Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:33 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,441,232 times

Advertisements

I am very curious on if being a Financial Analyst would work with me, given I have AS (aspergers).

I am good at research, digging deep and analyzing (or over analyzing) anything!
I have an interest in doing investments.
I can handle and enjoy some degree of people interaction, 75/25 split in terms of solo research v dealing with people.

My big thing is I need a job with predictable structure in terms of what will be done each day, what the hours are, and if they can be steady 9-5, some OT ok but better if it's more on occassion than regular and known in advance.

I know accounting is ranked high for AS Jobs, but I am more interested in learning about how to invest and manage money as opposed to doing taxes.

I am NOT into being a day trader, more like an analyst who helps firms decide how to invest retirement funds.

If any of you work in the finance or accounting field, please, please do sharMost for me, I have AS, and for me, it is very important a job has
-predictable schedule and hours, knowing each day what is in store for me, if there is overtime, knowing in advance so I can have it planned. I really need structure and predictablity along with manageable hours. Having OT done occassionally is fine, if known in advance, but having that every day or all the time would be really stressful for me, I do better with set 9-5 hours and OT being known, planned, and here and there. I can handle OT, summary, but here and there, known/planned in advance, and not the norm everyday.

Please let me know if you feel this will or will not fit.
Thanks.

Last edited by Hudlander; 07-10-2011 at 11:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 PM

I'd be curious on how being a financial analyst compares to that of accountant in terms of:

1) Do accountants mostly do taxes or do they handle money management and investing too?
2) How do the hours compare? Are both similar or is finance much longer and less 9-5?
3) Are both predictable in terms of the work for the day?
4) Do you get out of the office much?
5) Would an AS person fit?

Old 07-10-2011, 11:53 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,194,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
I'd be curious on how being a financial analyst compares to that of accountant in terms of:

1) Do accountants mostly do taxes or do they handle money management and investing too?
They can do all of the above depending on the type of ADDITIONAL credentials they have. Accountants gather Financial Information and FA's decide where the Finances go.....i.e. Allocation.

2) How do the hours compare? Are both similar or is finance much longer and less 9-5? If you become a CPA, you'll be working your ass off at a Public Accounting firm If you opt to work for a corporation,Gvmnt agency, you'll have "bankers hours" with occasional late nights depnding on what your job function is. As a FA if you work for any sort of firm be ready to put in hours galore.

3) Are both predictable in terms of the work for the day? In a Corporation/Gvmnt Agency, yes. If you're working for a Public Accounting firm you could spend a lot of time building up a book of clients. At CPA firms it's all about bringing in new clients. It's no different than a law student that starts working at a law firm.......it's all about billable hours.

4) Do you get out of the office much? Only in Public Accounting, for client meetings.

5) Would an AS person fit? It could cause issues as a Public Account where you're interacting with clients. As well as a Financial Analyst when you're working on a team project.

I hope that helps. Anymore questions, let me know.

Last edited by Ron.; 07-11-2011 at 12:32 AM..

Old 07-11-2011, 12:11 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,194,590 times
Hey HL,

I was a FA for 10 years( B.S.-Finance) until downsized than after 2 years I am now a Fiscal officer. I'll offer what I can.

It all depends on how far you want to go in your career as a FA. Do you want to be on the client side or investment side? Like A Fund Manager? or Financial Planner. If so, either case there will be strong interactions with people.

My first 10 was spent as a analyst working on Mergers and Acquisitions. Good stuff but the hours will kill you.

The skill set that you'll develop is second to none. You'll be sharp as a tack. You'll be able to run BIG companies better than CEO's with a M&A background.

Do you want to work in Private Equity and analyze company Financial Statements all day? That's a good path to go down. You'll learn so much. In 5-7 years, you can start your own firm doing leveraged buyouts than go after Institutional investor capital for business buying investment activities.

As far as accounting, It's a different path. They do different jobs.
You work in CPA firms(includes working for yourself) or you work for a Corporation or Agency.

As far as having AS, it MIGHT cause an issue as you try to move up the ranks. The higher you go up, the more "social" it becomes and political.

The Partners/Directors(at firm's) or SVP's(Corporations) almost ALWAYS interact with people. Their job is driven by it.

If you need any more insight, let me know.

Ron

Quote:
I am very curious on if being a Financial Analyst would work with me, given I have AS (aspergers).

I am good at research, digging deep and analyzing (or over analyzing) anything!
I have an interest in doing investments.
I can handle and enjoy some degree of people interaction, 75/25 split in terms of solo research v dealing with people.

My big thing is I need a job with predictable structure in terms of what will be done each day, what the hours are, and if they can be steady 9-5, some OT ok but better if it's more on occassion than regular and known in advance.

I know accounting is ranked high for AS Jobs, but I am more interested in learning about how to invest and manage money as opposed to doing taxes.

I am NOT into being a day trader, more like an analyst who helps firms decide how to invest retirement funds.

If any of you work in the finance or accounting field, please, please do sharMost for me, I have AS, and for me, it is very important a job has
-predictable schedule and hours, knowing each day what is in store for me, if there is overtime, knowing in advance so I can have it planned. I really need structure and predictablity along with manageable hours. Having OT done occassionally is fine, if known in advance, but having that every day or all the time would be really stressful for me, I do better with set 9-5 hours and OT being known, planned, and here and there. I can handle OT, summary, but here and there, known/planned in advance, and not the norm everyday.

Please let me know if you feel this will or will not fit.
Thanks.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:00 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,840,907 times
Quote:

Everyone I know who has any job is fiancee works close to 80 hours.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:19 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,478,297 times
I don't think any office job is 9-5 anymore. It's 8-5 or 9-6 at minimum.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:30 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,640,540 times
I have an accounting background and even when I did more accounting (payroll accounting) it was still predominantly driven by the season-- year end, year begin, quarters, etc-- all driven by various hours.

If there is a service recovery issue-- then you dont have any plan on when overtime will be required.

When I moved more into a systems perspective and now a product management perspective, the hours are not so huge-- they are planned (travel, deadlines, etc). BUT-- the job is highly social.

Most people I know who had accounting or finance backgrounds are not doing strict finance nor accounting. They went on various pathways.

I will say this I work for a very large financial services firm-- it is very tough to get into fund analysis in my world-- and those folks work pretty solid hours.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Hey HL,

I was a FA for 10 years( B.S.-Finance) until downsized than after 2 years I am now a Fiscal officer. I'll offer what I can.

It all depends on how far you want to go in your career as a FA. Do you want to be on the client side or investment side? Like A Fund Manager? or Financial Planner. If so, either case there will be strong interactions with people.

My first 10 was spent as a analyst working on Mergers and Acquisitions. Good stuff but the hours will kill you.

The skill set that you'll develop is second to none. You'll be sharp as a tack. You'll be able to run BIG companies better than CEO's with a M&A background.

Do you want to work in Private Equity and analyze company Financial Statements all day? That's a good path to go down. You'll learn so much. In 5-7 years, you can start your own firm doing leveraged buyouts than go after Institutional investor capital for business buying investment activities.

As far as accounting, It's a different path. They do different jobs.
You work in CPA firms(includes working for yourself) or you work for a Corporation or Agency.

As far as having AS, it MIGHT cause an issue as you try to move up the ranks. The higher you go up, the more "social" it becomes and political.

The Partners/Directors(at firm's) or SVP's(Corporations) almost ALWAYS interact with people. Their job is driven by it.

If you need any more insight, let me know.

Ron
Hi Ron.
Thank you for your insight.
I did have a few additional questions.

First, I should specify, I am interested in finance in being a financial consulatant/analyst. Specifically, being a person who helps institutions (like pensions) invest their money and be solvent.
Which in my research would be considered BUY side.
I am not so much into being somebody who runs a company, simply helping pension plans get money is what I would like to use finance to do.

Second, people interaction does not bother me. Now if it's doing customer service phone calls all day, that is too much. However I do enjoy interacting with people at a certain basis, say 25% of the time, maybe a little more. I can handle it.

Third, my main concern is hours and schedule. I am a person who needs structure and needs to be with "the devil I know."
A job which has predictable hours and a worday which I can plan in advance and know what I am store for, I can do.
A job which has overtime "here and there" but not consistently day-in-day-out, I can do.
"Bankers" hours, I can handle. But if it's going to overtime all the time, or trial lawyer style in terms of hours, that would be overwhelming.

So the big key for me:
1) People interaction is fine, but so long as it not all the time. Smoozing with clients I can do, but 25% of the day.

KEY KEY KEY
2) Predictable work schedule in terms of knowing what my day and hours will be and being able to have a gameplan
3) "Bankers" hours, not "trial lawyer" hours with good work-life balance are VERY big.

So my question, given what works best for me, is the finance industry a good fit? Is it common or typical to find a position which follows this structure or would it be something not to count on?

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:08 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,840,907 times
Quote:
Hi Ron.
Thank you for your insight.
I did have a few additional questions.

First, I should specify, I am interested in finance in being a financial consulatant/analyst. Specifically, being a person who helps institutions (like pensions) invest their money and be solvent.
Which in my research would be considered BUY side.
I am not so much into being somebody who runs a company, simply helping pension plans get money is what I would like to use finance to do.

Second, people interaction does not bother me. Now if it's doing customer service phone calls all day, that is too much. However I do enjoy interacting with people at a certain basis, say 25% of the time, maybe a little more. I can handle it.

Third, my main concern is hours and schedule. I am a person who needs structure and needs to be with "the devil I know."
A job which has predictable hours and a worday which I can plan in advance and know what I am store for, I can do.
A job which has overtime "here and there" but not consistently day-in-day-out, I can do.
"Bankers" hours, I can handle. But if it's going to overtime all the time, or trial lawyer style in terms of hours, that would be overwhelming.

So the big key for me:
1) People interaction is fine, but so long as it not all the time. Smoozing with clients I can do, but 25% of the day.

KEY KEY KEY
2) Predictable work schedule in terms of knowing what my day and hours will be and being able to have a gameplan
3) "Bankers" hours, not "trial lawyer" hours with good work-life balance are VERY big.

So my question, given what works best for me, is the finance industry a good fit? Is it common or typical to find a position which follows this structure or would it be something not to count on?

Thanks!

Based on your requirments I would say no.

I work in wholesale and I am only allocated 40 hours a week and we still work 9-5:30 at a minimum. 9 - 6:30 in the summer.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:24 PM

What does wholesale have to do with my interest?

45 hours is not bad....I am more concerned with unpredictable schedules, and 8-8 or midnight oil hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment