Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 01:15 PM

148 posts, read 409,217 times

Advertisements

Are they common these days? How much weight do they generally carry in the hiring decision? At what point in the process are they usually given?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 02:55 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
I find they are CRITICAL for the employer to determine if you are hot-head likely to take out ( attack or shoot ) all the workers, likely to steal, likely to go behind the employers back...

I see alot of these and have answered quite a few..

The one most shocking " It is okay to steal as long as you never get found out "

Old 03-04-2011, 04:52 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I find they are CRITICAL for the employer to determine if you are hot-head likely to take out ( attack or shoot ) all the workers, likely to steal, likely to go behind the employers back...

I see alot of these and have answered quite a few..

The one most shocking " It is okay to steal as long as you never get found out "
I think you are more referring to integrity tests than personality assessments.

I am actually surprised to hear personality assessments are used so commonly. I find it hard to believe these organizations are doing due diligence and establishing criterion-related validity first. My guess is they use it based upon what they think a good employees profile should look like. One positive about personality assessments is they have virtually no group differences, so discrimination based upon them is almost impossible.

IMO I would not use personality measures unless it was shown that a certain personality profile was related to higher levels of job performance and or OCBs on that job in particular.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:27 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,578 times
There were two threads about this topic recently. A simple search through the forum can lead you to them. You can find them here and here.

The overly simplified answer about personality tests in general is that they are bunk. When a personality test is used for employment purposes, they're designed to weed out people who are too smart or too dumb. In other words, they're designed for employers to get workers that are just smart enough to do the job but dumb enough to not question authority.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:34 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
There were two threads about this topic recently. A simple search through the forum can lead you to them. You can find them here and here.

The overly simplified answer about personality tests in general is that they are bunk. When a personality test is used for employment purposes, they're designed to weed out people who are too smart or too dumb. In other words, they're designed for employers to get workers that are just smart enough to do the job but dumb enough to not question authority.
I would think cognitive ability tests would be a better way to test cognitive ability (ie smart & dumb) than personality assessments.

Seems like an odd and ineffective way to test how smart or dumb someone is. But I will take your word for it

Old 03-04-2011, 09:36 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,256,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myDeliverance View Post
Are they common these days? How much weight do they generally carry in the hiring decision? At what point in the process are they usually given?
Absolutely. They are very common and I have to say that although I have been working FT for quite some time now, when I was searching for jobs I took quite a few of them. In fact, I took so many that I vowed to not take them again. I have never gotten a job or interview from an employer who gives the personality tests. I have answered consistently, randomly, you name it and never got any calls after taking those tests.

Ironically, my employer administers these tests all the time, except when I got hired. I completed the computerized testing for other things and then here comes the personality test. I asked to speak with the interviewer and made an appeal. I talked my way out of it by requesting a 1 week non-paid trial (which turned into 2 weeks), if I was selected for the position. I agreed to accept pay only if I worked out with the department and my team. They offered me the position later that same day and I worked like crazy those 2 weeks and was hired on.

I despise those tests because it really boils down to someone's realistic work ethic, the kind you see in action as opposed to their idealistic work ethic, what they put down or what you read on paper.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:22 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post

An overly simplified answer from an overly simplified person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment