Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When will we be out of this recession?!
0-6 months 3 3.37%
1-3 years 19 21.35%
3-5 years 17 19.10%
5-10 years 15 16.85%
Never. 10% UE is the new normal, just like Europe. 35 39.33%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:23 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times

Advertisements

I don't know why the OP felt the need to mention Europe at all in that poll but 10% unemployment is not normal here. Most countries don't even have that now.
Economy of the European Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 01:36 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I don't know why the OP felt the need to mention Europe at all in that poll but 10% unemployment is not normal here. Most countries don't even have that now.
Economy of the European Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I used to live in England and last I heard unemployment was below 8%. Yes, I know some places like Ireland and Spain are having a rough time, but I didn't think most European countries faced 10% unemployment. Heck, I know some young Americans are planning on leaving the U.S. and living overseas in order to find employment.

However, maybe he got it from this: VOA | Eurozone Unemployment Hits 10 Percent | Europe | English

Old 11-18-2010, 01:39 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I know some young Americans are planning on leaving the U.S. and living overseas in order to find employment.
That's probably part of it. The other part is to see the world. You're only young once and if you can pull it off, why not.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:43 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That's probably part of it. The other part is to see the world. You're only young once and if you can pull it off, why not.
I agree, some are going because they want to explore as well. That's what I did in college. I met a nice family in England and I told them I would go visit them after graduation, but I'm only working part-time right now, so hopefully when I find a full-time job I can save enough money to visit them again.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:35 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I really don't think we ever really have or have had accurate unemployment
statistics in this country.

I don't trust them now, nor have I ever trusted them in the past.

And it would be even more depressing to add in the underemployment numbers.

Voting accomplishes little, as well-proven. Protesting accomplishes a bit more: at the end of the day, with all that walking/marching and screaming your lungs out, at least you'll get a good night's sleep!

Old 11-20-2010, 11:47 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,721 times
I tend to agree with both of KevK's posts -

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
...growth is going to be slow for quite a long time- many years- because we are simply out of bubbles to prop up the economy. Housing cannot be key to all things anymore. I do not think 10% UE is a new norm but I would say it probably will not go below 6% for a long time if ever. And even if you do find work, you are going to see much lower pay and fewer benefits. This country is in a downward spiral into a new economic age called "reality" and reality dictates that, if the rich can get somebody in China to do it for $2 an hour and it cost them another $2 to ship it here and sell it for $60, they are not going to pay you $10 an hour to make it here.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I thought BHO would be like FDR but this far he has turned out to be more like JEC. But it does not really matter anyway. He does not control the economy. It is a global playground now and a US President cannot really excessive much control over it. It is a big monster now that nobody can control no matter how much they might want to. It is going to do what it wants and chew up and spit out that which cannot fit in and that includes Americans. Our lifestyles cannot even begin to compete with those of China, India and Malaysia. The global economy is seeking equilibrium and in doing so, it will bring us down a lot while lifting them a little. All things eventually find equilibrium.
Also, I hope this poster is still around, because I'd like to know what you mean by a "living standard like the UK." I don't know much about the UK or what life there is like, so I'm curious about what you're getting at --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
First, it's not a recession, it's a depression. Last, it's not going away. I know no one wants to hear that, but it's reality. Our future is higher prices, higher taxes, lower wages, lower standard of living. United Kingdom living standard, if we're lucky.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:12 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,918 times
I voted 10 years or so but in reality I think it will be 15 years or so. Things will change when the baby boomers start dying off and alot of their influence goes under. When you have a very large segment of the population retiring now, and being complacent their last years in the workforce, and start drawing more out of the government than they are putting in, you got issues.. In about 15 years, we will start losing them and we will learn how to adjust and I am hoping by then, we are smarter about our handling of economics..

For example, the baby boomer generation with its large numbers is helping keep the housing market really low and will quite a while. We will have many who retire and will move out of larger houses and will downsize, and others who will die. That will leave an abundance of houses and buildings in our market for many years..

I am hoping my generation (Generation Y) learns from this and realizes giving free handouts to corporations for economic growth does not benefit anyone. We now let and practically encourage companies to move to certain cities and states by giving them incentives with no taxes.. Then after they do this for a few years, these states have major financial issues, and those companies leave and go to another state, Process repeats and see California for an example, and now Florida, and soon to be Texas..

We also need to realize bailing out billionaires with our own taxpayer money is bad and will only grow put a band aid on the problem we started by all this. If Bush in 2008 had just let the economy tank, yes, he might have been looked at as a terrible president (many will say he is anyways) but in reality, we'd probably fix our broken system and start over if it completely tanked..Obama was voted in to fix the economy too and only knows how to do it with band aid approaches too.. I'm about ready for the completely tank idea and to start over while I'm relatively young

Old 11-21-2010, 11:29 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
KevK nailed it, we are in the midst of a slow steady climb up.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:57 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I think that this is the tip of he ice berg, and we are the Titanic. This is just the beginning.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:08 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
America is broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment