Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 01:47 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times

Advertisements

I'm an admin asst. Really irritated at my boss being so overly concerned about the use of my leave. I never go over what's allotted to me, but it seems that's not good enough for him. He wants me to work on building up hours in case of an emergency. That's all very sweet, but let me worry about my own leave!!!

Just curious how much leave you take vs. what you're allowed each year.

Note: This year, I've taken off 24 days total (including sick days for self, kids, etc). I'm allowed 34. Is this excessive? If you don't go over your allotted leave, can it even be considered excessive?

TIA for opinions. Wondering if I'm being unreasonably insensitive or if my boss needs to MHOB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 01:53 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Does that number include vacation days? If so, how many? I generally take about ten days of vacation and about 6-8 sick days a year (I usually get hit twice a year with an illness that puts me out for multiple days). I accumulate about 18 vac days a year. In my salaried pay classification, I don't get sick days per say; if I'm sick, I can stay home.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Does that number include vacation days? If so, how many? I generally take about ten days of vacation and about 6-8 sick days a year (I usually get hit twice a year with an illness that puts me out for multiple days). I accumulate about 18 vac days a year. In my salaried pay classification, I don't get sick days per say; if I'm sick, I can stay home.
Yes, I get 12 sick days, 20 vacation and 2 personal. So, 34 total. About 17 of these are vacation/personal and 7 are sick.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:04 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
I get three weeks vacation and I usually end up with a few comp days for either working company holidays or excessive stretches of work. That is generally another week. We get about 10 company holidays and a shutdown week at Christmas as well. We don't get an set amount of sick days.

I take all of it.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:13 PM

My boss even suggested that I take my leave when he takes his. I was too stunned to give an adequate response.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times
I have a boss that is like this and I'm thinking of talking to one of the other partners about it. She gave me a hard time in October for taking one vacation day, for medical reasons, and a day for professional development which was approved months beforehand. I haven't even used half of my vacation time this year. She made snide comments about how I wasn't around to get things done--never mind the fact that not a single deadline was missed because of my absence.

In contrast several other people completely abuse their time off and she does nothing. She admitted that she was expressing her frustration at me despite knowing that it was other people who are taking so much time off. But still...she says nothing to them, only to me. Our company doesn't track the usage of time off, we're all on the honor system. I doubt we'll start tracking time off any time in the near future because the person who would do that--the HR director/controller is one of the abusers. He hasn't been in the office for two consecutive days in a row in months! Last week one of the admin staff called in 'sick' because 'her neighbors were up late'. I am taking the week off between Christmas and New Years and still I will not have used all of my time off this year--and my boss commented on how convenient it was since she too will be off that week.

I hesitate to use the term 'hostile work environment' because I feel it gets tossed around too easily, but I'm not sure what else to call it when a boss intimidates staff into not using their vacation time. Vacation time is a form of pay and coercing an employee into giving up their pay creates a hostile work environment, IMO. Especially when it isn't applied equally to all of the staff!

Old 11-25-2011, 03:23 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,494 times
At my previous job we had to take all of our vacation each year they wouldn't allow any carryover into the next year.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:45 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
My boss is a big supporter of work/life balance. As long as the work gets done it's no problem. All included (vacation, personal days, and holidays) is about 6 weeks. I take it all, but there are times when I work from home just the same. This is compensated by taking time off that is not accounted for on my end (doc appts and the like).

Old 11-25-2011, 08:08 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,501,204 times
Nice to know there are still jobs out there that let employees take a month or more off. I used to have one of those..lol. But an HR/director not working 2 days in a row in over a couple of months? We always hear about employers taking advantage of employees. That`s a case of an employee getting away with murder!

Old 11-25-2011, 09:31 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,548,159 times
Given my length of time with current employer, I get 6 weeks paid off per year - PTO- sick/vacation combined. Plus major holidays.

I was earning a bit more before we merged - as they kept sick/vacay seperate, but I don't use much sick time, so its OK with me.

We have a certain amount we have to get cashed out for each year if we don't use it.- although they are talking about rescinding that (the cash out) to avoid doing layoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment