Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 12:49 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,638,795 times

Advertisements

Is it legal for a recruiter to submit your resume to a company without your permission? I know it's not ethical. I've had this happen to me twice in the last two weeks and I'm just wondering what, if any, recourse I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 02:36 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
Most recruiters ask for premission. In any case, I don't see the big deal. Just decline the position/interview if you are not interested. The company could just as easily gotten your resume off a job board or linked-in.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Most recruiters ask for premission. In any case, I don't see the big deal. Just decline the position/interview if you are not interested. The company could just as easily gotten your resume off a job board or linked-in.
The big deal is that once your resume is in a company's database, you can't reapply, at least not for another year. If you do, they'll just treat it as a double submission. So if a recruiter submits you for a job that you don't even want and then a month later, a job you really like at that same company opens up, you can't apply since you're already in their system. So now this recruiter has pretty much screwed me from applying for that company. I don't know even know what job I was submitted for. I just got the automated reply saying they got my resume.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:22 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,902,569 times
The recruiter submitted your resume for a job that you want, and it sounds like you're trying to circumvent the recruiter and their commission by applying directly--which is exactly what the employer's system is trying to prevent. They don't want to get caught in the middle of a dispute between you and the recruiter over how you got the job and whether or not they deserve a cut of your pay.

But if for some reason the recruiter submitted your resume for a different job that you aren't interested in, then you might try calling the HR department and asking if they can delete the recruiter's application so you can apply to a different position. And then call the recruiter and have them close your file. Of course there's no guarantee that the HR department will help you out, and you'll be excluding yourself from ever working with that recruiter again.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:33 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
The big deal is that once your resume is in a company's database, you can't reapply, at least not for another year. If you do, they'll just treat it as a double submission. So if a recruiter submits you for a job that you don't even want and then a month later, a job you really like at that same company opens up, you can't apply since you're already in their system. So now this recruiter has pretty much screwed me from applying for that company. I don't know even know what job I was submitted for. I just got the automated reply saying they got my resume.
I don't understand. I have applied for several positions at the same company before and it is not a big deal. For example I have my resume up at a Big Pharma company and I apply for analytical chemist and maybe a few weeks later I apply for a biochemist position and have no problems. In fact, their internal website is set up to select and apply for multiple jobs.

If you get hired for a different position and the recruiter tries to collect a fee without anyting in writing that he is representing you, then you can tell him to take a hike and he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
The recruiter submitted your resume for a job that you want, and it sounds like you're trying to circumvent the recruiter and their commission by applying directly--which is exactly what the employer's system is trying to prevent. They don't want to get caught in the middle of a dispute between you and the recruiter over how you got the job and whether or not they deserve a cut of your pay.
There are so many things wrong with this statement. First, I never said the recruiter submitted me for a job I wanted. In fact, I don't even know what job they submitted me for. Second, why would I want to skip using the recruiter and apply to the company directly? If I did that, my resume would just end up in HR along with thousands of other resumes. I'd rather go through a recruiter who can get me past HR. And third, the recruiter doesn't get a cut of my pay. Whether I go through them or apply on my own, I get the same salary. The only difference is that in addition to my salary, the company pays the recruiter their fee. That's not coming out of my pocket.

Quote:
I don't understand. I have applied for several positions at the same company before and it is not a big deal. For example I have my resume up at a Big Pharma company and I apply for analytical chemist and maybe a few weeks later I apply for a biochemist position and have no problems. In fact, their internal website is set up to select and apply for multiple jobs.
The difference is that those jobs are posted to their own website. But a lot of companies don't post openings because they know they'll get flooded with resumes. Instead, they turn to a placement firm to serve as a filter. Now imagine you're a company and you turn to a recruiter to fill a DBA job. The recruiter sends you my resume which says that I'm a web developer. Since it's not even close to what you want, you reject me. A month later, you need to hire a web developer. You call up the recruiter again. He sends you my resume. But then you say "sorry, but he's already in our system." I've had plenty of friends who'd lost out on jobs for this reason alone.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:01 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,700,722 times
Quote:
Yes, but in many big pharma companies (my area of industry) once a resume / CV has been submitted and is in the system, they do not like to see the same resume / CV submitted multiple times (and especially not from multiple sources, e.g. you, recruiter #1, recruiter #2, etc.). Once they receive it and put it in their system, they do not want to receive it again.

OP - just go to the recruiter and tell them they are not allowed to submit your resume to any company without checking with you first.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
OP - just go to the recruiter and tell them they are not allowed to submit your resume to any company without checking with you first.
I did. He knows that he needed to get my permission first, but he claims that I gave it to him. I didn't. What happened was that I had heard about Company X and I knew that this recruiter had contacts over there. So I asked him to make some inquiries and see if they had any openings. But rather than sending me the job opening he found and letting me decide if I wanted to apply, he just submitted me anyway. In his mind, my wanting to know if Company X was hiring was the equivalent of me wanting to apply. But those are two different things. I think a lot of these recruiters are so desperate to get their fee that they just blast resumes over to their clients without waiting for permission.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 8,133 times
Recruiters need permission before sending resume to any employer. Unfortunately shady recruiters spam resumes hoping they lock in for-fee intros. Happens a lot. Today a candidate was upset to find his resume was sent to us and to a friend of his he's known for 8 yrs. Imagine his embarrassment when his friend asked him why he's job hunting. Last month a friend of mine landed on my desk via a for-fee recruiter and I work at his employer's competitor! Talk about uncomfortable. Report resume theft! Recruiters need to know it's NOT OK! [url=http://www.resumetheft.com]Report Resume Theft | Don't Pay for a Resume that was Spammed. Don't Let Your Resume Be Spammed.[/url]

Old 08-14-2014, 08:56 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
There are so many things wrong with this statement. First, I never said the recruiter submitted me for a job I wanted. In fact, I don't even know what job they submitted me for. Second, why would I want to skip using the recruiter and apply to the company directly? If I did that, my resume would just end up in HR along with thousands of other resumes. I'd rather go through a recruiter who can get me past HR. And third, the recruiter doesn't get a cut of my pay. Whether I go through them or apply on my own, I get the same salary. The only difference is that in addition to my salary, the company pays the recruiter their fee. That's not coming out of my pocket.

The difference is that those jobs are posted to their own website. But a lot of companies don't post openings because they know they'll get flooded with resumes. Instead, they turn to a placement firm to serve as a filter. Now imagine you're a company and you turn to a recruiter to fill a DBA job. The recruiter sends you my resume which says that I'm a web developer. Since it's not even close to what you want, you reject me. A month later, you need to hire a web developer. You call up the recruiter again. He sends you my resume. But then you say "sorry, but he's already in our system." I've had plenty of friends who'd lost out on jobs for this reason alone.

Just so you're aware - a recruiters job is to fill positions for a company that hires them, not find new jobs for people who have contacted them.

If you aren't the right candidate for a position, your resume will end up in the recruiters database along with thousands of other resumes.

In the event you're solely relying on independent recruiters to find you a job, I thought I'd throw that out there. Recruiters are just one resource for landing a job, and they're not working to find any individual a job unless they're being paid to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search