Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:52 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times

Advertisements

feels like im running out of time.

completing my associates this summer, then have a big decision to make, whether to finish my bachelors or just continue working where im at now.

what i do know is i want to work for myself and be an entrepreneur. in what capacity, i dont know.

im real hesitant though of continuing my education, especially if it'll land me in big debt.

i have some savvy computer skills, can design sites, do seo. i always wanted to do something online, but i just dont know what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 12:21 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,438 times
You could always build computers in the back of your vehicle and sell them off the main road.

-Michael Dell

Old 06-19-2011, 05:13 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Are you happy where you are working now? Do you have the self-discipline to research, make contacts and pursue your entrepreneurial interests? Would getting a bachelor's move you towards a goal you want, or would it be a way of delaying having to make some decisions?

These are some of the questions you need to honestly ask. Only you can come up with the right direction for yourself.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:44 AM

219 posts, read 541,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
feels like im running out of time.

completing my associates this summer, then have a big decision to make, whether to finish my bachelors or just continue working where im at now.

what i do know is i want to work for myself and be an entrepreneur. in what capacity, i dont know.

im real hesitant though of continuing my education, especially if it'll land me in big debt.

i have some savvy computer skills, can design sites, do seo. i always wanted to do something online, but i just dont know what.
Stay away from military recruiters, I mean that because you are IDEAL!!!

Actually I'm being sincere, why not have a talk with one or two because you'll receive good pay, OJT right away and they can arrange for a BA/BS without going into debt.

If that's not for you than my opinion would be to continue working and get a BA/BS degree at night. Going into debt for a degree doesn't make sense anymore because it will hound you for ages and you will lose more overall than gain, what with the sacrifices, lost opportunities and such. You yourself will know whether a degree would be beneficial if you go into business for yourself (versus night courses targeted toward your business or business courses overall).

If you have the ability to graduate at the top of the class from a big name university, then absolutely go for it. The job(s) you land upon graduation will pull you out of debt and put you on a nice road to success in relatively no time, but plan on a few years 'paying your dues'. (I'd also add getting the degree in something the Bureau of Labor and Statistics has cited as "in demand" or growing, otherwise you will feel you've wasted the money working at McDonuts).

Old 06-19-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersied View Post
Stay away from military recruiters, I mean that because you are IDEAL!!!

Actually I'm being sincere, why not have a talk with one or two because you'll receive good pay, OJT right away and they can arrange for a BA/BS without going into debt.

If that's not for you than my opinion would be to continue working and get a BA/BS degree at night. Going into debt for a degree doesn't make sense anymore because it will hound you for ages and you will lose more overall than gain, what with the sacrifices, lost opportunities and such. You yourself will know whether a degree would be beneficial if you go into business for yourself (versus night courses targeted toward your business or business courses overall).

If you have the ability to graduate at the top of the class from a big name university, then absolutely go for it. The job(s) you land upon graduation will pull you out of debt and put you on a nice road to success in relatively no time, but plan on a few years 'paying your dues'. (I'd also add getting the degree in something the Bureau of Labor and Statistics has cited as "in demand" or growing, otherwise you will feel you've wasted the money working at McDonuts).

where is the in demand and growing list

Old 06-19-2011, 08:38 AM

123 posts, read 245,674 times
Here is the link to the BLS occupational handbook: Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition

Considering the debt situation and employment scene nowadays, if you want to finish your Bachelors, do it part-time. That way you will be earning and getting work experience.

Like Jersied said, unless you are in a top program in a top college, getting into debt does not make sense. But finishing your bachelors part-time is a good idea because even if you start a business now, later on if you need a job, a degree helps.

That is one of the main reasons that several people I know completed their degrees or encouraged their kids for a degree.

Btw, what field are you in? If you are into IT, then there are so many industry certifications that you can do. I know college dropouts and high school graduates who are making good money with just the certifications, but they have to constantly update themselves.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I don't know what you plan on doing, but I do know that you need to find a niche, specialize in that area, then people come to you.

For example, rather than being a guy who fixes computers--a dime a dozen--specialize in setting up and maintianing home networks, or fixing computers with adaptive equipment, something not everyone does--and you get payment from agencies, no private individuals.

So, whatever you do...find a specialty. That is the key.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't know what you plan on doing, but I do know that you need to find a niche, specialize in that area, then people come to you.

For example, rather than being a guy who fixes computers--a dime a dozen--specialize in setting up and maintianing home networks, or fixing computers with adaptive equipment, something not everyone does--and you get payment from agencies, no private individuals.

So, whatever you do...find a specialty. That is the key.
thats the problem, i dont know what to do. i have too many things fluttering around in my head.

one day i want to get into adventure tourism business, the next i want to be an air traffic controller. the next day i want to get into real estate and buy/rehab properties, and the next i want to run an online business, and then the next i want to do government work, and then the next day i want to be a truck driver, and then the next day i want to be a day trader.

the work im doing now is dead end and not going anywhere, but i make a decent wage. its not what i want to do forever though.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 AM

123 posts, read 245,674 times
If you have no family to provide for and no other such stuff to handle, then just do it. If you don't want to have regret later on, then just pick the most rational of the dreams/ambitions that you have and jump into it.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:13 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Don't feel like you're running out of time. I'm older than you and still don't know what I want to do. Just go with the flow. Enjoy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment