Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
OK, my 2 1/2 year old thread just came back from sick leave and is back at work again finally. I think the people defending this practice are like the coworker I was complaining about. Sick leave hogs. I would explain the old fashioned concept of work ethic, but what would be the point of explaining that to the excuse makers? At least I get overtime pay for the long hours I have to work covering for people absent time and again, for their "sickness", even though I'd rather be able to go home after 8. Oh well, beats not having a job.
Ethics include not going to work sick and infecting the rest of the office. Ethics include not sending a sick child to school and infecting the rest of the class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 02:22 PM

476 posts, read 466,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
On the other hand......

I was at my former employer for 20 years and we were given 7 days sick leave per year. If you didn't use it it "accrued" in case you had a major issue and were out for months.

I took a total of 8 sick days in my 20 years. I had accrued 140 less 8 or 132 sick days I did not take. They then shut the plant down and I was terminated without any compensation for those sick days.

Looking back I should have taken every sick day I was entitled to. I knew other people that took every day they had coming and it didn't seem to affect their performance reviews. I feel like I cheated myself out of some time trying to be a "good employee".

But if you had the misfortune of a major issue then you would be thankful that you saved it up. Anything can happen. You could slip and break a bone and need weeks off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment