Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 04:56 AM

4 posts, read 6,384 times

Advertisements

I was recently fired from my job, in which I was only employed for about a month and a half. I'm in automotive sales, and it's no secret that this time of year it's relatively slow for our industry. Prior to my most recent employer I had worked at another dealership for 5 months. I left because of a better pay plan. Once sales really slowed down I started to worry. Seems my fears manifested itself.

Now, I'm wondering... since I voluntarily left my previous employer and got fired from the one I only worked 6 weeks for - do I qualify for unemployment? And, if so... what would my benefits be based on? Obviously, a bulk of my income was made with the dealership I left.

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to call the unemployment office later today. I'm just hoping someone can give me some insight into what I can/can't realistically expect with my situation. Thank you very much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 10:41 AM

935 posts, read 2,411,059 times
Did you pay taxes last year? I know they judge your eligibility for unemployment based on a certain tax frame. For example, I worked 5 months full-time before layoffs and I was told I did not qualify because even though I did file my taxes for 2008-2009, they went by 2007-2008 and that was while I was working a non-taxed job at college. The college was work-intensive and banned students from working outside of the campus (except during the summer).

However, they did mention that I could use an alternative date format (?) and I might have qualified that way. However, I had to call the main state branch and their phone system was messed up. I'm betting they did it on purpose, but I have no proof of it other than the recording that said, "If you want to talk to a representative please press BEEP, If you want to talk to a representative please press BEEP, If you want..." You get the picture.

So, go to your local branch and ask them. I know you're supposed to file if you were laid off or fired from your last job. However, I don't know if the previous quit would work against you. I doubt it, but I'm not sure about your region.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:26 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
It has nothing to do with taxes of the ex-employee. EmployERs pay into an unemployment insurance fund, which covers ex-employees' unemployment payments if they're eligible. It does matter if the employER is a tax-exempt employer - such as a church, or certain non-profs (not all).

I worked for a synagogue, and they didn't pay into unemployment insurance because they're a religious organization. But I still had taxes taken out of my paycheck. I was ineligible for unemployment though because the employer wasn't required to pay the insurance fees.

Different states have different criteria. If you had 1000 hours of work in the last 18 months, in Connecticut, you would be eligible to file - and eligibility would be determined by a hearing to show that you weren't fired for cause at your most recent job.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:29 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
eligibility where I'm from-----------your wages are assigned to the --quarter--of the year you earned those wages.

The quarter you are in when you file does not count.
The previous quarter does not count.

The next previous 4 quarters does count and determines what your checks will be.

Many times holding off til the next quarter to file can make a huge difference on your amount you will recieve.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 AM

4 posts, read 6,384 times
Default Very interesting.

Thanks for everyone's reply. Didn't know about the last digit of your ssn being the basis of when to call unemployment division's number.

Appreciate that input very much Marmac. Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of waiting for next quarter. Basing on income from the last two quarters that would make quite a difference for me. At this juncture, those are both moot points. My main concern, aside from job hunting, is - base on my circumstances (leaving my previous company for another, who I was subsequently let go by) I'm not even sure if I qualify for unemployment.

Again, thanks to everyone for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment