Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:28 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,203,695 times

Advertisements

I'm 50 and have driven a taxi since 1994 fulltime; part-time from 90-94 on weekends to supplement a basic office job.

I'm humiliated and embarrased to tell people I drive a cab, and often usually lie or don't talk about my job sometimes if it's simply a casual conversation in public. At other times, I do tell clerks and strangers I drive a cab just to see if they're surprised, because I'm personable, white, somewhat well spoken and not filthy like some cabbies.

I never was an exceptional high school or college student, so I realize taxi driving shouldn't be so"beneath me ," but Boston is very educated in many parts of the metreo, so many people naturally look down on blue collar jobs.

BUT, I love my job, even working 72 hours per week. Most of that is downtime, waiting for fares or cruising the streets, thus allowing me time for City-Data! The hourly pay is not good, even with tips, and no benes whatsoever. But one must love going to work, right? Or at least not hate it.

I'm a loner in real life with mental health issues and homosexuality, but love the cameraderie of inside the cab with some of the customers. But it's short-term and superficial encounters, much like my real life.

At 50, I could drive until 70 by law, I think.

Suddenly, taxi driving doesn't seem so pathetic in this economy and at this age.

My one big regret is I wasted my most productive years of my life in a mential job, and have no financial security. But with my above-referenced issues, I couldn't keep a real job or enjoy hanging out with normal persons in conventional jobs.

Some cabbies are certainly educated and left good jobs for whatever reason, but I detest when customers are surprised that I have a college degree, though only Economics and not a professional degree.

Many limo companies (harder hit by the recession than cabs probably) recruit retirees. I drove limos briefly before taxis. So that's an option, but not well paying, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 06:42 PM

164 posts, read 441,077 times
I wasn't aware that driving taxi's was frowned upon. I'm sure you have some pretty crazy experiences that most people will never have with a normal 9-5.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:20 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,041,837 times
It seems alot of people were making a very good income & they wont settle for much less. I have never made alot of money & for the first time in many yrs ill be making only min wage. That sucks cause in ca its peauts.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:00 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,430,828 times
Anyone who has an attitude about how you make your living isn't worth knowing. The hell with 'em.
If someone does socially ask, "What do you do?" it can be interesting to say something like, "I'd like to talk to you for a few minutes without us exchanging 'what do you do for a living' facts." It's not the most interesting thing about me. I'd like to know, "What are you thinking about these days? What is important to you? What would you like a new person to know about you without reciting your occupation, if you are in fact working?"
They'll either faint, turn away, or have a good conversation.
I was raised on tips- taxi driver and waitress. And will always bristle at the phrase "trailer trash." Hey, it's affordable housing.
Oh, try asking people what they're reading lately. Who cares how they make their money, as long as it's legal? (And if it isn't, that MIGHT be interesting!)
An honest living is an honest living.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:04 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,094,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Anyone who has an attitude about how you make your living isn't worth knowing. The hell with 'em.
If someone does socially ask, "What do you do?" it can be interesting to say something like, "I'd like to talk to you for a few minutes without us exchanging 'what do you do for a living' facts." It's not the most interesting thing about me. I'd like to know, "What are you thinking about these days? What is important to you? What would you like a new person to know about you without reciting your occupation, if you are in fact working?"
They'll either faint, turn away, or have a good conversation.
I was raised on tips- taxi driver and waitress. And will always bristle at the phrase "trailer trash." Hey, it's affordable housing.
Oh, try asking people what they're reading lately. Who cares how they make their money, as long as it's legal? (And if it isn't, that MIGHT be interesting!)
An honest living is an honest living.
I agree, Idon't think there's anything wrong with driving a cab, it's honest work. Same thing with delivering pizzas. I think that cabbies must have some of the best stories ever to tell at parties.

And there's a big difference between those who live in mobile homes and trailer trash--the people who live in mobile homes don't end up episodes of COPS.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:27 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,950,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I'm 50 and have driven a taxi since 1994 fulltime; part-time from 90-94 on weekends to supplement a basic office job.

I'm humiliated and embarrased to tell people I drive a cab, and often usually lie or don't talk about my job sometimes if it's simply a casual conversation in public. At other times, I do tell clerks and strangers I drive a cab just to see if they're surprised, because I'm personable, white, somewhat well spoken and not filthy like some cabbies.
I think it would be neat... I can only imagine the stories you could tell.

Nobody should ever be embarrassed by doing honest work.

As far as "looking down" on blue collar jobs you ever look at the craftsmanship a good tile setter possesses? Not a weekend guy mind you but someone who has done the work for years and knows what they are doing. Really amazing stuff.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:41 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,118 times
Default re: are you over 50?

I like the cab driving story.
They are looking for cabbies in my neck o the woods.
But that gig sounds scary for a coupla reasons.
I just saw a movie where this cab driver gets shot
in the head, robbed, and left for dead (not Taxi Driver).
The inherent dangers involved make me think twice
before wanting to drive a cab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment