Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 12:27 PM

114 posts, read 121,796 times

Advertisements

How would I get started with this other than applying at the Dept of Justice?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 01:11 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,322 times
Hi are you talking about catching them in particular, or catching a specific one? If you are referring to catching a particular one, I would sure like to help you with that....boy, would I love to help you with that!

Old 06-26-2011, 01:21 PM

No im 24 and gotta find a direction for my life and I think I have come to the conclusion that white collar criminals are the greatest evil walking around and I'd like to do some work that has some meaning and substance

Old 06-26-2011, 02:00 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
Are you wanting to be a Private Investigator or Private Detective working for yourself or some type of white collar bounty hunter?

Old 06-26-2011, 02:37 PM

white collar bounty hunter sounds good me

Old 06-26-2011, 03:09 PM

555 posts, read 877,080 times
Amazon.com: Modern Bounty Hunters: A Crime Fighters Training Manual (9781588208422): William B. McGhee: Books

This book is about all the different rewards various governmental units offer. It is all theory and no examples of people who actually got rewards.

It did inspire me to investigate a Nigerian organized crime group that defrauded companies through fake purchase orders. Companies would ship computers and other goods in the hundreds of thousands of dollars just on the basis of receiving a counterfeit purchase order from a real company. The goods were shipped to a phony store front where a hired pickup man would take delivery. I knew one such pickup man and he told me what he did and how they worked.

After I identified one of the Nigerians I attempted to negotiate a reward with the FBI to no avail, although two different Assistant US Attorneys were interested in my information. I learned the FBI has the final say whether to investigate, not the US Attorney.

Before I could get any money I learned the group had been busted while trying another one of their PO jobs.

Customs is also authorized by statute to pay rewards for drugs turned in to them of up to 25% of street value. But the statue says "may pay" so they never will. There would be a lot of vigilantes at the Mexican border if they actually paid rewards.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:19 PM

ok who else does this kinda work other than the USJD?

Old 06-26-2011, 07:32 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
A lot of white collar criminals are caught by forensic accountants, usually CPA's or auditors, who know how to look at financial records and piece together the case from reviewing transactions and many other factors.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go9ers View Post
No im 24 and gotta find a direction for my life and I think I have come to the conclusion that white collar criminals are the greatest evil walking around and I'd like to do some work that has some meaning and substance
To catch the best white collar criminals means you have to be one of the smartest guys in the room which takes alot of edcuation besides.That is why the FBI;etc employs so mnay specialty edcuated in society. Een then they are often out smart and some dumb move occurs. look at the SEC and maddofflthey could ven check if he was indeed trading. They had the autheroity to do that while you wouldn't.Those that suspected by returns could either but wrote SEC of their conclusipon ;wnating them to check.You'd be better to become a cop inless your highly trained at that age as it will take years to become a top cop workig hard to catch normal criminals.Its said that a police office requires three years on the job before he is of any real use at all to a department overall.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:24 PM

Nah Im not that old and I wanna work in the DC area plus i think white collar crime is much greater evil than the war on drugs so I dont wanna be a cop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment