Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 03:48 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times

Advertisements

Assuming you don't deal with any clients, is an extremely unemotional personality a bad thing when working with others and/or when dealing with praise or criticism (assume this is a technical field.)? Assume you're naturally a very unemotional person, not someone acting this way on purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 03:51 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
No. The workplace is no place for emotions, you're there to simply do a job.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:53 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Assuming you don't deal with any clients, is an extremely unemotional personality a bad thing when working with others and/or when dealing with praise or criticism (assume this is a technical field.)? Assume you're naturally a very unemotional person, not someone acting this way on purpose.
What exactly do you mean, though?
Are you talking about the person who overreacts to EVERYTHING? As in good and bad? As in ANGRY and TEARS OF SADNESS?

Then yes.
In a social setting, no one will want to be around that person because they might be offended by the slightest and dumbest thing. I've worked with someone like that. After a few times of "offending" her, I just stopped talking to her.. and then it offended her because I didn't want anything to do with her.

If you're talking about yourself, how much of a nut are you? It's really hard and exhausting to deal with people like that, because then we're forced to walk on eggshells because of them.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
What exactly do you mean, though?
Are you talking about the person who overreacts to EVERYTHING? As in good and bad? As in ANGRY and TEARS OF SADNESS?

Then yes.
In a social setting, no one will want to be around that person because they might be offended by the slightest and dumbest thing. I've worked with someone like that. After a few times of "offending" her, I just stopped talking to her.. and then it offended her because I didn't want anything to do with her.

If you're talking about yourself, how much of a nut are you? It's really hard and exhausting to deal with people like that, because then we're forced to walk on eggshells because of them.
No, I'm talking about the exact opposite of that.. the person who naturally doesn't show any emotion while everyone else is either completely exuberant or in tears.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:59 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,815 times
Quote:
No, I'm talking about the exact opposite of that.. the person who naturally doesn't show any emotion while everyone else is either completely exuberant or in tears.
Oh, I'm like that.. lmao!
Some people are actually offended by it .. but, what can you do? You should feel whatever it is you feel. It IS easier for people to deal with people like us rather then what I thought you meant.

At my last job, my supervisor died of a stroke. I liked him, but I wasn't bawling on the floor like the rest of the overdramatic bunch. So, of course, I was frowned up because I didn't cry with the rest of them. I did care, I just wasn't that sad.

It can be benefical, too. Sometimes people DO try and push your buttons and you are like "lol whatever". I am able to handle a bad review, because I slightly don't really care.

It IS fun!
<3 being a sociopath

Old 05-03-2011, 04:31 PM

18,715 posts, read 33,372,489 times
I work in a psychiatric hospital. Believe me, I can't stand co-workers who are histrionic or enraged or whatever. I think a stoic stiff upper lip goes a long way.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:48 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
I've worked with a lot of stoic/engineer/Spock types (and was married to one!) and don't see why it would be a problem in the work place. As others have stated....probably the opposite - not a problem. Better than drama and histrionics for sure. I have someone working for me right now who is very task-oriented and serious; I love it because I can offer what I hope is constructive criticism or direction and know that I won't hurt his feelings...he'll just jump right in, or will calmly offer an opposing opinion. Either way it will work out without drama. I hate unecessary drama.

I do wonder why you're asking, though. Maybe it's just my personal bias/experience, but "overly unemotional" can = passive-aggressive; not a happy workplace (or home) trait.

Why are you asking? (Curious, now!)

Old 05-03-2011, 04:57 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,682,176 times
Unemotional as in robot = bad thing unless you work with other robots, not humans
Controlled but appropriately happy at celebrations = what we should all strive for

Old 05-03-2011, 05:04 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,025 times
Quote:
Work place is for busuiness, unless your a counselor emotion doesn't have much of a place in the workplace.

Also, you say assuming your a naturally emotional person. Why else would someone be emotional they would put on an act?

Regardless of your personality you should be logical and professional not emotional.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I've worked with a lot of stoic/engineer/Spock types (and was married to one!) and don't see why it would be a problem in the work place. As others have stated....probably the opposite - not a problem. Better than drama and histrionics for sure. I have someone working for me right now who is very task-oriented and serious; I love it because I can offer what I hope is constructive criticism or direction and know that I won't hurt his feelings...he'll just jump right in, or will calmly offer an opposing opinion. Either way it will work out without drama. I hate unecessary drama.

I do wonder why you're asking, though. Maybe it's just my personal bias/experience, but "overly unemotional" can = passive-aggressive; not a happy workplace (or home) trait.

Why are you asking? (Curious, now!)
I'm the type of person who is very unemotional at work particularly in response to praise or criticism. For example, you could give me the most glorified praise or the most condescending criticism and the only natural response I can come up is "Ok, I understand."

(Picture someone like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, minus the self-righteousness and the talkativeness and you'll have good sense of the type of person I'm talking about.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment