Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 05:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Title: Transcript Editor: REGULAR AVAILABILITY
Project ID: 659621
Budget: Not Sure/Confidential

Category: Writing, Editing & Translation
Description:
Need an editor with EXCEPTIONAL, FLAWLESS English who has excellent grammar, who understands the mechanics of punctuation (correct comma placement, complete sentences, em dashes, ellipses, etc.), and who can edit and proof TRANSCRIPTS. Thus, it's helpful if you also have transcription experience.

**Can afford to pay up to $6.35 per hour, rate dependent upon results of your short editing test and interview.**

Depending on the assignment, the job will include:

- Researching proper nouns and industry terminology;
- Proofing transcripts verbatim against the audio;
- Regrouping sentences when needed to improve paragraph structure;
- Resolving phonetic spellings;
- Eliminating content redundancy (i.e., when a speaker repeats themselves);
- Properly punctuating all content.

Please, you MUST be available to proof transcripts DAILY. You won't yet receive one each day, but I need someone who can devote an hour or two for a transcript if I do need one returned that day. (Average # of pages on these are 20 or less and transcripts are in good shape and already edited once. Major overhauls should *very* rarely be needed.)

Project will be awarded based on HOURLY RATE and SKILLS. Please expect a multi-phase, live interview process as well as a short editing test.

When you apply, please provide an editing (or transcript) sample, if available. A long-term (indefinite!) position, but need someone who can devote a few hours a week EVERY week for the foreseeable future.
This is too much!

They want TOP SKILLS. They want the person to be available every day just in case they have work they want returned immediately. They want to give a "multi-phase live interview" and a test.

What are they offering?

The chance (if they happen to need you that day, and you better be available everyday just in case they do) to make $6.35 per hour (depending upon results of test and interview), which is almost a dollar less than the Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 05:54 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Is this from freelancer or one of the other project bidding sites? I'm on one of those sites and I see lots of cheap labor being requested. However, I happened into a situation where I'm making good money sitting at home working. You never know what you will find on one of these sites.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:00 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Maybe it's a typo and they meant $16 or $26!

Old 10-30-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Is this from freelancer or one of the other project bidding sites? I'm on one of those sites and I see lots of cheap labor being requested. However, I happened into a situation where I'm making good money sitting at home working. You never know what you will find on one of these sites.
I think it's from guru.com. I am not a member but I know someone who is and sometimes she shares some of the more "unbelievable" project requests.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:35 PM

Thanks! I've heard of that one too but it is not the one I am associated with. You have to remember too that when you are looking at these projects that these sites are worldwide and though $6.35/hr is breaking the labor laws in the US, that's good money in some other foreign countries.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Thanks! I've heard of that one too but it is not the one I am associated with. You have to remember too that when you are looking at these projects that these sites are worldwide and though $6.35/hr is breaking the labor laws in the US, that's good money in some other foreign countries.
Yes, I do know that they have international members who live in countries with a much lower cost of living than the US and no minimum wage laws.

However, please consider the DEMANDS of this particular project! I do not think the uber picky person who posted it would deign to accept a third-world candidate who has "english as a second or third language" (although that level appears to be the most they are willing to pay for).

Old 10-30-2010, 04:15 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
I don't know. I just found this and it looks pretty similar. Did you get this through email?

Old 10-30-2010, 05:35 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Something fishy about this ad. It comes up alot in Google. That usually leads to scam work / victims.

Not sure. If you go further with this , try to find out the name of the company. I could not find ANY info about the name of the company , address or phone number.

Tread slowly.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 PM

Well if it's posted on guru.com or elance.com it may not be a scam...but certainly low paying. I was paid over $40,000/yr to sit home M-F 8-5 waiting for work that sometimes didn't come. This certainly isn't paying that good but for someone looking to pick up piece-meal work it is money nonetheless but not something I would bid on even in these desperate times.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
This is too much!

They want TOP SKILLS. They want the person to be available every day just in case they have work they want returned immediately. They want to give a "multi-phase live interview" and a test.

What are they offering?

The chance (if they happen to need you that day, and you better be available everyday just in case they do) to make $6.35 per hour (depending upon results of test and interview), which is almost a dollar less than the Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.
They'll likely find someone very qualified in India to do that exact job.

It could be difficult to find someone in the USA who would take a job like that and have the qualifications and abilities even for $16.35 an hour.

Where I live, English speaking is so limited that many physicians are having transcription work done in India - not for the lower costs but for the better spelling and grammar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment