Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 01:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
All this time, I assumed you were applying to those companies. This is even less of an issue then.

Still, I do think spelling and grammar are important and the resume and cover letter need to be immaculate. But Avienne's point may be correct, that many people nowadays get hired in spite of this. I do think proper writing has deteriorated over the years, so bad spellers are much more common.
Well, I point to part of this being the Net. We are in forums and used to seeing bad spelling and grammar and before you know it we start doing the same. And most of us don't read books anymore so we don't read proper spelling and grammar on a regular basis. And part of it is advancing age in my case and I've been told I have ADD. I used to win spelling bees. And part of it is just being so familiar with something and having seen it spelled so many ways (eBay and PayPal) that I didn't give it a second thought.

And, no, I mean it when I say paralyzed. You all make it look so easy, yet it's anything but for me. It's almost a phobia reaction I have. As long as I don't apply, I can't get rejected. As long as I don't get rejected, my fears aren't confirmed and I don't experience how really bad this job market has become. And on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 01:14 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Had you spelled it Peypal or Rbay it would be a problem. The caps--no biggie.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Had you spelled it Peypal or Rbay it would be a problem. The caps--no biggie.
LOL, thanks.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:44 PM

536 posts, read 1,429,955 times
OK Miss Spelling Bee, let me test you: how do you spell arachnophobia? Damn, it doesn't work in writing. I should do it phonetic. OK araknofobia. Too late, never mind!

Aside, I find it ironic that the word dyslexia is so hard to spell.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
OK Miss Spelling Bee, let me test you: how do you spell arachnophobia? Damn, it doesn't work in writing. I should do it phonetic. OK araknofobia. Too late, never mind!

Aside, I find it ironic that the word dyslexia is so hard to spell.
Ok, let me try. Do you know how to spell (without looking it up!) ambadexterous?

Old 01-07-2011, 02:55 PM

536 posts, read 1,429,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Ok, let me try. Do you know how to spell (without looking it up!) ambadexterous?
ambidextrous. Tricky because you think dexterity, so you might put the extra 'e'. I knew it was ambi though, because of ambivalent and words like that. Also, I think it's a Greek root, from which amphi is derived as well I think, like amphibian.

So when do you find out about these jobs you applied to?

Old 01-07-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
ambidextrous. Tricky because you think dexterity, so you might put the extra 'e'. I knew it was ambi though, because of ambivalent and words like that. Also, I think it's a Greek root, from which amphi is derived as well I think, like amphibian.

So when do you find out about these jobs you applied to?
Who knows? If ever?

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Old 01-07-2011, 03:34 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
All this time, I assumed you were applying to those companies. This is even less of an issue then.

Still, I do think spelling and grammar are important and the resume and cover letter need to be immaculate. But Avienne's point may be correct, that many people nowadays get hired in spite of this. I do think proper writing has deteriorated over the years, so bad spellers are much more common.
You know what's really scary? HR people and hiring managers who argue with you about grammar and usage so that you have to pull out a dictionary or editorial style guide and show them the error of their ways.

How can I say this without sounding like too much of a snob? Although grammar and spelling are extremely important, a lot of people are too illiterate to notice mistakes in the first place. A quick look at Craigslist will illustrate the point. I've seen botched position listings on Monster, CareerBuilder, LinkedIn, and even trade-specific boards, though. It's ridiculous.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
I don't think I would even notice that.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:47 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Don't feel bad. I once signed a cover letter with Thursday above the typed real name and my last name. I still got the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment