Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I live in NYC and have seen this. If you're not religious, why would you want to work for a religious organization anyway?
I work on and off with a few local churches playing the 'organ' (glorified electric piano...) during their contemporary services. They pay me money, I move on. They are very familiar with the fact that I'm an Atheist but for the most part they don't care. They didn't hire me for my belief, they hired me for the way I play the piano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 10:33 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
It all depends on what type of organization or business it is, and who pays for their funding. A private religious school, for example, has every right to require staff to follow certain beliefs... a public school or government-funded organization does NOT. I mentioned this once before, but recently I was reading a job posting for a librarian at a (private) Christian college - required application materials included a "testimonial to your belief in Christ." As a semi-lapsed Jewish woman, I obviously had to pass on applying for that one.

On the other hand, there are also jobs AT religious-based organizations that don't require any particular faith... I guarantee you don't have to be Jewish to cashier or lifeguard at a JCC, but it might help if they're looking for a religious day-school instructor. As long as there's a logical reason, I don't mind certain jobs looking for people of certain religions.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I live in NYC and have seen this. If you're not religious, why would you want to work for a religious organization anyway?
Hey - it's a paycheck, like any other! And as I just wrote above, there are many non-religious positions at religious organizations. I've actually worked for the YMCA (in an education/rec position), and they never even asked about my religion. I will admit, though, it came up more than once during our winter retreat... not in a negative way, just felt a bit uncomfortable whenever Jesus came up during our "bonding activities."

Old 11-18-2010, 12:33 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,762 times
I can see why some work places discriminate based on religion. Yes, it is highly illegal, but as someone else mentioned it is pretty difficult to prove it. At the same time, religion should not matter unless it's something like clergy. I know an Agnostic who works for Christian media and he does a great job at what he does. They never ask him about his religion and not being a Christian does not cause him to work less harder to make the channel run smoothly.

Then, there are some employers who take it way too far. Like the story of a Wiccan who got fired from Bath and Bodyworks. She was approved for time off to celebrate Samhain (or Halloween) when the company brought in a new boss. The new boss told her, “Well, you will need a new career in your new year. … I will be damned if I have a devil-worshipper on my team.” The girl worked there for six years and was fired because of this! It's not like her being Wiccan made her a less efficient worker than a Christian.

I know some Christians who face discrimination as well b/c some employers do not want to hire people who request Sunday's off. My sister had to change her application to say she would work all days in order to get the job. Later on, they actually allowed her to have Sundays off. However, I think discriminating against religion--with a few exceptions such as clergy--is utterly ridiculous. What should matter is the person and their skills, not who they pray/don't pray to at night.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:47 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
What I find interesting though, is that if a company said they wouldn't hire Christians, people would freak out and yell discrimination.

Why doesn't it work both ways?

How many blacks and whites do you see working in a Chinese resturaunt?

Old 11-18-2010, 12:51 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Bona fide occupational qualifications

In employment law, a bona fide occupational qualification (BFOQ) (US) or bona fide occupational requirement (BFOR) (Canada) is a quality or an attribute that employers are allowed to consider when making decisions on the hiring and retention of employees – qualities that when considered in other contexts would constitute Discrimination and thus in violation of civil rights employment law. Such qualifications must be listed in the employment offering.

Bona fide occupational qualifications generally only apply to occupations where the BFOQ is considered necessary to that profession. For example a Catholic college may lawfully require such positions as president, chaplain, and teaching faculty to be Catholics but membership in the Catholic Church would generally not be considered a BFOQ for occupations such as secretarial and janitorial positions.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Plenty where I live. My fav sushi restaurant has a black sushi chef who makes INCREDIBLE Lobster crunch rolls.

The Chinese buffet in the next town over has a few white, black and everything in between working there.

Maybe it's just where you live.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:14 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
But conservative Christians cause problems if someone at work happens to be gay. Christians are famous for their "witch hunts" or "get em' boys" mentality.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:50 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It all depends on what type of organization or business it is, and who pays for their funding. A private religious school, for example, has every right to require staff to follow certain beliefs... a public school or government-funded organization does NOT. I mentioned this once before, but recently I was reading a job posting for a librarian at a (private) Christian college - required application materials included a "testimonial to your belief in Christ." As a semi-lapsed Jewish woman, I obviously had to pass on applying for that one.

On the other hand, there are also jobs AT religious-based organizations that don't require any particular faith... I guarantee you don't have to be Jewish to cashier or lifeguard at a JCC, but it might help if they're looking for a religious day-school instructor. As long as there's a logical reason, I don't mind certain jobs looking for people of certain religions.
Exactly ... I feel that it is reasonable for an employer to expect their employees to agree with their mission statement. How can they further their cause if they have a staff full of people who do not believe in the cause?

Old 11-19-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Tons, depending on the neighborhood/city. We actually see more Hispanics working in Chinese restaurants around here... they also work in Indian, Thai, Italian, and Middle-Eastern restaurants. Imagine that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment