Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 10:53 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
And why is it they have lead a sheltered life away from such disasters? Could it be they had a much better work ethic back then, than the younger generation has? Whose fault is it that you are not a doctor, or lawyer, or someone else who has a really good income. I bet you are going to say it's your parents fault because they didn't send you to college and pay your way. The OP is sick and tired of hearing people in their 70's complaining about the younger generation. I'm sick and tired of hearing the younger generation blame eveyone else for the perdiciment they are in. Life is what you make it. No one is going to hire you if there are a dozen other people with a better attitude and better qualifications applying for the same job. John Wayne had a quote that seems to fit many situations, and it went like this: "Life is tough, but it is even tougher when you're stupid".
Yap, damn aint gonna hire me . maybe they ain thire u cuz u a biscuit eatin redneck yall, kina hard to get a job yall when the person competing with ya works in india for 1/3 of your salary yall. damn this is a damn perdiciment yall. I know many, many unemployed lawyers. Not doctors though b/c they actually regulate the number of medical schools and degrees.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:03 AM

470 posts, read 1,036,768 times
Quote:
And why is it they have lead a sheltered life away from such disasters? Could it be they had a much better work ethic back then, than the younger generation has? Whose fault is it that you are not a doctor, or lawyer, or someone else who has a really good income. I bet you are going to say it's your parents fault because they didn't send you to college and pay your way. The OP is sick and tired of hearing people in their 70's complaining about the younger generation. I'm sick and tired of hearing the younger generation blame eveyone else for the perdiciment they are in. Life is what you make it. No one is going to hire you if there are a dozen other people with a better attitude and better qualifications applying for the same job. John Wayne had a quote that seems to fit many situations, and it went like this: "Life is tough, but it is even tougher when you're stupid".
Better work ethic??????? Thanks, I needed a laugh this morning. Let me ask you this. Did it really matter about your work ethic 20, 30, even 40 years ago? The industrial world was in ruins after WWII. When the first Baby Boomers entered the workforce in the 60's and 70's who did they have to compete with for jobs?.....................I'm sorry I can't hear you on this side of your computer. I'll say it for you. NOBODY!! Up until now most of your self loving Baby Boomers haven't had any hard knocks. Gen X got a little bit of a head start, but they're so few and far between they don't make much noise one way or the other.

Don't let people age 45 to 65 fool you. THEY HAD IT EASY. I'll leave my under 30 brethren with a link to a great "letter" from the Baby Boomers to them. It hits the nail right on the head.

ginandtacos.com » Blog Archive » AN OPEN LETTER FROM THE BOOMERS TO THEIR CHILDREN

Old 11-17-2010, 07:04 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
It's obvious you have always been an employee. Otherwise, you might know what you are talking about. If you wanted to keep your head in the sand, you could turn that around and say bad employees make bad employers. Employers don't all have it as easy as you may think. They have expenses you as an employee don't even know about. They have to pay part of your social security benefits, taxes, and sometimes wages to people that are not worth the wage they are paid. If a union is not dictating what kind of wages and benefits an employer has to pay, the government does. People feel sorry for themselves because they don't have what their friends have. Life is what you make it. The mistakes you make when you are young are the mistakes you will have to live with. To those of you out there complaining about employers and low wages, why didn't you get a better education so you would be better equipped to make a living? Why didn't you become an employer, one of those that makes all the money? Could it possibly be you were too lazy to go on to college?
Apparently you are ignorant to the number of college educated people who are unemployed. I am one of millions. As for starting a business, I would love to, but can't get the funds yet.

Quote:
News flash: Law firms are laying off and hospitals are reducing staff and some are closing due to bankruptcy.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:04 AM

470 posts, read 1,036,768 times
Great quote from the Boomer Letter, lmaof.

"We grew up in a much different world (hence our endless lectures about the way things were in the fifties and sixties) that you kids wouldn't recognize. Ridiculously cheap energy – at least until 1973 – and the fact that WWII left the rest of the industrialized world in ruins allowed us to grow up with unprecedented prosperity. Even though our parents were minimally educated, blue collar work still paid back then. Of course, none of this is anything that we did. Our parents fought the war and did the hard work. But it sure did give us one hell of a sense of entitlement!"

Old 11-17-2010, 07:15 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Your posting is incorrect. Disney is the largest employer in CENTRAL FLORIDA, not the entire state.

The "whole economy" is not service related. Hundreds of other industries exist and do well in FL. Disney's average salary is about $35k a year. Not everyone there works picking up trash or dispensing cokes at a stand.

Meg Whitman in California spent over 81 million on her campaign. Emm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well Flori-duh's whole economy is service industry related. Disney is the largest employer in the state. Their salaries average around $9 an hour.

They also just elected Rick Scott as the new governor, whose company was convicted of the largest Medicare fraud in US history.

He paid 72 million dollars of his own money to get elected to a job that pays less than 200K, good luck Flori-duh!

Old 11-17-2010, 10:07 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
72 million out of what though? Those millions could be insignificant for a greater ego high, power. Isn't campaign financing and ads great??? Maybe you guys should vote against it so you can get some legit non douche candidates.

In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women. - Tony Montana

Old 11-19-2010, 07:42 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
When I go to work tomorrow night, I'll go a bit early, so I can note down all the businesses with help wanted signs in their windows.
So what are the names of those that have help wanted signs?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:00 AM

164 posts, read 440,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
So what are the names of those that have help wanted signs?
They don't exist, they come from the same place most of the other "plenty of jobs" come from. Somebodies a**.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:50 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKarrde View Post
They don't exist, they come from the same place most of the other "plenty of jobs" come from. Somebodies a**.
That's what I figured. He never came back and stated where those jobs were because they don't exist. And here I thought he was actually really offering to help some people.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:05 AM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
Better work ethic??????? Thanks, I needed a laugh this morning. Let me ask you this. Did it really matter about your work ethic 20, 30, even 40 years ago? The industrial world was in ruins after WWII. When the first Baby Boomers entered the workforce in the 60's and 70's who did they have to compete with for jobs?.....................I'm sorry I can't hear you on this side of your computer. I'll say it for you. NOBODY!! Up until now most of your self loving Baby Boomers haven't had any hard knocks. Gen X got a little bit of a head start, but they're so few and far between they don't make much noise one way or the other.

Don't let people age 45 to 65 fool you. THEY HAD IT EASY. I'll leave my under 30 brethren with a link to a great "letter" from the Baby Boomers to them. It hits the nail right on the head.
Please tell me how old you are. I'm 44, and I'm a GenX'er.

"The industrial world was in ruins after WWII."???? Yes, Germany and Japan and to some extent the rest of Europe were in ruins. However, can you remind me which parts of the United States were bombed during WWII? Maybe you come from one of those alternate realities that Turtledove likes to read about. It's hard to take you seriously if you don't even know basic history.

Boomers had to compete with... wait a minute, just wait.... EACH OTHER. Please review basic economic supply & demand theories, along with management philosophies of the 1960's and 1970's. You might also want to review economic conditions in those periods, especially inflation to see how they affected retirement savings and income. I hate Boomers with a passion but their work ethic and engineering expertise took us to the moon and helped create one of the greatest expansions in wealth and industrial output ever seen in this country. Boomers developed mainframe computers that processed data and led the way for the information age which followed. Boomers volunteered to serve in the Peace Corp in sometimes very lonely, isolated places in the hope that they could share their technical expertise and change the lives of some very desperate people.

GenX'ers were the classic latch key kids, look after yourself, play video games (yes we did have video games before Millenials and their Xbox 360 showed up). We dealt with tough job markets in the 90's and bad economic conditions with the exception of 1995-2000 which were fantastic. Yes, we sometimes complained. Yes, we sometimes lived with our parents. But guess what!! Now the millenials live with their parents and it's normal to live in mom & dad's basement. Eventually we found jobs. We built internet companies and startups and began the Internet Age long before anyone had heard of Twitter and Facebook.

Millenials... what can I say. Apparently they like to complain about how mom & dad won't step aside and give them their job. They all seem to want to be CEO by 25, and don't understand when they aren't made a VP on the first day. Yes, initiative is nice if it's about helping the company, but not if it's just about helping YOU get ahead. God forbid you ask a millenial to work 41 hours a week (instead of 40). Working an extra hour might kill them. Trust me, what I see out there is that companies would rather hire people under 30. There's a reason GenX (40's) and the Boomers (60's) are complaining so much. It's because the Millenials (20's) are getting a lot (not all) of the good jobs.

Whew! I'm glad I got that off my chest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment