Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:01 AM

924 posts, read 2,230,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeen2008 View Post
I have a good friend who worked at her job and gave 110 percent at this job and when she quit she was making a whopping ten dollars an hour so what do you think of that? I think its criminal.
I think that either you or your friend needs to brush up on math. If 100% is max effort, what does 110% mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 12:10 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
I think that either you or your friend needs to brush up on math. If 100% is max effort, what does 110% mean?
100% isn't maximum effort. 100% is expected performance.

Let's say someone is expected to produce Ω widgets in 8 hours and they produce 1.1Ω widgets in 8 hours, they have effectively worked 110%.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 AM

371 posts, read 1,567,036 times
I know this company you speak of....my husband was laid off from them 2.5 years ago! They are the worst company to work for, not loyal to their employees and unless you know someone you will never advance. You walk on egg shells because you never know when you will be cut. Five years my husband went through this until the ax fell and you know what?? It was the best thing that ever happened! Do what a previous poster said...keep low do your work don't get involved in the politics there and look for new employment. You will never advance in that company. They outsource everything and claim they are a global company. The higher ups and stock holders make all the money while you sit there and bust your butt just to not get noticed. I cringe everytime I see that company name or hear about the supposedly wonderful things they do...meanwhile they keep cutting their employees and it never makes the headlines..no one ever finds out unless you know someone that got axed. They are by far the worst company to work for...not a job for life like it was decades ago! Good luck and I hope you find a better company to work for in your near future!

Last edited by MomOfToo; 06-14-2011 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Mispelled words

Old 06-14-2011, 08:54 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
I know this company you speak of....my husband was laid off from them 2.5 years ago! They are the worst company to work for, not loyal to their employees and unless you know someone you will never advance. You walk on egg shells because you never know when you will be cut. Five years my husband went through this until the ax fell and you know what?? It was the best thing that ever happened! Do what a previous poster said...keep low do your work don't get involved in the politics there and look for new employment. You will never advance in that company. They outsource everything and claim they are a global company. The higher ups and stock holders make all the money while you sit there and bust your butt just to not get noticed. I cringe everytime I see that company name or hear about the supposedly wonderful things they do...meanwhile they keep cutting their employees and it never makes the headlines..no one ever finds out unless you know someone that got axed. They are by far the worst company to work for...not a job for life like it was decades ago! Good luck and I hope you find a better company to work for in your near future!
Come on come on, someone spill the beans already. What company you guys talking about? HP? IBM? Lenny's Computer World? Ron Popeil's wait, there's more hi-tech stuff.

Unload.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:58 AM

299 posts, read 1,132,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
The outsourcing is insanity. Before I started working there... I was getting all my correspondence from Mexico...my offer letter came from there!!... HR is in Mexico...IT is in India but seems to be moving to Mexico as well. Some of their finance is in Poland... it creates more problems because all of us spend more time becoming unproductive trying to solve problems with people in another country. Nobody measures the amount of money a company is losing with lost time of their employees... they just see outsourcing as a general money saver.

I'm doing what is required in my position, paying off my student loans and like you said, keeping my head down. No layoffs in the future at this point but I am building a FAT savings just in case...

People are amazed by the bare bones of this company. It was on the same caliber as Google many years ago... great company to work for...not now!

Old 06-14-2011, 10:52 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
I work at one of the largest tech companies in the world. I would REALLY love to say the name because it would shock most of you what goes on here but I won't...... They even cut our wireless a few years ago to save on costs.

Now, I have only been here for about 7 months but nobody has had a raise here in 6 years. About 4 years ago, everyone across the board took a 5% pay cut (they said this was to avoid layoffs and they still happened anyway) but they since have been given back that paycut recently. Gee thanks! Still, there are no pay raises in the future... or so it looks that way.

We are still expected to write our mid year performance reviews. We are expected to put down in writing how we can improve our jobs/ourselves. Basically, how can we improve ourselves thereby the company benefits from this. But we get nothing in return.

I realize this is the new reality of the workplace but if there are no incentives (bonus' are miniscule if not absent) than wouldn't you think we should not be required to go through the review process? No raises, no reviews? Because now it gives the impression of desperation. The review process has become more of a fear based time. We are ranked and rated against our peers so now it's a matter of scrambling to KEEP our job and not be pushed out the door rather then improving ourselves, getting promotions, raises etc?

Your thoughts?

You must be working for CCI..?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:38 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Probably Yahoo or Micro Soft.......

Old 06-14-2011, 07:46 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
Ulterior motive in not giving raises: Maybe they want all the employees to quit, that way they won't have to fire them, and they can hire "offshore".

Old 06-14-2011, 11:19 PM

299 posts, read 1,132,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Ulterior motive in not giving raises: Maybe they want all the employees to quit, that way they won't have to fire them, and they can hire "offshore".
They have hired most people offshore...

and for the record.. it's not IBM, Yahoo, Dell, Apple, Microsoft, Intel, Qualcomm, Oracle, or Sony.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:37 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
The tech field in general seems to be really weird right now. Every case of terrible management practice that I hear of seems to be in this industry.....hmm......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment