Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:46 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

Anyone here a blogger with their own site?

Have you been able to make any money from it, or has it been more of a hobby for you?

Any tips to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 09:10 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
I am not. But, many people have been successful with blogging including a couple of my friends. They are just few and far between and you have to enable ads on your site to make any money. I think that there is a trade-off though with privacy and developing thick skin for the critics out there.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:17 PM

769 posts, read 1,730,065 times
It's definitely possible, but you need to get really lucky or have a really good idea in order to actually make an money from it. And even then, it's extremely unlikely that you'll make any livable income from that alone. Sure you might rake in $400 extra a month after a year of working on the site... but then again you're spending 3 hours a day writing stuff. Not really a practical way to make cash.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:06 PM

460 posts, read 1,139,811 times
You would likely make more money applying to work at content mill sites and if you still feel like building your own business posting articles on revenue review sites.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:18 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,386 times
According to one of my journalism professors, blogging is dying and by the end of 2011/early 2012, it will be dead.
I view blogging a lot like writing a novel. You really can't do it for the money, because a lot of times it won't make you any. You have to do it because you love writing.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:58 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
It's kind of like threading a needle. You need a topic that is broad enough to attract a large audience. And yet you also need a topic that is specific enough to attract a targeted audience that paying advertisers are interested in reaching. On top of that, you need a topic general enough that you can continually have fresh ideas to write about.

I've met a few bloggers. One of them managed to build up enough of a following to quit his job and go full-time, but that took years. About five years, I think. And it really is a full-time job. He is constantly chasing down interviews, researching topics, and writing. Not to mention, monitoring the comments. People don't really like to follow blogs if they can't make comments, btw. All the rest of the bloggers I know have been doing it as a hobby and don't make any money from it, beyond covering their expenses.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:14 PM

35 posts, read 63,198 times
It's definitely possible. Of course, like in any other business, you need an angle. Simply throwing up generic content isn't gonna cut it.

Take Steve Pavlina. He used to develop computer games he then sold through his website. For several years, he made a pretty decent living from it. Then he left the industry altogether, and started a personal development blog (not my cup of tea, too much new age woowoo), which he claims brings in $1k a day in ad revenue. I have no reason to doubt him. The key is having a topic you can continuously generate fresh, interesting content on.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
According to one of my journalism professors, blogging is dying and by the end of 2011/early 2012, it will be dead.
I view blogging a lot like writing a novel. You really can't do it for the money, because a lot of times it won't make you any. You have to do it because you love writing.
Your journalism professor is a moron of colossal proportions, and should consider immediate retirement.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoGCE View Post
Your journalism professor is a moron of colossal proportions, and should consider immediate retirement.

Nah, he's actually one of the smartest professors I've encountered.

He was referring to this article- http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/21/te...blog.html?_r=1

Also, not many morons who are in the teaching profession get paid $120,000.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
Nah, he's actually one of the smartest professors I've encountered.

He was referring to this article- http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/21/te...blog.html?_r=1
That article doesn't draw nearly the same conclusions your professor does. Certainly not the "death" of blogging by 2012. He sounds like he likes to formulate grand pronouncements based on only cursory readings of information.

Quote:
Also, not many morons who are in the teaching profession get paid $120,000.
You believe in Worthington's Law? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment