Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:35 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times

Advertisements

Question. Is it a West coast thing or something to say "Calling off" and "Calling out" when talking about calling in sick? I've never heard that term used before. Here in Texas we just say "I called in sick."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 02:25 PM

83 posts, read 177,263 times
How can anyone seriously bash the OP for this?

If its true that he hadn't called out in 2 years, this is pure bull****.

If I were you I would file a claim, and just to make sure.. lie about the drunk thing..

Say they suspected you were drinking from how you sounded and the fact that it was your birthday.. but don't say you admitted to doing so.

Unless you admit to admitting it, theres no way they can prove it, espically with your clean record..

Old 08-16-2010, 02:33 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
at our property, so long as you call of 5 hours before the start of your shiftm we could care less WHY you did it...I doubt that they were LEGALLY able to fire you since you DID call off...but Itotally understand why they might have....I take a VERY dim view of people that are irresponsible enough to do that.
Unless you have a contract or are in an union, the employer can usually fire you for any reason they see fit as long as it is not due to race, being handicapped, etc. I think it is called "at will" employment. The employer is well within their rights to fire in this situation.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:39 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Unless you have a contract or are in an union, the employer can usually fire you for any reason they see fit as long as it is not due to race, being handicapped, etc. I think it is called "at will" employment. The employer is well within their rights to fire in this situation.

They have this in Arizona and it's called being a "right to work state." Basically if you want the Seahawks on Sunday and they want the Cardinals and you won't change your mind, they can fire
you. Don't believe me? Go get a job in southern Arizona and work it for a while and see what you think about it.

Question. Is it a West coast thing or something to say "Calling off" and "Calling out" when talking about calling in sick? I've never heard that term used before. Here in Texas we just say "I called in sick."

Really! Umm....whatever happened to just calling it calling in sick? Calling off? Who says that?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:59 PM

422 posts, read 1,084,866 times
Yes, Nevada is an 'at will' state which simply means the employer can terminate you for any reason or no reason, except for the major discriminatory reasons like race, age, sex, religion, etc.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:01 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Not even LVD himself would make such a ridiculous post. I would (and have always done) have gone to work even if I was hungover or still mildly intoxicated. You do not deserve unemployment insurance, period. You need to find another job and be more responsible next time.
I totally agree with you LVD. There was nobody drunker than me wehn I was in my prime, but I ALWAYS showed up for work and if I had to, on the all-nighters I would go home at daylight, shower, shave, change clothes and go sleep in the office at the desk so the other drunks could wake me up ay 8am to start work. I learned this trick from one of the professional alcoholics I worked with.

There are two kinds of alcoholics....functioning - which are so pickled all the time their friends, family and co-workers can't tell how hammered they are and they show up for work and do their job like the normal guy and maintain a family. The non-functioning alcoholics are the ones that are visibly intoxicated. can't hold a job and can't keep a family together.

I am guessing the OP is a young person as an old drunk like me would NEVER admit something foolish like this. However, he *may* sadly qualify for UE since he did make the calloff time.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:25 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,804 times
I used to work at a grocery store. Once I was sceduled off on Labor Day, so my wife and I went to a minor league baseball game that started at noon. I drank two beers at the game.

After I got home, my boss called and asked if I could come in and work a 6-11 shift. I agreed (needed the money), but was a little nervous about it.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:39 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zherdev View Post
How can anyone seriously bash the OP for this?

If its true that he hadn't called out in 2 years, this is pure bull****.

If I were you I would file a claim, and just to make sure.. lie about the drunk thing..

Say they suspected you were drinking from how you sounded and the fact that it was your birthday.. but don't say you admitted to doing so.

Unless you admit to admitting it, theres no way they can prove it, espically with your clean record..
File a claim for UE benefits? Are you kidding.

And I'm sure at this point everyone at this former job has heard is reason and since it happened on his birthday that just adds to the mix.

He should have said I have a stomach flu, they wouldn't him around food. And they wouldn't want to hear about his symptoms...LOL.

As one poster said don't volunteer information that you aren't asked.

Chalk it up as a life lesson and move on.

He is not going to get unemployment for being stupid.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
As for the posters comments. I've worked third shift at restaurants and if his is anything like my experiences it would be wierd if you were sober at work third shift at a restaurant.
You must have worked at some really top notch establishments. Not.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
It probably stems from the hospitality industry where if your shift is cancelled (due to lack of customers etc) you're "called off", so I guess it's just migrated to employees saying they're "calling off"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment