Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:00 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
I'm not saying that all unemployed people are in thier situation simply because they refuse to commute a long distance but the OP of THIS thread sure did make it seem like that was their plight.

Did you see my post #12 on page 2? I said we get work where we can get it. Honestly, I personally don't mind driving. We do what we have to do, like it or not.

Plus, it's true what TKramar said about how gas costs $ & if the job's too far, it may not be worth it depending on how little the job pays because you're not getting ahead & on top of that, you're putting wear & tear on your car, which leads to repairs sooner.

Originally Posted by TKramar
If it's an hour away, how are you going to be able to afford to get there and back? Gas costs money. Longer trips burn gas. And you're unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 04:32 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Exclamation Good example...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Bikes are great for commuting
if you have a shower at work and
there's safe route and
it isn't too hot and
it isn't too cold and
you don't live ten or less miles from work and
it isn't raining and
you don't have to run errands after work and
it isn't windy and
you don't have an extra hour each way to dedicate to commuting.
So, bikes are great for maybe 2% of the population - which is about how many people currently commute by bike.
Your reply reminded me of a friend I had once, in Oregon in the mid 70's. She was divorced, a single mother, I think about 29 y/o. Her daughter was 18 months old. My friend was taking Dental Assistant courses at a CC that was 17 miles from her home. She was determined...each morning...rain, wind, heat, even snow...I kid you not...she would bundle her little one up and load her in the back seat of her bicycle, remember the metal flimsy open seats that only had a seatbelt... and peddle to school, where they had a day-care center. After school she would peddle 'em both home. 5 days a week for nine monthes she did this. Graduated w/honors and made a success of what she called her 'crappy life'. I suppose stories like hers make me somewhat cynical of people who don't try and who use excuses when there are ways to over-come all of them if you truly want to.
Koale

Old 12-05-2010, 01:47 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
I suppose stories like hers make me somewhat cynical of people who don't try and who use excuses when there are ways to over-come all of them if you truly want to.
Koale
Wow, now that's determination!! Personally, I think anyone who's brave enough & strong enough to ride a bike here in San Francisco deserves a medal... my ex-roommate used to ride his to work every day (about 5 miles each way), and seriously almost got killed on a daily basis. Between the CRAZY hills, constantly cold weather, lack of bike lanes, heavy traffic, and extremely obnoxious drivers - let's just say there's a reason our bike messengers are world famous, and why it's known as the most dangerous local job.

I don't even own a bike, since my screwed-up knees can't tolerate that motion... haven't ridden one since probably age 19-20, and to be honest I miss it. Maybe one day I'll try again with knee braces, but definitely not on these SF hills!

Old 12-05-2010, 07:33 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
This is one of the things that I feel got me laid off from my last job...
When I started with the company in 2004 I was driving 1.25 miles each way to work. It was great..
I got promoted to Kitchen Manager and was driving localy store to store about 18 miles per day.. Still awesome..
A few years later they sent me to a few stores over 60 miles away..each way, under the guise of Training people and covering Vacations..
120 miles a day..@ well over 3.00 a gallon of gas at the time.. Not so great anymore.
Bear in mind my workday started at 4:30am untill 3 pm or untill everything was done..
The owner was "nice" enough to give me a 25.00 dollar a week gas allowance and it was costing me about 140 when driving that distance..
If I wanted a job 60 miles away from my home I would have applied for a job 60 miles away from home.. That was my logic.
They wanted me to stay there for a few more months..I objected to it, and now I'm where I am..Unemployed.
When I factor in at least 2 hours a day driving time..Plus the extra cost of gas, It just didnt work out.
I would have kept my mouth shut if I knew i'd be unemployed for over a year..

Old 12-05-2010, 07:45 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I walk about an hour each way to work. I occasionally take a bus, but it's a 20 minute walk to the bus that goes to my workplace and the bus gets to work at 8:15 (I start at 9) and leaves at 6PM (my day is over at 5). So really, unless it's snowing or raining, it makes more sense to walk. 2 1/2 miles is about as far as I can do- particularly with it freezing cold 4 months and hot and humid 2 months out of the year.

A bike would require me to get over my fear of riding in the street. Its illegal for people to ride on the sidewalks here (though people still do it which freaks me out when they whip up behind me as I walk).

Not everyone can afford a car and driving long distances cost a LOT of money. I have friends who live 5 miles away here in the Boston metro and it takes them 45 minutes to get to work- even commuting out of the city.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:28 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Some good stories here. People can do a lot when they are determined.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:36 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Your reply reminded me of a friend I had once, in Oregon in the mid 70's. She was divorced, a single mother, I think about 29 y/o. Her daughter was 18 months old. My friend was taking Dental Assistant courses at a CC that was 17 miles from her home. She was determined...each morning...rain, wind, heat, even snow...I kid you not...she would bundle her little one up and load her in the back seat of her bicycle, remember the metal flimsy open seats that only had a seatbelt... and peddle to school, where they had a day-care center. After school she would peddle 'em both home. 5 days a week for nine monthes she did this. Graduated w/honors and made a success of what she called her 'crappy life'. I suppose stories like hers make me somewhat cynical of people who don't try and who use excuses when there are ways to over-come all of them if you truly want to.
Koale
What dedication! Yes, if people really want or need to do something, they'll do it. Plus, having a child that you have to take care of alone can change how you live your life as well...if you care about your child at all & want them to have a good life.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:03 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
The woman riding her bike to work story is very commendable and admirable. However where I live everyplace that you need to go is via highway only and bicycles, horses, and pedestrians are not allowed.

The job has to pay enough to make the commute worth it plain and simple. Would I drive the turnpike 100 miles a day for minimum wage – absolutely not.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:18 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
The job has to pay enough to make the commute worth it plain and simple. Would I drive the turnpike 100 miles a day for minimum wage – absolutely not.
that's pretty much what it comes down to.

personally, i hate commuting in general, and the longer it takes & the more congested it is - the more i hate it. which is why i specifically located a place to live that's 5 miles/ 8 minutes from work, on a rural road, which is obviously unusual in the DC area. i could have found a cheaper place further away, but to me, putting up with daily traffic jams is just not worth it.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:57 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I am fortunate (or clever?) to live 20 miles from my job. It's highway, no traffic, due to my hours. I do remember a couple of guys who rode bikes all year long- one several miles, one17 miles in bad traffic. The first guy lost his license from DUI, the second could only afford one car for wife and kids.
I really didn't want to move out of the city for the reason that I was some five miles from work and mechanic, could take a bus, get a ride, etc. I didn't want to be so car-dependent, but I also didn't want to live in the city anymore.
I rode a bike a lot for every purpose in the city. Got three stolen (with major locks on- dismantle the bike/have co-workers conspire to steal from the bike room) and had the fourth hit by a motorcycle with me on it *on the bike path*. There is no way to ride a bike the 20 miles to my job at 11 at night. Period.
I do think there can be some smugness among those who don't drive a car to work. A young friend of mine was very snotty about his superiority (although his boyfriend had a car that they and he could use for whatever). He just got a great job two miles from his house.
He bought a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment