment