Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 06:06 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,637 times

Advertisements

My totally frustrated and depressed middle-aged friend who has fruitlessly searched for an executive assistant-type job during the two years since she was laid off, recently informed me she has a new strategy to "employ" her two degrees and extensive experience.

As much as she admits she hates politics, she's going to educate herself about the issues in her state (Oregon) and make time to volunteer for the senator or representative whose policy positions most resonate with her. She figures she will then become a "known quantity" in her abilities to contribute and strategize, as a lead-in to the upcoming 2012 political season campaigns. (Yes, she has the funds to stay afloat until then because she and her sister are sharing living expenses.)

She sent me a Campaign Worker Job Description that included this paragraph:

If working on a larger scale, there may be positions available as campaign workers when elections are nearing. Gaining political experience can help an individual get hired as a campaign worker. Fund-raising or public relations experience helps prepare an individual for elections and related campaign work.

Campaign Worker Job Description, Career as a Campaign Worker, Salary, Employment - Definition and Nature of the Work, Education and Training Requirements, Getting the Job

So how feasible do you think this goal is? Anyone out there tried this approach to get a job? Do you think my friend has a chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 06:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Of course she has a chance. Don't be a scrooge and rain on her parade when she's trying to do something to better her situation. You are right in assuming that volunteering doesn't necessarily guarantee that she will land a paid gig with that campaign or with any campaign. That is true with any kind of volunteer work. But I can't see how it would hurt her. She has nothing to lose by trying.

Not sure what her political leanings are, but she might be interested in Emily's List. It is an organization that helps match workers up with available campaign jobs (both paid and volunteer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment