Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM

6 posts, read 7,993 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if worker status affects the taxes we pay at the state level? I was determined by the IRS to be a de facto employee (not IC) and they are currently processing all my paperwork and i should be receiving some credit/refund back.

I don't know how this works at the state level though (if it does). I'm in NY, so does anyone know if I would also have money coming back to me from the state because of this?

I called New York State tax office about it and they seem pretty clueless about this as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
It can. If you file as an IC you can have all sorts of deductions like vehicle millage and home office that reduce your state taxable income. As a W-2 you don't get as many deductions.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,404 times
With all that is going on with the IRS, an acknowledgement may take 6 months, and a decision another 18. You may be able to accelerate the process by contacting a Taxpayer Advocate through the IRS. This helped me in moving it along, and the result, as an employee was in my favor. It basically boils down to one important criteria: Who does the customer pay? If you are not getting direct payment from the customer receiving the service (i.e. a home owner who is having the work done ) then you are more than likely an employee. Another basic principle is: Does the employer determine HOW MUCH and HOW OFTEN you are paid. If the answer is yes to both, then you are an employee.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,289 times
greyhound_in_seattle,

Do you still have that number for the ss-8 department? I have a wrong number for the department and it's even listed wrong under the IRS website. Anyway, I just want to talk to someone over there who can give me some actual answers. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2013, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,439 times
Default Ss8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub522 View Post
greyhound_in_seattle,

Do you still have that number for the ss-8 department? I have a wrong number for the department and it's even listed wrong under the IRS website. Anyway, I just want to talk to someone over there who can give me some actual answers. Thanks!
The phone number is 631-654-6025 but you need luck, because when I call the voice mailbox is full. I filed in Nov.2011, got 3 letters back, telling me the are busy and it will take another 180 days. Twice I got a call from someone at IRS, but he had no knowledge about my case. The last one said it was inexcusable that it would take so long. Good luck with your case and let us know how you end up.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:49 PM

553 posts, read 1,208,961 times
One common reason employers classify workers as IC rather than employee is to avoid paying the worker overtime premiums. If you were classified as an IC and worked 40+ hours in a week without getting paid a premium for the overtime hours, you should consult with an attorney. Lawyers who practice in these areas LOVE these kinds of cases, and will likely be happy to talk with you for little or no money up front. The post above about doing satellite installations is a classic example of what I am talking about.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,439 times
Default Ss8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattayaklaus View Post
The phone number is 631-654-6025 but you need luck, because when I call the voice mailbox is full. I filed in Nov.2011, got 3 letters back, telling me the are busy and it will take another 180 days. Twice I got a call from someone at IRS, but he had no knowledge about my case. The last one said it was inexcusable that it would take so long. Good luck with your case and let us know how you end up.
Today 5-30-2013 I got my IRS determination, after contacting about 4 weeks ago a IRS Advocate at the IRS office in my County. I got there number from the IRS customer service. Result: I was an employee.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:45 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
It's been 2 years for me and I've pretty much given up getting a determination. It doesn't matter that much anymore anyways.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:42 PM

349 posts, read 274,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen n View Post
Congratulations! I would definitely recommend starting with your state's labor department. Going after non-compliant employers is a good way for states to make up for lost revenue without raising taxes, so many states have lots of resources dedicated to weeding out those employers.

No one should be compliant with the IRS.

The IRS is a slave-driving, dictatorial, tyrant that needs to be disobeyed constantly to strip them of their unlimited power.

I LOVE seeing employers disobeying the IRS!

Old 05-30-2013, 11:46 PM

349 posts, read 274,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It can. If you file as an IC you can have all sorts of deductions like vehicle millage and home office that reduce your state taxable income. As a W-2 you don't get as many deductions.

Wow, vehical mileage?

Why not have the state pay for your lunch too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment