Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 11:15 AM

213 posts, read 520,361 times

Advertisements

European companies turn to the US for cheap, unregulated labor:

Manufacturing: The U.S. is increasingly where Europe comes to slum - latimes.com

"But slumming in America is fast becoming a business model for some of Europe's leading companies, and they often do things here they would never think of doing at home. These companies — not banks, primarily, but such gold-plated European manufacturers as BMW, Daimler, Volkswagen and Siemens, and retailers such as IKEA — increasingly come to America (the South particularly) because labor is cheap and workers have no rights. In their eyes, we're becoming the new China. Our labor costs may be a little higher, but we offer stronger intellectual property protections and far fewer strikes than our unruly Chinese comrades."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 11:20 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
I'm sure Republicans are thrilled by this. If we keep this up, we can roll back the clock on the entire 20th century and party like its 1899 all over again! Subsistence wages, long hours, no benefits, here we come. Heck, if we're lucky, maybe we can get the kids out of schools and back where they belong -- the factories.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:26 AM

398 posts, read 1,366,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastinshow View Post
These companies — not banks, primarily, but such gold-plated European manufacturers as BMW, Daimler, Volkswagen and Siemens, and retailers such as IKEA — increasingly come to America (the South particularly) because labor is cheap and workers have no rights. In their eyes, we're becoming the new China. Our labor costs may be a little higher, but we offer stronger intellectual property protections and far fewer strikes than our unruly Chinese comrades."
BMW, Daimler, Volkswagen and Siemens, and retailers such as IKEA?
Do you prefer these iconic name brand employers move to China where they can pay even less?

Toyota and Sony are good foreign companies to work for in America.

You can always work for an American company like Walmart if you choose.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:02 PM

213 posts, read 520,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
Do you prefer these iconic name brand employers move to China where they can pay even less?

You don't have a good grasp on irony, do you?

Old 05-15-2011, 02:00 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Was just in IKEA; 95%+ of their stuff is still made in China.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:40 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post

BMW and Volkswagen are car companies. Car companies tend to pay halfway decent. I know that the Toyota factory in Indiana starts workers out at $40 an hour. Not too bad I might say.

I am happy about European companies moving here. We need JOBS. I say bring on the JOBS. Let's get people back to work.

I would rather work at any of these companies than be on welfare or unemployment.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:44 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm sure Republicans are thrilled by this. If we keep this up, we can roll back the clock on the entire 20th century and party like its 1899 all over again! Subsistence wages, long hours, no benefits, here we come. Heck, if we're lucky, maybe we can get the kids out of schools and back where they belong -- the factories.
What are we supposed to do? Just sit on our butt and collect unemployment forever?? You do realize that folks on unemployment get no benefits and typically live off substandard wages. In AZ, the max check is $240 a week.

Toyota is foreign company and starting wages are $40 an hour. Not too bad. We need JOBS in this country and we need them NOW.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:54 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
What are we supposed to do? Just sit on our butt and collect unemployment forever?? You do realize that folks on unemployment get no benefits and typically live off substandard wages. In AZ, the max check is $240 a week.

Toyota is foreign company and starting wages are $40 an hour. Not too bad. We need JOBS in this country and we need them NOW.
Toyota doesn't pay anywhere near $40, IIRC they start around $20. Not bad, but NOT $40/hr.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:40 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Toyota doesn't pay anywhere near $40, IIRC they start around $20. Not bad, but NOT $40/hr.
Not bad at all! Sign.... me.... up!!! I don't require benefits either.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:02 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,659 times
PF Changs on me!
^__^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment