Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 PM

168 posts, read 425,018 times

Advertisements

I make a whopping salary in the low 30K range with an MS degree in one of the nations most overpriced, overrated metropolitan areas (DC if you couldn't guess). I have come to the conclusion that I don't think I ever want to work for a salary again. Whether I work 20 hours a week or 90 hours a week, I still make the same horrible salary. I do not get overtime pay no matter what. In the past, I worked manual labor where overtime was paid anytime 8 hours was succeeded in a day. I also worked for employers where it was paid after 40 hours in a week. I also worked a commissioned job where I was paid for production. I would rather have any of these options right now.

Does anyone else feel this way? I have no problem working 12-15 hours a day if I am paid accordingly. I also have no problem being paid for production, as I will break my back for an employer if I know I will get more money. I don't agree with everyone being paid a flat salary with little chance of raises or advancement, no overtime, and no performance based incentives. I am going to quit my job in December regardless of if I have a new one or not, move to an area I want to live, and probably go back into a job that is hourly or commission based.

To anyone that has one of these jobs right now and thinks they would rather work salary, don't. The fallacy of salary pay being better is only true if you're a ****ty worker that finds ways to never have to stay late or come in early and does not perform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 05:53 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,689,094 times
you mentioned alot about working overtime and productivity, but how are you going to feel if at the end of the week you really only worked 30 hours and thats all your paid for? If you know you will be working over 40 hours regualarly, hourly is a great thing, but if you need that 40 hour pay, what will you do when you work less than 40 hours and get paid only for the hours you actually worked? Two-way street.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:00 PM

100 posts, read 291,725 times
They have us over a barrel. I worked 3 weeks straight day and night as a "manager" on "salary," this was just a way to get me to cover everyone's shift and do 5 different jobs plus answer beepers all night, for a 40-hour paycheck. I almost crashed my car on one of my "breaks," or time off between beeps, because I was exhausted. This was a job taking care of disabled young people, too, and they did not get the care they needed because of these practices. All I can say is jobs are few and far between, be careful!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:29 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,657,074 times
I would definitely hold off on the move until times are better. The job market is pitiful.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:42 PM

168 posts, read 425,018 times
Held off for two years after turning down a job I should have took. At this point it is now or never. I have no one I'm tied to and I have saved over 25K on two horrible salaries. This was all while being raped by the DC area cost of living. Before this I lived in another expensive area (NJ, right outside of NYC). I figure if I can save what I did in those two areas I will be fine in the area I am going to. Believe me, it isn't below me to take ANY job until something comes up.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:51 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,679,388 times
I understand your frustration. I've watched many friends and relatives, who were salaried, work ridiculous hours. I am sure you will land on your feet and I wish you well.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:19 PM

164 posts, read 440,941 times
As pitiful as it is, I really wish I could make $30k a year. I used to make a good bit more, but lately I can't find a job that pays more than half of that.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:30 PM

329 posts, read 1,047,765 times
this is the WRONG time to be having your "jerry maguire" moment. wait until the economy is better before you tell the corporate world to shove it.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
this is the WRONG time to be having your "jerry maguire" moment. wait until the economy is better before you tell the corporate world to shove it.
The OP has posted on the FL boards and seems to think life will be better down there. FL has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.

And UE benefits max out at $275 a week. He doesn't seem to also understand the salaries are much lower in Florida.

For example a nurse in NY will be making $38 an hour, the same nurse will get $21 an hour in FL. Yes the COL is somewhat cheaper, but not that much cheaper.

So many come to Florida and end up in tough spots financially.

But you can't tell these people what they don't want to hear.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:01 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,624,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The OP has posted on the FL boards and seems to think life will be better down there. FL has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.

And UE benefits max out at $275 a week. He doesn't seem to also understand the salaries are much lower in Florida.

For example a nurse in NY will be making $38 an hour, the same nurse will get $21 an hour in FL. Yes the COL is somewhat cheaper, but not that much cheaper.

So many come to Florida and end up in tough spots financially.

But you can't tell these people what they don't want to hear.
Nope because everyone thinks FL is nirvanna and the beaches are here so the jobs will follow-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment