Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 AM

3 posts, read 6,585 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am sort of stuck on what I should do next in my career. I have been working at a tech company in the accounting department for close to a year. I have a degree in Finance for my undergrad which I graduated from back in May. I want to continue working for a company and not move into public accounting. My ultimate goal is to be a V.P. of Finance or CFO. What sort of career path should I take? One thought is that I continue in corporate accounting and go back for a Macc/MSA and get my CPA. Another thought is that I get my MBA with a focus on Finance or Accounting. Should my next position be within the accounting department or should I try for a financial analyst position down the road? Actually any thoughts at all would be great. Are there anything that I should have on my resume to attract a higher level position. Obviously, I won't go from a year into a company and then be the CFO, but any information on what I need even the kind of experience or certifications that will get me there would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 08:58 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default Need to both think broader and deeper...

In my many years and through several different career moves I have learned that being able to build skills, qualifications and relationships are ALL vitally important to moving up in responsibilities / worth.

I would not rule out earning an advanced degree in Accounting or Finance IF you find that the your APPTITUDES are such that a specialized knowledge of those fields will allow you to impress the kinds of people that will be able to promote you.

I also would say that you need to have a serious talk with folks that have earned MBAs from the kinds of schools you are likely to apply to -- you need to determine how long they worked and what kinds of experiences they had before they went to b school. In my experience th folks that have the best shot at a high level job tend to work in parts of firms that have a very big impact on profitability. Rarely would a sub-area like accounting in a tech firm give you the kind of exposure that is ideal.

I realize that this is not "good news" for your current situation but I am only
telling you this because it means you will need to "try harder" to expand your role / reach.

It absolutely is BETTER to have a job and do good in it than quit. That said you need to plan your next move , internally or with another firm, in a way that increases you liklihood of success.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlombo View Post
Hello everyone, I am sort of stuck on what I should do next in my career. I have been working at a tech company in the accounting department for close to a year. I have a degree in Finance for my undergrad which I graduated from back in May. I want to continue working for a company and not move into public accounting. My ultimate goal is to be a V.P. of Finance or CFO. What sort of career path should I take? One thought is that I continue in corporate accounting and go back for a Macc/MSA and get my CPA. Another thought is that I get my MBA with a focus on Finance or Accounting. Should my next position be within the accounting department or should I try for a financial analyst position down the road? Actually any thoughts at all would be great. Are there anything that I should have on my resume to attract a higher level position. Obviously, I won't go from a year into a company and then be the CFO, but any information on what I need even the kind of experience or certifications that will get me there would be great.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:31 PM

289 posts, read 776,470 times
You should continue working, and go for an advanced degree 4 or 5 years down the road. That way, in addition to an advanced degree, you'll have a few years of experience in your field under your belt (which is something that MANY advanced degree-holders don't have).

Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
I don't want to be a downer and it is always good to have lofty goal, but keep in mind how many people actually make it to the levels you are thinking about. It's almost like pro sports. There are tons of people who want to make it, but in the end very few do. I am not saying this to discourage you, just to keep a realistic perspective.

With that being said, I haven't seen too many CFO's and VP's that didn't have strong background in operations. Consider getting out of the corporate office and in to the actual business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment