Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:01 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,701,031 times

Advertisements

1st week at work and I'm trying to figure out how to get along with this guy that basically a smart a**. He thinks everything he says is funny and it really isn't. Everytime ya ask him something or make a comment he has to "comment" on it and I'm finding it hard to keep my cool and hold my tongue.

Its not an environment where i can just walk away and avoid him either. We're all sorta in the same room together for hours on end.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
Obviously he likes attention. Ignore him as much as you can. Zone out when he talks to you.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:22 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,701,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Obviously he likes attention. Ignore him as much as you can. Zone out when he talks to you.

Oh my, I'll try I think I can block him out. There's lotsa activity going on and others to talk to to pass the time, but when he's the one ya gotta deal with or when you overhear little comments about you when he thinks you can't hear him, its like..."Okay just walk away, don't make waves this early in the game". Its hard.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:45 PM

129 posts, read 444,798 times
Generally people like that will screw something up and suddenly become the center of attraction for entirely different reasons. He'll then shut his trap.
Give it some time and enjoy the moment when no one will let him live it down.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:46 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,055,650 times

Old 11-11-2008, 08:17 PM

81 posts, read 341,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
1st week at work and I'm trying to figure out how to get along with this guy that basically a smart a**. He thinks everything he says is funny and it really isn't. Everytime ya ask him something or make a comment he has to "comment" on it and I'm finding it hard to keep my cool and hold my tongue.

Its not an environment where i can just walk away and avoid him either. We're all sorta in the same room together for hours on end.

Any advice?

Im in a call center and I am around a couple people like that too..

What I do is keep the convo to a minimum and when I do have to talk to them I keep it straight business with a straight face and go right back to looking at what I was looking at before.

Good luck...!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:27 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
Get over it. At least he isn't sabotaging your work and spreading malicious gossip and being unfriendly.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:08 AM

259 posts, read 1,042,088 times
I was once in that situation. The other 2 ladies I worked with gossiped about everything. I did not converse with them unless it was concerning business. They started giving me the cold shoulder and started saying things to our boss about me that weren't even close to the truth. I was always defending myself. I felt very uncomfortable and decided to find another job. The same thing was going on there as well, but not as severe. I always end up working with females who just can't seem to help themselves. And then there is the jealousy. If you dress & maybe look better, or they think you have a better life you well also experience a difficult time. I've seen it all. The only enjoyment I'm getting now since I've been unemployed is being away from the office atmosphere. Oh, by the way, I'm a female. I much prefer working with males whom I have found often are not game players. I feel so much more at ease around them.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:19 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnabunz View Post
Im in a call center and I am around a couple people like that too..

What I do is keep the convo to a minimum and when I do have to talk to them I keep it straight business with a straight face and go right back to looking at what I was looking at before.

Good luck...!

Listen to Cinnabunz. Great advice. Mind your work and don't get involved in conversations with the guy; always make it "about work" and having to get back to it.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:38 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,942 times
I'm kinda in a similiar situation, I'm in my mid 40's doing a trade I have over 10 years experience in and a smarta** kid 23 years old who's been at it for 6 mos. trys to advise me and is generally an obnoxious punk. The problem is you can't go to management about it because they just may come up with the old "you don't want to get along routine", been there and done that. It is vey hard to ignore and ignoring it may just be the green light for him to lay it on even more. I think it's a fine line to walk but what seems to be working for me is give the smartmouth some lip back occasionally and definitely and most importantly outperform him, be better at the job than he is, and when you outperform him, remind him of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment