Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:40 PM

535 posts, read 585,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Yeah ... Some women do dress a bit risque in the workplace .... I should not be seeing that dragon tattoo on your lower back when you bend forward.

you don't need to look! I like to see that though! MMMmmmmm!

What is wrong is when women wear very low cut tops and then act like their upset when men stare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post

OVERLY tight jeans, skin tight skinny jeans 2-3 inches heels.

I mean really.

I love the jeans that aren't really jeans that some very few women wear.. that just flow with their curves.

I've only seen it I think once in person. All the men in the room kept checking her out, and were like "damn!" , and the other women had to educate us that they really weren't jeans and they didn't even have pockets, only fake pockets.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:49 PM

134 posts, read 367,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I know Google and some tech companies have relaxed dress codes but most professional office environments that I know of wouldn't permit anyone to wear jeans in the office place. The heels don't surprise me - high hooker heels have been in style for a number of years now. However, I do think they make the wearer look like a hooker when paired with jeans - especially skinny jeans/pants or leggings
Where I work almost everyone wears jeans and people will wear anything from button ups to sweatshirts.

But I work at one of those tech companies, haha.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Geshhhhhhhhh, I'm just so, so, SO "old fashion" AND old! I really liked the way people dressed back in the 80's and 90's at work. Heck, wife and I've even seen ladies shopping at Wal Mart that looked like they were Call Girls in Vegas. Shocking, absolutely SHOCKING!!
That saying "I've got it and I'm going flaunt it" is very true today in both the workplace and in Wal Mart!
Tight jeans and heels........thank God retirement is coming very soon!

Wally world is probably the best place an ordinary person can go to find good looking women dressed sexy.

Whats really not that sexy to me is all those skinny "fashion" models. Their magazines and others act like they are the hottest women in the world, but I just don't see it. I'd rather have a regular woman with some actual curves and some extra fat in at least some places.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,840 times
Default cpg35223 Sooo grateful for your post

Thank you for your post. You truly took a snapshot of the extent to which clothing is a symbol of who we are and how perceivers are wolves ready to demolish all hope of succeeding purely on job related ability and performance. However, if one of your employees approached you with a request but was poorly dressed, would your inclination be to say no?

Old 01-29-2012, 03:46 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty60 View Post
Thank you for your post. You truly took a snapshot of the extent to which clothing is a symbol of who we are and how perceivers are wolves ready to demolish all hope of succeeding purely on job related ability and performance. However, if one of your employees approached you with a request but was poorly dressed, would your inclination be to say no?
Well, that's really a compliment that isn't one. However, your question fails to grasp a crucial point: You are a representative of your employer. So how you dress is actually intrinsic to your ability and performance, not some wholly unrelated and irrelevant sidebar. In that sense, clothing is indeed a symbol of who you are and how you feel about the person sitting across the conference room table from you.

Look, in a perfect world, I suppose people wouldn't judge others on appearance, but they do. If you dress like a slob, you'll be seen as a slob. That is just human nature. Complain about it all you want, but it isn't going to change.

So when you stroll into a customer's office looking like an unmade bed, guess what? They're not going to remember the first word you said. You could be Lee Iacocca and Jack Welch rolled into one, but you're going to have a hard time convincing them that you're more than a couple of notches above the village idiot. Heck, Steve Jobs wore suits for the longest time. It wasn't until Apple's future as a company was secure that he devolved into wearing jeans and black turtlenecks. And he could get away with it because, well, he was Steve Jobs. None of the rest of us are Steve Jobs.

But what's really at work with that kind of mentality is a bit of arrogance, i.e., the rules don't apply to me and that I can show complete contempt for my employer's image by looking as if I just rolled in from the homeless shelter. And that same person almost certainly ends up wondering why he keeps getting passed over for promotion and gets shunted in the furthest possible cubicle from the conference room--lest the public see.

And if it's not arrogance, then it sure as shooting is a big smoke screen for laziness. I mean, how hard is it to stroll into J.C. Penney on a saturday afternoon and pick up some half-decent looking duds? How hard is it to get a decent haircut once a month? How hard is it actually look at oneself in the mirror and say, "You know, there's a big meeting today at the office. Maybe I need to look a little sharper than this"? You don't have to be wearing Armani or haute couture on the job--Heck, Grrranimals will do. You don't have to look like a model. You don't have to empty out your bank account. Far from it. All you have to do is show up wearing something, anything that appears as if you actually gave a rip about yourself. Because if you don't respect yourself well enough to dress decently for the job, how in the world do you think you'll get respect from anyone else?

Back to the question about the hypothetical employee. First, if an employee showed up to the job poorly dressed, I'd send him home. I've done it before and I'd do it again. In fact, I had one talented employee who was so wardrobe-challenged that I actually took him to a Mens Wearhouse and bought him a basic business wardrobe on my own damned dime. Funny how all you have to do is send them home once and, suddenly, they begin to care about how he's dressed. And I've done him a great big favor in the process.

Last edited by cpg35223; 01-29-2012 at 03:57 PM..

Old 01-29-2012, 04:51 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, that's really a compliment that isn't one. However, your question fails to grasp a crucial point: You are a representative of your employer. So how you dress is actually intrinsic to your ability and performance, not some wholly unrelated and irrelevant sidebar. In that sense, clothing is indeed a symbol of who you are and how you feel about the person sitting across the conference room table from you.

Look, in a perfect world, I suppose people wouldn't judge others on appearance, but they do. If you dress like a slob, you'll be seen as a slob. That is just human nature. Complain about it all you want, but it isn't going to change.

So when you stroll into a customer's office looking like an unmade bed, guess what? They're not going to remember the first word you said. You could be Lee Iacocca and Jack Welch rolled into one, but you're going to have a hard time convincing them that you're more than a couple of notches above the village idiot. Heck, Steve Jobs wore suits for the longest time. It wasn't until Apple's future as a company was secure that he devolved into wearing jeans and black turtlenecks. And he could get away with it because, well, he was Steve Jobs. None of the rest of us are Steve Jobs.

But what's really at work with that kind of mentality is a bit of arrogance, i.e., the rules don't apply to me and that I can show complete contempt for my employer's image by looking as if I just rolled in from the homeless shelter. And that same person almost certainly ends up wondering why he keeps getting passed over for promotion and gets shunted in the furthest possible cubicle from the conference room--lest the public see.

And if it's not arrogance, then it sure as shooting is a big smoke screen for laziness. I mean, how hard is it to stroll into J.C. Penney on a saturday afternoon and pick up some half-decent looking duds? How hard is it to get a decent haircut once a month? How hard is it actually look at oneself in the mirror and say, "You know, there's a big meeting today at the office. Maybe I need to look a little sharper than this"? You don't have to be wearing Armani or haute couture on the job--Heck, Grrranimals will do. You don't have to look like a model. You don't have to empty out your bank account. Far from it. All you have to do is show up wearing something, anything that appears as if you actually gave a rip about yourself. Because if you don't respect yourself well enough to dress decently for the job, how in the world do you think you'll get respect from anyone else?

Back to the question about the hypothetical employee. First, if an employee showed up to the job poorly dressed, I'd send him home. I've done it before and I'd do it again. In fact, I had one talented employee who was so wardrobe-challenged that I actually took him to a Mens Wearhouse and bought him a basic business wardrobe on my own damned dime. Funny how all you have to do is send them home once and, suddenly, they begin to care about how he's dressed. And I've done him a great big favor in the process.
There are more and more places that don't care. Someone can look very nice in a comfortable pair of jeans and sneakers.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
There are more and more places that don't care. Someone can look very nice in a comfortable pair of jeans and sneakers.
Don't kid yourself. I mean, if one is operating a metal press all day, then year. But the jobs that really matter, the jobs that really pay well and provide the career path are ones where dressing right on the job matter a good deal. And never let anyone tell you otherwise.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:20 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
What often puzzles me is that employers don't take the initiative to pull certain employees aside to address their manner of dress individually. My current agency used to have casual Friday (dark jeans and collar top required), until one person decided to show up to a Board meeting in regular blue jeans. A Board member commented on it and suddenly all jeans are banned.

This has happened at a couple of places I've worked. Punish the masses for the mistakes of the few. Oh well, just another reason to go shopping.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:32 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Don't kid yourself. I mean, if one is operating a metal press all day, then year. But the jobs that really matter, the jobs that really pay well and provide the career path are ones where dressing right on the job matter a good deal. And never let anyone tell you otherwise.
Thanks for the foolish generalization. I'm living "otherwise" though.

I'm not saying the majority of places are like this but more are becoming casual. I have various friends that work at huge corporations where the bosses dress in jeans and sneakers. Sure if a client is coming by you might have to dress up.

It's not the 1980's anymore. It's always been an idiotic notion that dressing up made you a good worker. Dressing sloppy and dressing casual are two different things.

Here is a good read for you. Things are only going to get more casual.....
http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...2366189.column
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment