Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 PM

39 posts, read 151,189 times

Advertisements

I always wondered, since the Walt Disney Co. is by far a top 10 company in the world... do they pay their associates really well? For example the ride operators or the characters? I don't know anyone who does or ever has worked there and am curious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 06:28 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Disneyland or Disneyworld? It may or may not make a difference.

Disney achieved a rating of 100% on the Corporate Equality Index and Best Places to Work 2010 Survey. More info here: The Walt Disney Company | Career Opportunities | Disney

Here is a personal account of working for Disney and a step by step program to work there.

Working for the Mouse - Disney (Unofficial) - Families.com

Old 04-20-2011, 06:40 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoss85 View Post
I always wondered, since the Walt Disney Co. is by far a top 10 company in the world... do they pay their associates really well? For example the ride operators or the characters? I don't know anyone who does or ever has worked there and am curious?
According to whom is Disney a "top 10 company", and based on what criteria? If I look at the annual Forbes list best places to work for 2011 (just one popular perspective), there is no mention of Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Disney achieved a rating of 100% on the Corporate Equality Index and Best Places to Work 2010 Survey. More info here: The Walt Disney Company | Career Opportunities | Disney
Not that this necessarily diminishes the award in any way, but it's specifically based for lesbian, bisexual, gay, and transgendered employees.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:44 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
The employees call it Mousewitz

Old 04-20-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
According to whom is Disney a "top 10 company", and based on what criteria? If I look at the Forbes list best places to work for 2011 (just one perspective), there is no mention of Disney.
Depends on the catagory. This link is a list of their rankings and recognitions with all news and financial magazines.

The Walt Disney Company | Career Opportunities | Disney

Old 04-20-2011, 07:01 PM

Here are a few more:

Forbes Names ADP’s CEO Top CEOs During Recession
Forbes names ADP’s Gary Butler the #1 CEO out of the top 25 named CEOs for keeping their companies afloat and thriving despite the recession in 2009. Some other CEO’s in the top 25 are Steve Jobs of Apple, Robert Iger of Walt Disney Co. and Ian Cook of Colgate-Palmolive.

Best Places to Work: 2010 competition draws 5,552 responses

Employees answered the surveys anonymously online and were allowed to write comments, good or bad, about their firm. (See comments, Page 22.)Some workers offered constructive criticism, such as asking management to mentor and guide workers, while others gave kudos to managers who made them feel valued and secure.
Quantum Workplace gathered the data for OBJ and used a proprietary formula to rank companies based on employee feedback about their satisfaction with their workplace.

The top-scoring companies in each division were: Walt Disney World, Swan & Dolphin Resort, more than 1,001 employees; Fairwinds Credit Union, 301-1,000 employees; Energy Air Inc., 151-300 employees; KEL Attorneys, 51-150 employees; and Vantage Communications, 10-50 employees. Firms with fewer than 10 workers were ineligible to participateRead more: Best Places to Work: 2010 competition draws 5,552 responses | Orlando Business Journal
Best Places to Work: 2010 competition draws 5,552 responses | Orlando Business Journal

Old 04-20-2011, 11:11 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Here are a few more:

Forbes Names ADP’s CEO Top CEOs During Recession
Forbes names ADP’s Gary Butler the #1 CEO out of the top 25 named CEOs for keeping their companies afloat and thriving despite the recession in 2009. Some other CEO’s in the top 25 are Steve Jobs of Apple, Robert Iger of Walt Disney Co. and Ian Cook of Colgate-Palmolive.

Best Places to Work: 2010 competition draws 5,552 responses

Employees answered the surveys anonymously online and were allowed to write comments, good or bad, about their firm. (See comments, Page 22.)Some workers offered constructive criticism, such as asking management to mentor and guide workers, while others gave kudos to managers who made them feel valued and secure.
Quantum Workplace gathered the data for OBJ and used a proprietary formula to rank companies based on employee feedback about their satisfaction with their workplace.

The top-scoring companies in each division were: Walt Disney World, Swan & Dolphin Resort, more than 1,001 employees; Fairwinds Credit Union, 301-1,000 employees; Energy Air Inc., 151-300 employees; KEL Attorneys, 51-150 employees; and Vantage Communications, 10-50 employees. Firms with fewer than 10 workers were ineligible to participateRead more: Best Places to Work: 2010 competition draws 5,552 responses | Orlando Business Journal
Best Places to Work: 2010 competition draws 5,552 responses | Orlando Business Journal
Again, not to say that Disney isn't a good place to work, but your first link was specifically a lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender based award, and this link is base on the Orlando Business Journal's local poll...what other large company with significant presence in Orlando is likely to have the biggest clout in an Orlando-based poll...

Old 04-21-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Again, not to say that Disney isn't a good place to work, but your first link was specifically a lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender based award, and this link is base on the Orlando Business Journal's local poll...what other large company with significant presence in Orlando is likely to have the biggest clout in an Orlando-based poll...
The first link had more than one places who evaluated it. You need to look at ALL the blurbs next to the magazines listed. In the last post I used Forbes (which has a pretty big audience).

Ranking by Business Week
Disney Tops List of Best Places to Begin Career

By Mark Hoerrner

Disney’s orientation programs may include earning a little extra pixie dust, but grads are lining up for work at the world’s largest media and entertainment company. The Walt Disney Company recently topped the list of the "50 Best Places to Launch A Career," as compiled by BusinessWeek magazine.

Union Website

A coalition of unions representing almost 30,000 workers at Walt Disney World has launched a website in an effort to draw public attention to those workers.

WeAreDisney.info offers personal stories from cast members as well as data about wages, benefits and other issues the unions see as important in ongoing negotiations with Disney.
Disney World unions launch website profiling employees

Testimony from Forbes and CNNMoney

The Walt Disney Company hired me when I was 59 to work in the theme park engineering area. The company has a rich culture and history and is extraordinarily supportive of employees, providing all kinds of tools for professional and personal growth and community involvement.

It is very satisfying to work in an atmosphere where imagination and diversity are so encouraged and where the final purpose is to provide fun and the stuff of beautiful dreams for the world's children and their families.

Posted By Bob Wolf, Newbury Park CA : Mon Jan 08, 10:50:58 AM

Here is a link to working at Disney World from the Florida Forum here at CD

http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ney-world.html

Old 04-21-2011, 04:44 AM

188 posts, read 938,324 times
Disney is a huge company there are 100’s of different jobs so it depends on exactly where you work and exactly what you do, I worked for Disney in Florida in one of the parks for about 1 and ½ years, worst job I ever had in my life. Zero advancement opportunities and constant abuse from the guests and management and you always have to have a smile on your face at all times when it’s going on. During the interview they will promise you everything you want to hear to you to get you in the door, after following all of their requirements and procedures you will still end up in the same position you start with. The good thing is that they do treat most of their employees the same, like crap.

Most of the decent positions within the company you will have to fit their profile to a “T” and get the right recommendations from the right management.
I always laugh when I remember the stack of paperwork that you sign when you get hire, one of the documents are similar to “if you ever think of an Disney idea while working at Disney or after you resign the Disney Corporation owns it (or something to that effect).

There are plenty of Disney worker sites on the web, Google a few and you will get all the views on them, when I lived in the area there always seem to be some article in the Orlando newspaper about the good, the bad and the ugly of Disney...

Last edited by Peperosso; 04-21-2011 at 04:47 AM.. Reason: adding

Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I heard they were cheap-paying, this is from the Orlando DW.

"if you ever think of an Disney idea while working at Disney or after you resign the Disney Corporation owns it (or something to that effect)" ... this is true at any corporation. Many make you sign papers saying this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment