Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:34 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times

Advertisements

One thing I've learned is that even when a person manages to get into their ideal field, it's doesn't necessarily align with the romantic version (grass greener on the other side type of thing). With that said, I've always had an interest in forestry as well. I have no intention of return to school for it, but I am looking into one day buying a camp ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 07:04 AM

42 posts, read 136,024 times
I would find a side job or even volunteer in the field you're interested in. You can start building some experience and contacts, without risking your tried and true source of income. Just make sure you really know what the new field is about. Wildlife research might sound interesting, but reality might involve more drudgery (ie desk work) than you'd expect.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:43 AM

398 posts, read 698,662 times
As someone also interested in this field (and working a job they hate), I sympathize. I can also recommend you do something like what I'm going to start doing this new year. I work in the government contracts department of a non-profit organization in a big city, and my goal is to find something eventually in horticulture. That said, I have no background in horticulture. So what I'm about to do is start taking certificate training at the local botanical garden. If you can afford it, work part-time and study part-time. Do an internship. Make connections, meet the right people, be flexible and move if you have to. Get your whole family in on it (this makes everything easier!)

It was pretty depressing reading the first half of this board, so I hope you continue to read as more optimistic people respond to your inquiry. 20yrsinBranson said it best - if you know you can do it, then you will do it. Most of us flutter around in crazy jobs in crazier areas because we have no idea what we want in life. If you are one of the few who actually knows, you are already there in a way. Hope this was helpful.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:33 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
I can soooo relate to this. I don't share your poor family background and can only say I went to college to get my MRS. degree. I got it but made a bad marriage choice to an alcoholic so I wound up working very hard to build a self-sustaining career. Did that and made great money. Did the whole divorce, single mom, remarriage, etc, etc. All the time managing my corporate career in a field that I had/have no passion for. My passion during that time just had to be keeping my life afloat and stable and my career was that anchor. Cannot express how the long hours and additional coursework needed to stay in the game bored me. But, today while I have left the corporate world, I am still able to take on consulting assignments that do a great job supplementing my real passions (dog rescue, real estate investment, family & travel). I do regret on some levels that I didn't go into real estate right out of college but you just can't look back. I am forever grateful and happy that I was able to make "mucho dinero" giving me and my family a good lifestyle. And, along the way I did do good work and I did make corporate life better for many employees and I did/do help management make sense of chaotic situations. Its a midlife crisis thing when you realize all the missed opportunities. And, at midlife you have choices. Stay in the trap of regretfulness and bitterness. Or, go forward with new respect for the things you did and assess your personal skills "toolbox" and realize all that's in there and all the additional things you will get to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment