Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:48 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,141 times

Advertisements

Since the recession began, have you experienced downward mobility, if you've lost your job? Did you consider yourself middle-class while you were working, but have now lost your middle-class status? Are you getting poorer and more desperate, if you've been out of work for more than six months? Do you think that downward mobility, is the new normal in America, or just a temporary trend, associated with the current recession?

Old 11-14-2010, 10:13 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,762 times
I think of upward mobility as someone's potential for advancement or improvement. I hope no one extends themselves so much or becomes so emotionally attached to their lifestyle that they're unwilling to be "downwardly" mobile when circumstances require it.

To answer your question, I hope moving in one direction or the other is never permanent.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:26 AM

964 posts, read 2,648,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Since the recession began, have you experienced downward mobility, if you've lost your job? Did you consider yourself middle-class while you were working, but have now lost your middle-class status? Are you getting poorer and more desperate, if you've been out of work for more than six months? Do you think that downward mobility, is the new normal in America, or just a temporary trend, associated with the current recession?
About the same, for me.

• The recession began around December 2007; the S&P500 is trading now about the same as it was then (low 1200s).
  • Interest rates are lower, my loan then was around 5.5% fixed 15 years, now it is 3.675% fixed 15 years.
  • Unemployment is higher (9.6% now, 5% then which translates to about seven million more people unemployed) but since I haven't been unemployed, the situation is the same.

Also, the recession has helped me as a consumer of goods and services. Business is tight (demand is low) which has driven prices down. I've had some remodeling work done on my house. Construction industry is in horrible shape so I've been able to leverage that to get very low bids on both remodeling and landscaping.

Google labs - public data

Last edited by proudmommy; 11-14-2010 at 10:35 AM..

Old 11-14-2010, 10:33 AM

677 posts, read 934,287 times
Well...........in life nothing stays the same, the stock market reaches all time highes then crashes to all time lows. We experience happiness in life as well as heartbreaks. So yes, downward mobility is the new norm, but that is for right now. How long will it last? God only knows so brace yourselves, could be many more months, then again worse case scenario it could be years. We have no choice but to go thru it come what may. "It was the best of times, yet the worse of times" -Charles Dickens.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
the stock market reaches all time highes then crashes to all time lows.
No. It reaches all time highs and crashes to lows, but not all time lows.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
How long will it last? God only knows so brace yourselves, could be many more months, then
Imaginary beings probably don't have anything to do with it. Some people think so, but they're like boats without a rudder.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:42 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
No. It reaches all time highs and crashes to lows, but not all time lows.
Thank God you were here to save us!

Quote:
Imaginary beings probably don't have anything to do with it. Some people think so, but they're like boats without a rudder.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:50 AM

677 posts, read 934,287 times
Quote:

Just as you can't see air or the force of gravity yet it exist so does God to me as well as millions of others. So your atheist view is your opinion only. He has seem me thru all types of adversities, I may have stumbled & tripped but He never allowed me to fall.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Just as you can't see air or the force of gravity yet it exist so does God to me as well as millions of others. So your atheist view is your opinion only. He has seem me thru all types of adversities, I may have stumbled & tripped but He never allowed me to fall.

Yes or No: Are you opening minded?
Yes or No: Is it possible god doesn't exist?

Old 11-14-2010, 01:55 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,908 times
Who votes that we get back on topic about downward mobility being the new normal? Personally, I hope it's not the new normal or else I feel cheated by every single adult who has told me that America is the land of opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment