Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 04:03 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Wow-you sound like my old boss from years ago. Women have no place in the workforce if they decide to have children. Please-it's old and antiquated. At the school district when I started the policy in the contract read-"maternity leave was up to the discretion of the supervisor." Well believe me-he wanted you to pop out the baby and be back in the drivers seat of that school bus in 3 weeks max. Doesn't always work that way. I had a c-section that had complications-TMI for here to discuss-but it wasn't good. He flipped because the Dr wouldn't allow me to drive(I also wasn't allowed to drive my own car either), so I was "told to resign" my job since it was 4 weeks and I couldn't do my job. Nice guy huh? Next pregnancy I hid it until the 9th month(which was wearing bulking jackets and avoiding him until it got too hot in June)-I stayed driving that school bus til 7 days before my middle child was born-the last day of school. I went back on Aug.31st.

Maternity leave or even leave for a illness shouldn't be a issue. Look at the news this past week. Firing a guy because his wife has terminal cancer and he needed to modify the work schedule . It's backfired on them. Only here in America do we penalize people for having a child or becoming ill. Says a LOT about how low our values have become and how priorities are off. It's a sad state of affairs.
I'm sorry to hear about your troubled delivery, but if a woman cannot do the job, why is she even working? The wife with a terminal illness is a wholly different situation. I feel that we should have nationalized healthcare for situations such as that case. I think that women who take a job and know that they are trying to get pregnant are doing the company and their fellow workers a disservice by milking the benefits and pawning off the work on everyone else who works there.
I think that it also reflects low values when a woman or man pawns off the work/costs to their fellow workers and employer simply to take a "time out" to have their baby. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Last edited by wehotex; 06-18-2011 at 04:17 PM..

Old 06-18-2011, 04:18 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,323 times
Um, because childbirth leaves a huge, bleeding internal wound in the woman? In the US the healing time is covered by short term disability (typically 6 weeks for vaginal birth, 8 weeks for c-section) then any additional time is unpaid. That's not exactly "milking it".

And after 40 weeks of pregnancy, 6 or 8 weeks of recovery period is certainly nothing compared to having to raise a kid for the next 18 years. I hardly think they are breeding in order to get a 'vacation'.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:19 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your troubled delivery, but if a woman cannot do the job, why is she even working? The wife with a terminal illness is a wholly different situation. I feel that we should have nationalized healthcare for situations such as that case. I think that women who take a job and know that they are trying to get pregnant are doing the company and their fellow workers a disservice by milking the benefits and pawning off the work on everyone else who works there.
I think that it also reflects low values when a woman or man pawns off the work/costs to their fellow workers and employer simply to take a "time out" to have their baby. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
That's a old fashioned statement. And it's not reflective of the times. Being the work I did involved children-gee the stork didn't bring them to school full grown after all-they got here somehow and it's how school district's stay in business. The only time I had someone "pick up my slack" was when I had to put chains on my bus when pregnant. But we had a deal with the mechanics-they put chains on-we feed them. Good thing the guys I worked with didn't feel they were picking up our slack-but were decent and treated us well when we were having kids-any one of us.

Now the place I work with they come to work high or still drunk after a "Thirsty Thursday". So I am picking up the slack of MEN that can't handle work sober. It goes both ways. As to values-they are down the tube in the USA. Everyone is expendable at work. No one is immune.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
It really makes me wonder which kind of environment you people work in that you get all uptight over this minor stuff.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:41 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
It's the law, and it's not just for pregnant women, but anyone with an illness or family member with illness needing help. Look up FMLA.
this.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:18 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Obviously 2 great quotes from the men's side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
In many of my jobs, I've noticed that women are allowed to take off as much time as they want to go off and deliver and care for their baby, regardless of what their position requires. The other workers are left to pick up her slack. Or in my current situation, nobody is left to pick up the slack.
Why do employers take the hit on the bottom line and allow pregnant women to game the system like this?
It's the law. It's not the law's fault, or the woman's fault that the company is not covering the forgotten responsibilities during this time. That can be irresponsible for a company to miss. If you don't like it find another job or go work in another country and see how they handle it across the "pond". It just is and you are going to have to put up with it for the rest of your working life, whether you like it or not. I can't even believe you said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by >'.'< View Post
If a woman needs to leave work to have a baby then she should have to formally put in her two weeks notice and then re-apply for the position if it is still available when she decides to return to work
She does usually give more than 2 weeks notice and even then sometimes her job isn't available. An employer only has to provide her with "a job" not necessarily "her job" upon her return from maternity leave. If you don't like it you can always leave the country.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:29 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by >'.'< View Post
If a woman needs to leave work to have a baby then she should have to formally put in her two weeks notice and then re-apply for the position if it is still available when she decides to return to work
Just because they don't tell YOU two weeks beforehand does not mean they have not told their employer that they will be leaving.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:59 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
It's not with every company like it's a mandatory thing, but rather a company perk companies offer employees so they attract the best workers and is no diffent than how much vacation time and sick time companies give their employees and the amount of healthcare they provide among other things.

In addition, to my knowledge, there are certain safety nets for the employer as in they do not have to keep her existing job open to her when she returns, but merely provide an equivalent position upon her return. That goes along with any leave of absence.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:43 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
Um, because childbirth leaves a huge, bleeding internal wound in the woman? In the US the healing time is covered by short term disability (typically 6 weeks for vaginal birth, 8 weeks for c-section) then any additional time is unpaid. That's not exactly "milking it".

And after 40 weeks of pregnancy, 6 or 8 weeks of recovery period is certainly nothing compared to having to raise a kid for the next 18 years. I hardly think they are breeding in order to get a 'vacation'.
In school districts, government agencies here in NYS-disability is NOT offered. Because they are funded by public funds-workers are not able to have disability insurance. It's why I lost my job after I shattered my ankle. I had nothing to live on the entire time I was out from my job that year before I was let go for health reasons.

So if they get disability so be it. How many people do you see milk the workman's comp issue? LOTS.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:02 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
How come pet owners can't get maternity/paternity leave to bond with their newly adopted pets?
I think a little leg humping before and after work is sufficient bonding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment