Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 02:16 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,041 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone here has ever hired a recruiter to get a new job? It's not for me, but for someone else (for confidentiality, I'll say it's my friend, okay?). My friend is an engineer.

I guess my friend and I are both skeptical of recruiters because in our college days in the early 1990's recruiters were seen as a scam. However, this was before the explosion of the information age and the Internet. Also, we've had sevreral friends hire a recruiter and find positions that were great for them out of state.

My friend is thinking of hiring a recruiter, but not sure where to start. I guess what complicates things is that he's wants to find a job in a different state, so he's not super familiar with the job market or trends in the other state. He worries about things being accurately presented, etc.?

There's so many recruiters out there too, so how do you know how to pick a good one? LOL

Thanks for any help in advance!

Hugs,
AB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 08:13 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Yes, I've used recruiters. I wouldn't say I "hire" them because I don't pay them anything. They are paid by the company/firm that is doing the hiring.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:21 AM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,391,913 times
I've used recruiters. Usually, I'll answer an ad and then find that it was placed by a recruiter. Keep in mind that you should NEVER pay a recruiter to get you a job. Recruiters get their money from the company that is hiring you. And this brings up another consideration... Recruiters will charge the company a hefty sum. (For example, we hired a trainer recently and had to pay $10k to the recruiting agency.) Because the company has to pay the recruiter that sum, the company may then be more inclined to offer you a lower salary than if you had applied directly with them. Some recruiters are excellent and others are totally useless. Anyone can hang a sign on their door and say they're a recruiter. Try to find recruiters who have been in business for a while. Also, observe how the recruiter handles the recruitment process. The more experienced ones will tend to follow 'best practices' and act more professionally.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:45 AM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times
The trouble with Recruiters is many of them want to check your references in advance of an interview. This will cause many of your professional references to get frustrated if they are called constantly and may limit their effectiveness when you really need them.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:51 AM

800 posts, read 4,297,041 times
This is great advice! Thank you!

Keep it comin'

With gratitude,
AB

Old 07-31-2007, 01:07 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
Just curious if anyone here has ever hired a recruiter to get a new job? It's not for me, but for someone else (for confidentiality, I'll say it's my friend, okay?). My friend is an engineer.

I guess my friend and I are both skeptical of recruiters because in our college days in the early 1990's recruiters were seen as a scam. However, this was before the explosion of the information age and the Internet. Also, we've had sevreral friends hire a recruiter and find positions that were great for them out of state.

My friend is thinking of hiring a recruiter, but not sure where to start. I guess what complicates things is that he's wants to find a job in a different state, so he's not super familiar with the job market or trends in the other state. He worries about things being accurately presented, etc.?

There's so many recruiters out there too, so how do you know how to pick a good one? LOL

Thanks for any help in advance!

Hugs,
AB

===========

I would check some of the best recruiting agencies like Robert Half and Manpower among a few to see what types of jobs they have available then go in and register with them....it is free.

I do not believe in paying a recruiter with my own hard earned $$$$ - let them compete for your skills.

Once you get your foot into the door and can prove you are hardworking the employer might end the temp contract and high you full-time.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:01 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Also, interviewing with recruiters is good practice for having real job interviews. Recruiters will want to bring you in to talk even if they don't have anything right then that fits your needs. You should do a few just for practice.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:17 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
I might pay some HR shark money to get a job...when hell freezes over.

I've found interviewing with agencies to be a waste of time. Good practice, if you need it. But, if you don't...

I ask them on the phone if they have an actual job that they're looking to fill. If they don't, I don't go see them.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:20 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
Default Career Builder

Anyone have any good experiences with this outfit?

All I got out of my interaction with them was endless spam from other job search services and phony job offers.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:46 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
go for it, why not? I look at every interview as practice that brings me one step closer to getting the job or client I want. Go on as many interviews as possible. You learn something new at every one. Just don't pay the recruiter in moola. Let the hiring company take care of that.

green machine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search