Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 02:43 PM

299 posts, read 1,132,553 times

Advertisements

Just curious, I applied to several jobs a year ago. Those same EXACT jobs are still on the job boards and company websites. I applied to them then and I am applying to them now. I doubt anything would come of it but can someone enlighten me as to why I am seeing these particular positions posted for so long? I am talking about several.... 5 to be exact. They are right up my alley and at very reputable companies..

What the heck???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 02:45 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
I've seen positions like that too; that have been posted for more than 5 months. I wonder if they are bait to get job seekers.

I've also applied for jobs I saw online only to have an HR person contact me saying the position was long filled and some job search sites hadn't taken them down yet.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:48 PM

299 posts, read 1,132,553 times
Miss Crab,

I don't think they are to get jobseekers as they are posted on the actual company websites. Something is going on but what I don't know....

229 posts, read 573,908 times
I talked to one HR person who said they were 'feelers' and not real jobs. They post them to see the quality of people out there looking and to keep on eye on folks they might want to hire in the future. I wouldn't put too much hope into them turning into a real position.

Still and all, a job I applied for a year ago did ask for an interview. I did not get the job, but it does not hurt to keep sending them your resume. You never know what could turn up.

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Could be several reasons.

1. The web staff/hr staff simply have not gotten around to taking down the posting.
2. The job has lost its salary line in the budget, but they hope to get it back, so are collecting resumes in case it does get funded.
3. They have not found a good fit, or the person that was hired left quickly and the job is open again.
4. The company is simply dysfunctional.
5. They have not gotten around to hiring yet.

I recently had a job open for 4 months or so. A variety of things all happened to come to this result.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Many post jobs that are funded but will not be filled. the projected expense shows as a planned expense on the books. When the time comes, they unfund the position returning that money form expense to reserve. the company does this with many positions and one day they have a million dollars of savings from budgeted expenses and the bosses gets bonus.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:09 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I have applied for jobs like that too. They are usually decent jobs that require a lot of skills and experience but they aren't real. The company is looking for a pool of qualified applicants.....just in case they need someone.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:17 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Yes there's a company here in town that is notorious for this. They're just looking to see if they can hire someone cheaper than the staff they've already got. They've interviewed everyone in town. It must cost so much money to advertise and interview, I don't know how they pay for it (probably by paying bottom dollar).

For other positions, the reason could be that the position is a revolving door--they can't get anyone to stick around so they just constantly interview and advertise.

I'd say its a red flag.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:55 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,347 times
I would say dysfunctional is the right word for some companies. I know of one hiring manager who interview 50 or so candidates in a span of 1 year before he finally narrowed it down to one, talk about picky!

I've also seen jobs that I've applied for more than half a year ago still on the job sites. Some of those jobs are up probably because of incompetent HR folks who can't seem to find the right candidate because they are too focused on getting candidates who have all the right keywords in their resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment