Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 03:25 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times

Advertisements

At age 20, with a GED, never worked, it is an enabling Mama... Who encourages the "victim" mentality, and wants her son to continue being dependent, so he will stay home with her, it is a sick, twisted manipulation that he probably does not even realize he is a pawn in being gamed by his Mama, who prefers having a dependent child rather than an independent man. He, no doubt has a cell phone, paid by her, just enough money for incidentals, but not enough to have a GF, he does not even realize it. He won't be encouraged to do anything that will "threaten" her hold on him, to keep him a perpetual child, dependent on her.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:45 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenthelp View Post
They don't call. They don't do anything! I could apply to the same place 1,000 times in person and online and nothing happens. It's silent discrimination. I spend most of my days with my family at get togethers because I have no friends. I'm clean, I dress nice, I'm nice, I'm polite, but that's not enough. Gotta be denied.

You are just looking for stereotypes to use against me. I don't care what wages are, where to work, I don't care about anything. All I want is a job. It's that NOTHING is available.

Your "offer" is waste of time BS volunteering and going in lifelong debt at college with or without aid.

Well I'm 20 years old. With no experience (but willing to be trained) who only has a GED. Everyone has to start somewhere right? But I'm being denied that. Because no one is offering up. There are no options except to work for nothing while everyone else gets to victory. You're telling me I have to volunteer while everyone else is given the jobs I am aiming for with no effort. They put in no effort and they get them. I put in effort and I don't get a job. See the hypocrisy in that scenario? Someones getting screwed over.

Everyone thinks they've had a bad life because their partner left them, or they have to live in their car, or went to college for years and got nothing but debt out of it and decide to blame everyone around them instead of blaming falling for the illusion and the whole "go to college and you're set for life" fantasy, or they lost their car or their friends are jerks to them or they can't find a job in their so called field or they want a 2nd job (which should be illegal, 1 job per person or you get nothing) while a person like myself who never worked, but wants to, has lived a lonely lifestyle for years (at a YOUNG AGE! who grew up in poverty!) that's been fruitless because of the economy and nobody wanting to give me a chance to start off and no options. Sorry but you don't even know what it means to live a bad life. You were born in the 50's and 60's and 70's. When life was easy. When you could be a HS graduate and live carefree. Buy stuff on credit. Work at a carwash and live in an apartment forever. And now you're denying others that because you are selfish and have no caring for anybody and live on lies and illusions. You have a dogmatic and ignorant view of life, where anyone who doesn't do what you do is just a loser who is his own problem. I've talked with many other young people in situations like mine for the past few months. This country and it's so called "working class" of dogma infested adults should bow down to the ground for us for continuing society and the population. But instead you just wanna hold us down like puppy dogs and tell us we're losers who aren't doing anything right. You're the one who isn't doing anything right. All you minimum wage businesses. You're denying someone a life. Someone who will have to live the rest of their life in despair all because YOU wouldn't help out or give options. You think the world is all flowers and roses and whoever doesn't live by it also is a fool. Nope. I don't buy that in a million years. And it's like I said, next time you get a job at the grocery store so you can pay off your 3 cars and mansion, remember who you and your society, government, and bull**** job process game screwed over. You cheated someone out of a life. Who will sleep at night everyday until he dies and have the reality plastered in his mind that his world has crumbled all around him. No ounce of good. No ounce of hope. No ounce of motivation or purpose to continue. Fighting day in and day out trying to go on day by day, with every last ounce of energy and well being left. Those who he thought were once good people, have become nothing but pawns, eating away at the last shred of happiness he had. Dealing day in and day out that just can't find a job. Can't start out in life for independence. No shot. No chance.

Guess I'm asking for too much. A job at a store. Not available for this soul. Decided by the life deniers.
Can you please explain how you know that everyone who has a job didn't volunteer before they were hired? Have you spoken personally to EVERYONE who has a job to ask for their volunteer record or lack of same? Of course, you haven't. You are too busy bemoaning your sad, woebegone state.

I myself have a GED, attained at age 43. Up to that point, I was never without employment of some kind. I have, with my GED, purchased a home, vehicles, insurances, paid taxes, raised five successful sons and watched them marry successful women. Everybody works. And they all started at some sort of volunteer or low-paying job.

I, along with many others, offered you suggestion, and defense, and sympathy for your state. Now, I'm finished with you. And being a resourceful, intelligent group, I hope the rest will be finished as well.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:03 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Silenthelp - did you start this thread to get advice or just to complain? Because if you want to try some new things, change your attitude and improve yourself, there is some great advice on this thread.

On the other hand, if you are just looking for someone to confirm that nothing is your fault? Learn to help yourself, because (and this is something I have learned very quickly after becoming an adult) no one is going to give you anything. If you want something, make it for yourself.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:29 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
He will complain, and continue his victim role, because his Mama has encouraged this, she is sympathetic to his failures, and continues to enable him, because it keeps him in a "quasi-child" status of dependence on her. He continues to have low self esteem, and this will feed on it self, he will feel he is incapable of being independent, and cling more feverishly to his parent who is his only source of support. Poor guy does not even realize the entire pathology...

Old 03-06-2011, 08:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Such disparity between the thread title, "A young guy's cry for help" and the ghastly attitude towards suggestions offered by posters. There are plenty of people out there who have a sense of entitlement where life and living are concerned but this one surely takes the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Now, I'm finished with you. And being a resourceful, intelligent group, I hope the rest will be finished as well.
Amen.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:54 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,214 times
I think people who who don't work when they are teenagers are basically shooting themselves in the foot. People who spend their teen years bull****ting instead of working are putting themselves at a huge disadvantage, especially if they aren't planning on attending college. When it comes down to minimum wage jobs, no one wants to hire someone 18 years or older with NO work experience whatsoever. High school is a great time to start in the job force and acquire some real-life work experience. I'm definitely going to encourage my kids to work throughout high school and college. I've found that having an after school job can make a person more well rounded.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:24 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
I've found that having an after school job can make a person more well rounded.
Agreed - and they learn how to budget, how expensive things are, etc.

Our son has to pay for his own gas, 1/2 of his car insurance, and his cell phone. The fact that he has to help pay for his car insurance makes him really think about his driving, that's for sure (because anything he does that causes his insurance to go up, he'll have to pay for). He also isn't much into all the texting, etc. because he doesn't want to have to pay for it.

Do I think he's lucky because he's been able to work as a teen? I don't know - I think it's more that he's hopped on opportunities when he's heard about them through people we know.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:44 PM

60 posts, read 112,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
I think people who who don't work when they are teenagers are basically shooting themselves in the foot. People who spend their teen years bull****ting instead of working are putting themselves at a huge disadvantage, especially if they aren't planning on attending college. When it comes down to minimum wage jobs, no one wants to hire someone 18 years or older with NO work experience whatsoever.
And that in turn is denying someone a life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Silenthelp - did you start this thread to get advice or just to complain? Because if you want to try some new things, change your attitude and improve yourself, there is some great advice on this thread.

On the other hand, if you are just looking for someone to confirm that nothing is your fault? Learn to help yourself, because (and this is something I have learned very quickly after becoming an adult) no one is going to give you anything. If you want something, make it for yourself.
I'm given hypocritical responses from people who are silver life spooners.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:55 PM

60 posts, read 112,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Good Lord--

No one is denying you a life except yourself.

Until you stop trying to blame everyone and everything around you for why you are unhappy with life then you will never progress or move ahead.

You wear despair, victim-hood like a mantle that pushes people away.

I also don't think you have hit the point where you REALLY want some sort of change or job. If so-- you would not turn down volunteering, you would not turn down the military, job corps, etc.

The military is an incredible option. I had a wandering family member who joined and has earned a masters degree while in the military with zero debt. He LOVES his job and it has given him purpose and pride.
And you deny the toilet economy

You deny that jobs for people like me are being taken by others who aren't supposed to have them

You are like new age people. Blame everything wrong with you on yourself. Not today's ****ed up society in america.

You support wasting trillions of dollars on war

If it was the 50's, I wouldn't be in this dilemma right now. Your baby boomer generation ruined it for Gen Y.

We young adults, we are the ones getting screwed over the hardest. Not you, your 5 cars, your mansion, and your unemployment benefits.

Teen unemployment is 25-30%

Country unemployment is 10% (or so the MSM says)

Old 03-06-2011, 01:17 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenthelp View Post
And you deny the toilet economy

You deny that jobs for people like me are being taken by others who aren't supposed to have them

You are like new age people. Blame everything wrong with you on yourself. Not today's ****ed up society in america.

You support wasting trillions of dollars on war

If it was the 50's, I wouldn't be in this dilemma right now. Your baby boomer generation ruined it for Gen Y.

We young adults, we are the ones getting screwed over the hardest. Not you, your 5 cars, your mansion, and your unemployment benefits.

Teen unemployment is 25-30%

Country unemployment is 10% (or so the MSM says)
I think everyone here has given you some really excellent advice and help. I am a member of the boomer gen. by the way and no one ruined it for anyone. You make of things what you want good or bad. Just so you know I am in my 60's I have been out of work for some time I didn't sit around and whine and cry because someone ruined it for me or bellyached because a job was not dropped in my lap. I got my azz in gear and finally got a job yes it took time and yes I also didn't get answers to some of my apps. but I did not give up I just kept plugging away. I am so tired of hearing the whining and bellowing about the "poor gen Y" get over it, get off your duff take some of this advice and help you were given and put it to good use. Turn some of that anger energy you seem to have and put it to good use. By the way I don't know where you got the screwy idea that everyone has 5 cars and mansions and I for one have never, ever taken unemployment. I won't go into my sad saga because it is no ones business but mine, but suffice to say I am starting over at my age for cryin' out loud if I can do it now surely you can do it at your young age. It has always been difficult for young people without experience to get that first job but I will venture a guess that everyone here has gone through it and finally gotten that first job. You have been given encouragement, advice etc. now either run with it or continue to cry in your beer the ball is in your court now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment