Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 07:42 AM

400 posts, read 761,220 times

Advertisements

I thought this would be nice to share, without someone digging through the other threads. This was in my districts teachers contract.

Let me just say that If I opt out ofmy health insurance, I just dont have to pay the exhorbitant amount that comes along with it... In this case you get paid for not having health insurance!!!!
"4. Any teacher who declines either individual or family health insurance coverage for a
minimum of one year will receive, for each year declined, one-quarter (1 /4) of the savings to the District
up to a maximum of seven hundred and fifty dollars ($750.00) for the individual plan and fifteen
hundred dollars ($1,500.00) for the family plan, whichever is greater. An employee must participate in
the District’s family health insurance coverage for a minimum of twelve (12) months before that
employee is entitled to payment for opting out of family health insurance coverage. An employee must
have had family health insurance for one (1) year before he or she may waive it in order to become
eligible for $1,500 payment. This money will be paid in the first paycheck in October of the year
following the one in which the insurance was declined."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 08:30 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,473 times
did you ever think that their salaries are already factoring in insurance payments, and if they opt-out of the program then they just get that money back?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:56 AM

168 posts, read 314,466 times
I have had that option at quite a few airlines both union and non union throughout my career. Nothing unique to teachers. I've also had jobs that "cut your pay" if you went full time and recieved health benefits. Alot of contracting jobs also offer higher wages than the employees get due to not offering health benefits.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:37 AM

116 posts, read 365,996 times
I know the current climate is looking for any reason to paint teachers as "greedy, lazy, overpaid, etc.", but this practice actually saves the school districts a lot of money. If teachers opt-out, and go under their spouses insurance, the district saves a lot of money by having to pay a lot less for benefits.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:44 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
I know the current climate is looking for any reason to paint teachers as "greedy, lazy, overpaid, etc.", but this practice actually saves the school districts a lot of money. If teachers opt-out, and go under their spouses insurance, the district saves a lot of money by having to pay a lot less for benefits.
The districts can save more money by not giving teachers any cash back for not using the health insurance (like 99% of the workplaces in America) and by charging teachers MUCH MORE than they presently do if they put their spouse and families under the district health insurance. That would discourage use right there and discourage it a lot more than cash payments.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
did you ever think that their salaries are already factoring in insurance payments, and if they opt-out of the program then they just get that money back?
Is that what is going on?

I've never heard of any salaries working that way. Does yours?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacoupe View Post
I have had that option at quite a few airlines both union and non union throughout my career. Nothing unique to teachers. I've also had jobs that "cut your pay" if you went full time and recieved health benefits. Alot of contracting jobs also offer higher wages than the employees get due to not offering health benefits.
You've had that option in the PRESENT DAY or back in the golden years of working for an airline?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:52 AM

116 posts, read 365,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The districts can save more money by not giving teachers any cash back for not using the health insurance (like 99% of the workplaces in America) and by charging teachers MUCH MORE than they presently do if they put their spouse and families under the district health insurance. That would discourage use right there and discourage it a lot more than cash payments.

That's another issue. Under the current system, this practice saves money.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
That's another issue. Under the current system, this practice saves money.
You don't know IF or HOW MUCH money the practice saves, because you don't know SPECIFICALLY why each teacher who does not accept health insurance chooses to do so.

Perhaps their spouses' insurance offers better coverage and they would choose it whether or not they were offered this cash reward.

Actually, if you want to save money, changing the practice to what I suggested saves much more money and it can be quantified.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:24 PM

400 posts, read 761,220 times
These are not consultants, and why in the hell would you ever factor in health insurance into the salary when your providing it as an extra.... If they didnt get health insurance at all, then I would understand that comment. Even so, this is a 1500.00 cash payment..health insurance costs much more than that.. Maybe they should have gotten a 15,000 payment for opting out.. thats more fair.. This is a bribe

And I guess what you mean by this saves the district money is by that offering cash reward for opting out they would not have to pay the premiums for this member, so that saves cash..... Its these dumb policies....

You know I get health insurance through my wifes workplace because I like the program better... I DID NOT RECEIVE a cash payout from my employer.... Am I saving them money.. YES
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment