Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:55 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,734,130 times

Advertisements

A couple weeks ago, I started this thread about falling out of favor with the COO when I was replaced by a former underling.

The Penultimate (Next to Last) Step in My Decline

Today I found out the COO who demoted me is starting a book club with my new replacement and his remaining direct reports. They will be selecting relevant books and discussing them at a meeting once a week. If this involved anyone else, it wouldn't really bother me. But this new "Finer Things Club" really rubs me the wrong way.

Note to self -- when I manage people again, I need to make sure I don't create a clique and exclusionary environment. Note to everyone -- please be aware of how your interactions are perceived.

The good news is, I had a good interview with another company last Friday. I really hope I'm on my way out of this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 07:17 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
Join the "club"...many of us have had your experience. I had a supervisor host a "Pampered Chef" party...I did not attend and buy some obligatory kitchen item...and was subsequently on the "bad list" for years. Wow...forgive me for having a life away from work.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:23 PM

460 posts, read 1,140,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Join the "club"...many of us have had your experience. I had a supervisor host a "Pampered Chef" party...I did not attend and buy some obligatory kitchen item...and was subsequently on the "bad list" for years. Wow...forgive me for having a life away from work.
AND not feeling obligated to buy some of their cr@p

Old 07-16-2012, 07:34 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,038,008 times
There are plenty of nuts out there who want to turn work into their own fan group, "finer things club," or whatever - and they'll hold it against you if you don't play along.

Good luck in finding a new place to work!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:44 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,517,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Gosh, that is horrid. I don't care for any of those social overpriced goods parties anyway. Everything is overpriced so everyone can make money off it. It's like a donation.

Bosses today are so fickle and insecure and practice this sort of favoritism.

It's like the person who bakes some peanut butter cookies and offers you one, and you say "no thanks" and they think you're rejecting THEM.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
There are plenty of nuts out there who want to turn work into their own fan group, "finer things club," or whatever - and they'll hold it against you if you don't play along.

I've had so many bosses like that. I am beginning to feel like a post-traumatic. I need just one boss in my life who is real and not a jerk, so I can have some faith in humanity again. But I am not holding my breath. Not in this economy.

How come the HR overlords aren't seeing this stuff? How come they let this kind of garbage go on? I once made a complaint about something like this, and was told, "Well, there are two sides to a story" and I said, "Yes, and they both can't be right."

Old 07-16-2012, 07:48 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,734,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

I'm not actually allowed to join, so I couldn't play along if I wanted to. He made it clear I am no longer to attend his staff meetings, and only those who attend the meetings get to be in the book club.

I am no doubt overly sensitive. On the bright side, I get to read things I want to read, instead of some boring business book.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
Yep...your days are numbered. Good luck on the job interview. I had a terrible boss once...and just kept putting up with the BS...I needed the health insurance and pay check..I should have quit. I found out later....with all the crap she pulled and the way I was treated I would have been eligible for UI.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:39 PM

I don't know how these people can live with themselves. They must think they are pretty savvy for being able to cut others off at the knees.

I had one snide, sarcastic, arrogant coworker who was really "in your face". I swear she was the boss' pipeline. She would try to get someone to say something bad about the boss. She tried it with me several times. I'd give a very neutral answer. "Oh come on, he is really inept at this, come on, admit it..." over and over, she was relentless.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 PM

607 posts, read 1,394,178 times
I'm the complete opposite. I'd much rather not be asked to join anything at work. It doesn't offend me a bit. Besides, I've never been one to "follow the crowd" anyways. I've always marched to the beat of my own drum, so to speak and that's the way I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment